2009-2010 Official Vermont Season Thread : The Sequel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2009-2010 Official Vermont Season Thread : The Sequel

I like all the optimism but lets be honest about the situation. We are still in 9th -outside looking in. UMASS has the tiebreaker. We have to play BU once (and they are going to be angry) and UML twice at their house.

I think we are still in a very tough spot here. UMASS could right their ship next weekend. Maine has been up and down lately. I think Maine and UMASS likely split - meaning that UVM has to take a minimum of three of the final six available points, and possibly four, in order to get in.

I love the way the Cats are playing right now (except for Madore who was completely out of position on the Warsofski goal on Friday and was thoroughly outplayed by Foster in Durham the prior Friday).

There may be some truth to the team coming together minus Milo, or it may that they play better with their backs against the wall, or it may be that other teams are taking them more lightly. We don't know for sure, but we do know that they need to keep it up and get POINTS in these final three RS games......

Cats play at the same time as the Gold medal game on Sunday. CRAP. That will cut down on attendance. I will be there and DVR the US/CA game, but I hope the PA does not announce the olympic game score.....

Stowe was fantastic near the summit today and slushy at the base, crust under the fresh snow in the woods made it less desireable but still nice to get out. Mud season is here early...

Go Cats.

Comment

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
      Great dominating win! Despite all their troubles this year, they're still 13th in the Pairwise rankings and, in my opinion, playing about as well as they have all season. Who knows, [B]maybe Milo and his attitude was a cancer on the team [/B]and, now that he's gone, they can focus on playing hockey. They've certainly played with a lot more focus and energy with him gone. Gotta keep it going Sunday--Go Cats, Go!
      Brilliant...you have hit the nail on the head!!!
      Like a turkey at Thanksgiving, I'm stuffed

Comment

Originally posted by hockeymascot View Post
        Brilliant...you have hit the nail on the head!!!
        Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Cat lover View Post
          I know that team isnt looking at 8th place, 6 teams are seperated by only 2 points with 3 games(2 for UMass & BC)to go. The Cats are only 2 points out of 4th and can make a big run if they continue to play well.

A look at next weeks schedule

UNH vs BC - No effect on VT here as far as playoffs go

Merrimack vs Prov - You would guess Merrimack gets 3-4 points here which could actually get them home ice if they win today as well.

Umass at Maine - Umass is in freefall losing 6 in a row by a score of 24-6 so I cant see them getting any points at Maine. So Vt should be safe for top 8.

NE vs BU - A split would help Vermont move up if we keep winning while a sweep by either would help us more if we struggle.

VT at UML - The Cats control thier fate here to pass UML.

If Maine,UNH and Providence can give us some help tonight it would be a big boost for VT going into the last weekend.
          Got that help tonight. Couldn't be a bigger two points on the line tomorrow.

Agree with boarder, hope they don't announce anything about the gold medal game, I'm sure many people will be recording.

Also agree with sterlippo1, UML is as tough a team as you could ask for to try to get into the playoffs against.

Don't think Franzon was hurt, think Sneddon was a little frustrated with his first period penalty and was just limiting his playing time in these all important games. No way Burrows is coming off wing. Even if they had to go to Herrington at some point they would just use a five man rotation, definitely managable at this level.

Comment

Originally posted by Ogilthorpe View Post
            Got that help tonight. Couldn't be a bigger two points on the line tomorrow.
            Vermont can go from a tie for 8th to 5th place with one win Sunday. The standings would look like this...

4. UML - 25pts
            5. VT - 24
            BU - 24
            NE - 24
            8. Merr - 23
            9. Umass -22

But Vermont would have tiebreaker on BU and NE so they would be in 5th place with a huge series vs UML the next weekend.
            New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

Originally posted by Ogilthorpe View Post
              Agree with boarder, hope they don't announce anything about the gold medal game, I'm sure many people will be recording.
              Even if they don't announce it, you guys will likely have a tough time avoiding the score. For example, just a fellow fan saying "Yeah, I just heard the US went up 2-1" or something like that.

I trying to decide which game to watch in real-time and which to DVR. I'd like to watch UVM and DVR the Olympics, but it's gonna have to be the other way around. The chances are nil of inadvertently hearing a UVM score on the Olympic telecast, but I suspect there'll be a very good chance of hearing the Olympic score on the UVM telecast.

Comment

Clutch win on Saturday. Didn't dominate like on Friday but played a solid game to get the 4 points.

It is just fitting that the UML series is huge considering the recent history....at least message board history.

Anybody know the ticket situation at UML?

Comment

UML uses TicketMaster who puts a $5.25 screwing fee on a $14 ticket. What a joke.

Comment

Talk about an important weekend of hockey. There are endless scenarios, but as far as I can tell the two most likely are:

(1) Play well against Lowell, make the HE playoffs and likely get an NCAA invite regardless of performance in HE playoffs (I think we'd likely make it even if we get eliminated in the first round of HE play, as long as we don't have upset tourney winners in major conference tournies that give autobids)
                    (2) Play poorly against Lowell, miss the HE playoffs and miss the NCAAs

I'm sure there are ways we can miss the playoffs and still squeak in to NCAAs as the last at large, and I guess there is a chance we make the HE playoffs, lose in the first round and miss the NCAAs, but I think there is a very high probability the outcome is one of the two above. (As unlikely as it is, I'm assuming there's no rule that if you miss the conference playoffs that you can't get an NCAA bid if you are like 14th in pairwise?)

