Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Does the St Olaf Coach Keep His Job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Does the St Olaf Coach Keep His Job?

End of game, St Olaf has defeated Gustavus after a hard fought, physical game. Two players make contact in the corner of the rink near the St Olaf bench as the buzzer sounds. Instead of celebrating victory, the St Olaf player turns and swings at the Gustavus player, who swings back. Immediately two other players who are nearby start shoving. At that point, nothing terribly unusual has happened – obviously better if everyone had skated away, but I have seen games from time to time with some shoving at the end. Usually the refs step in and everything winds down quickly.

However, what happens next is unbelievable. The St Olaf coach lets his whole team leave the bench and skate into the corner. At that point the St Olaf players literally start mugging the two Gustavus players. One player, Gustavus’s Pat Dynan, is physically restrained by multiple players while St Olaf’s #25 repeatedly winds up with full punches to the body and face. The St Olaf students cheer wildly as Dynan is being punched again and again by #25, with virtually all the other St Olaf players in the scrum.

How did the St Olaf coach let his whole team go into the corner? How did he not do something to stop what was happening? (In contrast the Gustavus coach kept all his other players away – hard to watch, but absolutely the right thing to do.) When the refs finally broke it up, the St Olaf coach proceeded to walk up to the other Gustavus player in the corner, who while not being punched, was definitely being abused by a group of St Olaf players, and starts pushing the Gustavus player and lecturing him while he pushed him! Great way to calm things down, coach!

Absolutely unbelievable that St Olaf lets this guy keep coaching. What’s makes things worse is that the refs had no idea what was going on because the group of St Olaf players had totally surrounded the two Gustavus players. So, when it’s all said and done, they give game DQ’s to St Olaf’s #25 and Dynan. I assume Dynan got the DQ because he got his face and body in the way of the punches – hard to do too much else when other players are physically holding you back and a player is taking full cuts at you again and again.

All I can say is that St Olaf coach has no control of his team. I always thought St Olaf was a classy school – but I know the truth now. Does the St Olaf administration really encourage that kind of sportsmanship? Wow! What does that say about the school? I walked out of the arena glad that I had no connections with St Olaf. How sad that must be to part of a team like that.

Re: How Does the St Olaf Coach Keep His Job?

I guess we know which team your kid plays for.

Comment

Originally posted by GumpW View Post
      End of game, St Olaf has defeated Gustavus after a hard fought, physical game. Two players make contact in the corner of the rink near the St Olaf bench as the buzzer sounds. Instead of celebrating victory, the St Olaf player turns and swings at the Gustavus player, who swings back. Immediately two other players who are nearby start shoving. At that point, nothing terribly unusual has happened – obviously better if everyone had skated away, but I have seen games from time to time with some shoving at the end. Usually the refs step in and everything winds down quickly.

However, what happens next is unbelievable. The St Olaf coach lets his whole team leave the bench and skate into the corner. At that point the St Olaf players literally start mugging the two Gustavus players. One player, Gustavus’s Pat Dynan, is physically restrained by multiple players while St Olaf’s #25 repeatedly winds up with full punches to the body and face. The St Olaf students cheer wildly as Dynan is being punched again and again by #25, with virtually all the other St Olaf players in the scrum.

How did the St Olaf coach let his whole team go into the corner? How did he not do something to stop what was happening? (In contrast the Gustavus coach kept all his other players away – hard to watch, but absolutely the right thing to do.) When the refs finally broke it up, the St Olaf coach proceeded to walk up to the other Gustavus player in the corner, who while not being punched, was definitely being abused by a group of St Olaf players, and starts pushing the Gustavus player and lecturing him while he pushed him! Great way to calm things down, coach!

Absolutely unbelievable that St Olaf lets this guy keep coaching. What’s makes things worse is that the refs had no idea what was going on because the group of St Olaf players had totally surrounded the two Gustavus players. So, when it’s all said and done, they give game DQ’s to St Olaf’s #25 and Dynan. I assume Dynan got the DQ because he got his face and body in the way of the punches – hard to do too much else when other players are physically holding you back and a player is taking full cuts at you again and again.

All I can say is that St Olaf coach has no control of his team. I always thought St Olaf was a classy school – but I know the truth now. Does the St Olaf administration really encourage that kind of sportsmanship? Wow! What does that say about the school? I walked out of the arena glad that I had no connections with St Olaf. How sad that must be to part of a team like that.
      Get off your soapbox, your tears are puddling on the carpet. Your team lost and your trying to make it sound like an episode of "Murder She Wrote". Did they use electro shock therapy on dynan to?
      Once an Otter, always an Otter!
      Mike Donaghue, one of the best to every stand behind the Otter bench!

Comment

When the buzzer sounds, the players naturally leave the bench, regardless of what's going on on the ice. I doubt Goldsworthy heard the buzzer then told his team to go get that guy. That's just what happens at the end of the game.

