Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2009-2010 Official Vermont Season Thread : The Sequel

Originally posted by grantfan View Post
    On a much brighter note, I feel vindicated in my support of Brayden Irwin when I see that Brayden is one of only 75 candidates for the NCAA Skills competition. As this is similar to the Hobey Baker Award in that it is only open to US-born players, it is a tribute to Brayden that the NCAA made an exception for the big fellow.

If Brayden is not going to be a Walter Brown Trophy candidate in this, his senior year, then what better honor than to be selected by the NCAA as a candidate for the NCAA Skills competition.

Seriously ????????????
    *****http://eagleoutsider.com/phpbb/images/smilies/ohno.gif******

Well Clearly Irwin didn't get a nomination for the Walter Brown Award, which everyone except you knew wasn't going to happen. That silly citizenship thing....

Congrats to Madore, who actually was born in the US for his nomination.

Irwin was nominated for the skills competiton which is an honor for him. He has been having a good year. Not a HB year but a good year none the less. But really grantfan, I am confused to where you get your information. Can you point me to the rules that state a Hobey candidate must be a US born Player and where the same criteria is in the rules for a NCAA skills candidate?? Please, I am at a loss. Last I knew both of those awards were open to all NCAA hockey players regardless of where they were born. You may remember that last year Stalberg was nominated and he was from Sweden. You may also remember that in 1993 Paul Kariya won the award How did that happen being he is a Canadian??
    Originally posted by Hokydad
    Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

New commit for 2011

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/a...r-Gunnery-Prep

Have at it (G)rantfan.

Comment

BURLINGTON, Vt. –Freshman Erin Wente (Scottsdale, Ariz.) scored with two and a half minutes left in the game to give the University of Vermont women’s hockey team a 2-1 victory over No. 4 New Hampshire on Wednesday night at Gutterson Fieldhouse.

Might be the biggest win ever for the lady Cats.

Great job ladies!!!
        New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

Hey maybe Luuko's father wants to help with some of the funding for a new rink. . Looks to be a pretty solid player from what I have read

Comment

Please enjoy your four points this weekend.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
            -Blackadder
            "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
            -Casablanca
            "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
            -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
              Please enjoy your four points this weekend.
              Jon please don't get everyone's hopes up. It would be just like UVM to lay down for you guys and just give you Friday night's game. Even if that meant literally lying down on the ice, and every once in a while taking a seat in the penalty box when they started to get chilly. But rest assured they will come to play saturday.

Comment

Hadn't seen this,

Fallon was called up by the BlackHawks. He didn't play and was promptly sent back down to the AHL, but dressed.

It's going to be hard for him to get a shot in Chicago, they aren't in need of a goaltender. Too bad.

http://www.uvm.edu/~sportspr/mens_ho...&storyID=15950

Comment

Been offline all week, busy. Good snow at Stowe despite the brown everywhere else

The Cats totally outplayed Maine on Saturday but once again could not bury enough good chances to finish it

Madore made all the should have saves all weekend but did not make any or many GREAT saves that a team needs to win games against good competition

Still like the next two incoming classes a LOT

however, need another goalie next year with Vazzanon JR not coming until 2011?????

Predict a split this weekend, Cats are probably going to sneak into 8th and get killed by UNH in the playoffs. Good year to go snowboarding out west during HE playoffs....

Wish Grantfan would go off the grid. Get a life. 7 years ago 8th in HE would have been a big improvement, not a huge disappointment. It is the huge improvement in the program since Sneddon arrived that has set such high expectations that we are now disappointed at this juncture of the season.

At least they have not peaked yet! If that were to happen watch out.... Although arguably they are not going to.

Stalberg is reminding me more of his older sibling all the time. Not that I have the same expectation. But he's a better defensive player, and not quite as strong offensively. He's going to be good the next three years, along with McCarthy, Roos, and Pacan. The future is bright, sometimes you just have years where the talent does not come together (see BC last year, see BU the year before last)

Comment

Nice job tonight getting out early and putting the game away with solid play. Now comes the test can they do it again.

Interesting ECAC game Union 11-2 over Clarkson, All 6 goalies used and Union outshot Clarkson 48-19. Boy times they have changed. 11 goals used to be a average month for Union.
                    New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

Nice win for the Cats. Sounds like they came out skating and never let up. Yes it was PC, but league points are league points.

Kudos to the freshman line which continues to impress and contribute. They are going to be a good class. Lets hope this isn't a one and done wake up call but continues to stay in their heads that they need to come out and play hard 60 minutes a game EVERY game.

These points are critical, the win moves them up in the PWR. Play like last night and a season sweep it quite realistic and needed.

The series with MC next weekend becomes critical for the PWR as well. A sweep next weekend at home gains them 2-3 PWR match ups due to COP.

Everything is amazingly tight this year, so let's hope they pick it up and play like this from here on out.
                      Last edited by jcarter7669; 02-06-2010, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Too bad they could not get the 4th point.