In summary.....go get'em boys...to be safe we've gotta bring home 3 or 4 points...which will be very tough against a good Lowell team.

Comment

Originally posted by Catamount93 View Post
                      Talk about an important weekend of hockey. There are endless scenarios, but as far as I can tell the two most likely are:

(1) Play well against Lowell, make the HE playoffs and likely get an NCAA invite regardless of performance in HE playoffs (I think we'd likely make it even if we get eliminated in the first round of HE play, as long as we don't have upset tourney winners in major conference tournies that give autobids)
                      (2) Play poorly against Lowell, miss the HE playoffs and miss the NCAAs

I'm sure there are ways we can miss the playoffs and still squeak in to NCAAs as the last at large, and I guess there is a chance we make the HE playoffs, lose in the first round and miss the NCAAs, but I think there is a very high probability the outcome is one of the two above. (As unlikely as it is, I'm assuming there's no rule that if you miss the conference playoffs that you can't get an NCAA bid if you are like 14th in pairwise?)

In summary.....go get'em boys...to be safe we've gotta bring home 3 or 4 points...which will be very tough against a good Lowell team.
                      UVM is in a precarious position in the PWR standings. NU and BU, who UVM has good records against are currently TUCs, but very close to falling out. Merrimack and UMASS are just on the other side of the line, UVM has poor records against both. So, for UVM the PWR ratings are going to be very volatile. I think they need to get to the garden to get an NCAA bid. That or get really lucky and hope the right teams win (NU, BU) and lose (MC, UMASS).

Comment

Nice clutch win on sunday. The opposite of the mc series. Its all about peaking at the right time

How fitting that the uml series is so critical on all fronts for everyone

Comment

Good points, Gutt, I had not realized that potential issue with the TUCs.

However, I'm pretty sure UMASS is going in the wrong direction, so I don't imagine they'll work their way back into the top 25 pairwise (but you never know).

Merrimac is another story.

Even with all that, if we take 3-4 points I would imagine we'd stay at 12th pairwise or move up to 11th. Then we're in round one of the playoffs...I'd be surprised if a first round exit would move us below 14 at that point given we'll be playing a legit opponent. My guess is it would be extremely close as to whether we got in or not, we either just make it or just miss.

But hopefully we just play well both this weekend and in the HE playoffs and all this speculation is academic.

Lowell is tough, though. As much as their fan base is annoying on this site, I'm not at all thrilled about facing them in a must win weekend on the road. Realisticaly, I'm expecting we'll play well and get a split. That will be precarious.

Comment

Joe Fallon was traded this afternoon from the Blackhawks organization to the St. Louis Blues organization.

I predicted before the season and even late last season that UML would be the top team in HE and be the favorite to win in Boston. Still think they are that caliber of a team, strong in all positions. Their D I remember as being quite talented at both ends and is physical. UVM's D are going to have to also play physical while walking the fine line of staying out of the box. These teams could very well be playing back to back weekends too which would make for even more bad blood and intense hockey. Can't wait til' the weekend, might try to make at least one game...hope they're still servin' up cold one's at Tsongas.

Comment

Even with all that, if we take 3-4 points I would imagine we'd stay at 12th pairwise or move up to 11th. Then we're in round one of the playoffs...I'd be surprised if a first round exit would move us below 14 at that point given we'll be playing a legit opponent.
                              last year they were in 12th or 13th when they lost the 3 game series to UML at the Gut. Then they got to get rested for a weekend and still made the tourney. I think they need to again make it to the quarterfinal weekend and then will be okay, pairwise.

My guess is it would be extremely close as to whether we got in or not, we either just make it or just miss.
                              and if they just miss, the seniors can look in the mirror and place the blame squarely on their shoulders. It wasn't until the UNH weekend that this group decided to play. Like I said in an earlier post, maybe they finally realized that for most of them, after this season is over, their hockey careers are over too...
                              Remember the 5 "S's" of hockey - Speed, Size, Strength, Skill and Smarts - The more you have of these, the higher level you get to go to....

Comment

Even with all that, if we take 3-4 points I would imagine we'd stay at 12th pairwise or move up to 11th. Then we're in round one of the playoffs...I'd be surprised if a first round exit would move us below 14 at that point given we'll be playing a legit opponent. My guess is it would be extremely close as to whether we got in or not, we either just make it or just miss.
                                Oddly enough, in the RPI, holding all other teams constant, we would jump to ~10th from 16th with 4 points this weekend! In alot of our comparisons, we are losing solely based on RPI and this would likely pick up a few spots! Still very bubblicious though!

Go cats go this weekend!!!!
                                OCT 29, 2004 - The Day UVM Hockey turned around...

Comment

Working...
                                X