Point/Superior a few weeks ago, there was a cheap shot with about 5 seconds left and the players on the ice gathered, then the final buzzer rang and both benches emptied, naturally, then there was chaos.

It's hockey, these things happen in the heat of the game. Maybe something happened on the ice that you cannot see from the stands, and Goldsworthy was telling the GAC player that this is what happens when you do 'X'?
        Wormser - Rowdy Crowd
        2008-2009 D-II/III Last Person Standing Champion
        2004-2005 D-II/III Last Person Standing Co-Champion
        2007-2008 D-II/III Last Person Standing Runner Up
        "...maybe I should be surprised about this, but then again, we are the Rowdy Crowd - everyone wants a piece. We are awesome." ~XYZ

Comment

Same thing almost happened in Oswego when some of the Adrian players bolted for the scrum in the circle...Gosek kept his team under quick wraps even if they were outnumbered on the ice. You could see him yelling at his players telling them to get back and actually jumped onto the ice and walked towards the scrum....nothing intentional by Fogarty tho...like Wormser said...it happens...
          Remy Babineaux
          remyb616@gmail.com
          D3FHL Web Page

Comment

I wonder what kind of "contact" it was at the buzzer....

Comment

From the box - at the 20:00 minute mark of the third (looks fairly even to me):

GUS-5 Patrick Dynan (10-Game Disqualification)
              GUS-6 Ross Ring-Jarvi (2-Roughing)

STO-5 Britton Smith (10-Game Disqualification)
              STO-6 Nate Weingarden (2-Roughing)
              STO-7 Justin Thomas (2-Roughing)

GAME TOTALS - Penalties/Minutes:
              Gustavus Adolphus - 6 / 23
              St. Olaf - 7 / 22
              Larry Normandin
              SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
              WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
                From the box - at the 20:00 minute mark of the third (looks fairly even to me):

GUS-5 Patrick Dynan (10-Game Disqualification)
                GUS-6 Ross Ring-Jarvi (2-Roughing)

STO-5 Britton Smith (10-Game Disqualification)
                STO-6 Nate Weingarden (2-Roughing)
                STO-7 Justin Thomas (2-Roughing)

GAME TOTALS - Penalties/Minutes:
                Gustavus Adolphus - 6 / 23
                St. Olaf - 7 / 22
                called penalties yes, but chippyness and the fustration penalties not even close...and no I am not saying oswego is a bunch of angels..but Adrian really really opened eyes for all the wrong reasons..
                Remy Babineaux
                remyb616@gmail.com
                D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
                  called penalties yes, but chippyness and the fustration penalties not even close...and no I am not saying oswego is a bunch of angels..but Adrian really really opened eyes for all the wrong reasons..
                  Not sure I get the connection with the St. Olaf vs Gustavus Adolphus game
                  Larry Normandin
                  SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
                  WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

I made such a mistake...

I need to apologize; I thought I understood hockey, but I obviously don’t. I appreciate the help from all of you who weren’t there to guide me into the following new understandings:

1) It’s obvious that if there is any altercation it’s always the losing team that initiates and sustains it.
                    2) Certainly it’s ok for a team that wins to gather round isolated player(s) and practice their best boxing moves. If you win, it’s your right to beat up opposing players – they probably deserved it anyway, and even if they didn’t it teaches them a good lesson!
                    3) I’m so sorry to discredit those cherubs from St Olaf, when it’s so clear that it was the disgruntled thugs from Gustavus who were behind it all. All game St Olaf tried to play clean, skilled, fast and smart only to have Gustavus ruin it all. And at the end of the game those twenty St Olaf players were only trying to protect themselves from those two big, mean Gustavus brutes. How could anyone think the St Olaf players had any possible option but to swarm the Gustavus player, hold him and punch repeatedly? They didn’t want to do that, but they were forced into it. Silly me to see it any other way.
                    4) Certainly the player who skated off the ice bleeding from the punches was just as responsible as that poor misunderstood St Olaf player who repeatedly had to hit him. It's hard to be any more unsportsmanlike than to put your head in the way of another players fists. How brave that St Olaf player was to be in with many of his teammates and keep punching the lone Gustavus player in that area. He had no choice, right, if his teammates were holding the Gustavus player, what could he do other than punch again and again? He should win an award for bravery and courage.
                    5) In the heat of battle pretty much anything is ok, right? Boys will be boys – whatever happens on the ice is ok. If you hurt someone, just remember it was during (or after) the game – no one can possibly be expected to stay in control of their emotions – players or coaches. Anything goes!
                    6) Referees are always in full control and see everything perfectly. Certainly no one in the stands could possibly see and understand any single incident better than the refs – game after game they are 100% perfect. The way they allocate coincidentals is always wise and true. Their judgment is unmatched and infallible. Therefore whatever is in the box score is exactly what happened in the game.
                    7) Finally, the St Olaf coach in his generosity and wisdom was only trying to help the Gustavus player by lecturing him. A good mentor picks those teachable moments and tries to help build character – what better time to lecture an opposing player than after that player has been swarmed by the your team.