This team just does not have the will. Losing Stacey (second leading goal scorer) indefinitely does not help.

Nice weekend for the freshman line though

I continue to be encouraged about the future, next year could be a bit scary but I like the incoming classes the next two years on top of this years freshmen.

I figure a split with Mack, split with BU, swept by UNH and split with UML. They will likely finish two games below .500 and about 7th and go to Maine/UNH/UMASS or BC for the playoffs. I would prefer UMASS of all of those possibilities....

Now, we need some snow up here.....

Comment

Originally posted by snwbrdr View Post
                          Too bad they could not get the 4th point.

This team just does not have the will. Losing Stacey (second leading goal scorer) indefinitely does not help.

Nice weekend for the freshman line though

I continue to be encouraged about the future, next year could be a bit scary but I like the incoming classes the next two years on top of this years freshmen.

I figure a split with Mack, split with BU, swept by UNH and split with UML. They will likely finish two games below .500 and about 7th and go to Maine/UNH/UMASS or BC for the playoffs. I would prefer UMASS of all of those possibilities....

Now, we need some snow up here.....
                          A bit pessimistic I think. I can see a sweep of MC at the Gutt. MC is 0-9-0 on the road this year.
                          A split with Bu is a good bet, that series is iffy, BU seems to have picked things up quite a bit.
                          UNH is also iffy, they got swept by a good ME team this weekend, and have been excellent in league but horrible OOC. What does that mean ...I don't know, maybe they were playing over their heads a bit? Getting good bounces ? We got a few weekends to see if they bounce back from the weekend sweep or not. If they do then sweep, if not split.
                          UML is hard to say, they have not impressed me at all this year. They have lost to some middle of the pack teams and coasted through a weak schedule. Depends on if they go on a run at the end or not. I say split at the worst.

I think that they should end up around .500 probably in 6th or 7th which looks like they will be playing ME or BC. Should also be good for a 4th seed in the NCAA.

This weeks series at MC is huge. MC is a COP in alot of the PWC that UVM is currently using and if they were to sweep MC I believe it makes a difference of 2 PW wins. Haven't figured it out in a while but that's what it was 2-3 weeks ago when I went though them.

Either way the team needs to hit it's stride and finish strong. They will end up on the road for the playoffs but, they can truly be a wild card. They have shown they can play and compete with the best teams in the country when they want to .

Comment

I agree with JCarter, not an overly optimistic assessment. But I know your prediction is based on what they will do and not what they can do. I'll go with a sweep of Mack, a split with BU, a split with UNH, and a 3 point weekend against UML. That may be too much to ask, but I know if things finally come together they can do even better than that!

Comment

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
                              I agree with JCarter, not an overly optimistic assessment. But I know your prediction is based on what they will do and not what they can do. I'll go with a sweep of Mack, a split with BU, a split with UNH, and a 3 point weekend against UML. That may be too much to ask, but I know if things finally come together they can do even better than that!
                              I see it more like snwbrdr. MC is 0-9 on the road but leave it to this team to give them their first points. I see a split with BU or UNH and a sweep loss to the other and a split with UML.

Given the way UVM is playing I just don't see them moving up. The Maine series said it all..

Comment

This team just does not have the will. Losing Stacey (second leading goal scorer) indefinitely does not help. It really hurts when your choices of Stacey's replacment are 1 goal scorers, Marshall or Anctil

I continue to be encouraged about the future, next year could be a bit scary but I like the incoming classes the next two years on top of this years freshmen. I disagree, the future is not really scary but what would be scary is no snow next year and you spending more time on the message boards.

I figure a split with Mack, split with BU, swept by UNH and split with UML. They will likely finish two games below .500 and about 7th and go to Maine/UNH/UMASS or BC for the playoffs. I would prefer UMASS of all of those possibilities.... Could you maybe include NU also in forecast? But yes, UMass would be the best since they roll 2 lines and we could still be rolling 4.
                                Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                                This weeks series at MC is huge. Versus MC at the Gutt... MC is a COP in alot of the PWC that UVM is currently using and if they were to sweep MC I believe it makes a difference of 2 PW wins. Haven't figured it out in a while but that's what it was 2-3 weeks ago when I went though them. 2-3 weeks ago, Ted Kennedy was dead but was still the incumbent in Massachusetts before the Scott Brown win. A lot changes in 2 to 3 weeks but hopefully you will be able to analyze this in the coming weeks.
                                Originally posted by kdaddy View Post
                                Given the way UVM is playing I just don't see them moving up. The Maine series said it all..
                                and the Providence weekend showed even more...a tie against a horrible team when 2 wins were necessary, also says it all....
                                Last edited by observer85; 02-07-2010, 04:25 PM.
                                Remember the 5 "S's" of hockey - Speed, Size, Strength, Skill and Smarts - The more you have of these, the higher level you get to go to....

Comment

Working...
                                X