I’m sure I’m just a disgruntled fan making up 99-100% of what happened. Of course St Olaf could always post the last 15 seconds of the game and the two minutes or so of post game Gustavus infractions on YouTube, but they’ve probably lost the copy – you know, those kind of things happen. It would prove conclusively what a wonderful squad those Oles are, but they don’t want to rub Gustavus’s nose in it. How thoughtful.

Comment

Re: I made such a mistake...

Originally posted by GumpW View Post
                      I need to apologize; I thought I understood hockey, but I obviously don’t. I appreciate the help from all of you who weren’t there to guide me into the following new understandings:

1) It’s obvious that if there is any altercation it’s always the losing team that initiates and sustains it.
                      2) Certainly it’s ok for a team that wins to gather round isolated player(s) and practice their best boxing moves. If you win, it’s your right to beat up opposing players – they probably deserved it anyway, and even if they didn’t it teaches them a good lesson!
                      3) I’m so sorry to discredit those cherubs from St Olaf, when it’s so clear that it was the disgruntled thugs from Gustavus who were behind it all. All game St Olaf tried to play clean, skilled, fast and smart only to have Gustavus ruin it all. And at the end of the game those twenty St Olaf players were only trying to protect themselves from those two big, mean Gustavus brutes. How could anyone think the St Olaf players had any possible option but to swarm the Gustavus player, hold him and punch repeatedly? They didn’t want to do that, but they were forced into it. Silly me to see it any other way.
                      4) Certainly the player who skated off the ice bleeding from the punches was just as responsible as that poor misunderstood St Olaf player who repeatedly had to hit him. It's hard to be any more unsportsmanlike than to put your head in the way of another players fists. How brave that St Olaf player was to be in with many of his teammates and keep punching the lone Gustavus player in that area. He had no choice, right, if his teammates were holding the Gustavus player, what could he do other than punch again and again? He should win an award for bravery and courage.
                      5) In the heat of battle pretty much anything is ok, right? Boys will be boys – whatever happens on the ice is ok. If you hurt someone, just remember it was during (or after) the game – no one can possibly be expected to stay in control of their emotions – players or coaches. Anything goes!
                      6) Referees are always in full control and see everything perfectly. Certainly no one in the stands could possibly see and understand any single incident better than the refs – game after game they are 100% perfect. The way they allocate coincidentals is always wise and true. Their judgment is unmatched and infallible. Therefore whatever is in the box score is exactly what happened in the game.
                      7) Finally, the St Olaf coach in his generosity and wisdom was only trying to help the Gustavus player by lecturing him. A good mentor picks those teachable moments and tries to help build character – what better time to lecture an opposing player than after that player has been swarmed by the your team.

I’m sure I’m just a disgruntled fan making up 99-100% of what happened. Of course St Olaf could always post the last 15 seconds of the game and the two minutes or so of post game Gustavus infractions on YouTube, but they’ve probably lost the copy – you know, those kind of things happen. It would prove conclusively what a wonderful squad those Oles are, but they don’t want to rub Gustavus’s nose in it. How thoughtful.
                      Let me ask a second time - what kind of "body contact" was there at the buzzer? That could change the context oh-so-slightly.

Comment

Joey, I would say that the contact was insignificant, truthfully it could be words more than contact that initiated stuff.

But in any case, I would say two things - 1) I'd love for St Olaf to post that portion of the game video so we can all see, and 2) what exactly could the Gustavus player have done that would have justified another Gustavus player being mugged? If he had tripped the St Olaf player (not that he did), would it then be ok to beat up another player? If he had swung his stick (not that he did), would it then be ok to gang-punch another player? What exactly would he have had to do to in order for it to be ok for the St Olaf players to swarm in off the bench, isolate and manhandle the two Gustavus players in that corner?

Even if the Gustavus player had done something inappropriate, wouldn't the right thing to be for the St Olaf coach to call his players AWAY from the area, and let the refs (in their wisdom) take care of the situation?

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
                          What are you talking about?
                          Wormser - Rowdy Crowd
                          "...maybe I should be surprised about this, but then again, we are the Rowdy Crowd - everyone wants a piece. We are awesome." ~XYZ

Comment

Is Dynan out for tonight?
                            WATCH Stout Blue Devil Hockey Live!

Stout Student Section: Devils' Advocates

NCHA Peters Cup Playoff Champions: 08-09
                            NCHA Regular Season Championships: 06-08 (Shared)
                            WIAC Championships: 10-11
                            NCHA Runner-Up: 07-08
                            NCAA National Tourney Appearances: 07-08, 08-09

Webmaster & Tech Guru - www.stouthockey.com - DIII Hockey's most popular fan site.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueDevilRadio View Post
                              Is Dynan out for tonight?
                              Should be, got a Game DQ.
                              Wormser - Rowdy Crowd

Comment

Working...
                              X