Goalie Camps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goalie Camps

Looking for advice on goalie camps in the Montreal, Toronto or New England area. Thanks.

Re: Goalie Camps

Mitch Korn puts on a good camp here in New England, but it is a day camp.

Comment

Originally posted by Goalie Dad View Post
      Looking for advice on goalie camps in the Montreal, Toronto or New England area. Thanks.
      Vincent Riengeau goalie camp at NAHA (In Vermont) is very good. It is an all girl camp with two on ice and two off ice sessions every day along with activities at night. All the girls stay at NAHA. Lodging, meals, and transportation are provided and included in the camp fee. Shooters are collegiate level players. Goalies attending should be in decent shape. The first session every day is focused on movement with a lot of repetition and skating. Afternoon sessions are incorporation movement with pucks. Goalies are exhausted by the end of the day but from my daughter's experience, they make life long friends. She attended the camp for the last 4 years.

Here is a link to the camp: NAHA GOALIE CAMP
      GOT ICE? PLAY HOCKEY

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world," Calvin.

“If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.” Thomas Jefferson.

Comment

The Canadian Goaltending Academy is in Barrie, Ontario and worthy of consideration. They offer individual and group training year-round and is worth the drive. www.cangoal.com

Comment

The link for Mitch Korn's camp dates/locations is

http://www.mitchkorn.com/goalieschools.html

As mentioned, these are day camps, but I know families often camp out at hotels at these locations. My daughter stayed with a friend in the town where it was run.

His camps are big (ever see 30 goalies on the ice at one time in 10 stations?), but he hires and travels with his own crew (usually ex-students). Very hands on during the on-ice sessions (moves from station to station) and seems to get familiar with every goalie during the week. Great props used in training to keep it interesting.

What age goalie? Mitch will take them from squirt age on up. Splits up most by age. Some of his camps are for older goalies (based upon location). Many locations fill up in less than a week and he will take in 60 goalies at some locations.

Comment

These are day camps, there is a hotel within walking distance to the rink. Quality instruction, small numbers,

Not sure what his summer schedule is,most of
            august though

www.cgdgoalies.com
            Last edited by hockeyeast; 01-06-2010, 06:52 PM. Reason: forgot the link

Comment

These are two very reputable ones with which we have experience:

Future Pro Goalie School run by Steve McKichan - Steve runs these in several areas throughout Ontario

Stop It Goaltending School run by Brian Daccord (several locations in MA - Tewksbury and Woburn)

Comment

Jon Elkins runs a top-notch camp out of Toronto. Extremely satisfied over the many years D has trained with Jon. http://www.elkingoaltending.com/

Comment

My daughter has attended the Elkins camp and it is very good. One thing I realized that after dropping $1,500 for a week at this camp is that I could get 15-20 semi-private lessons (i.e. 2:1 ratio). If you skated twice a week, the same amount of money would last 8-10 weeks. My daughter improved far more with this approach. One reason is that the same goalie coach saw her over the 8-10 weeks and got to know her strengths/weaknesses. The other reason is that she had time to recover from each session. She even had time to play in a summer league game between sessions and come back to work on fundamentals.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackBart View Post
                    My daughter has attended the Elkins camp and it is very good. One thing I realized that after dropping $1,500 for a week at this camp is that I could get 15-20 semi-private lessons (i.e. 2:1 ratio). If you skated twice a week, the same amount of money would last 8-10 weeks. My daughter improved far more with this approach. One reason is that the same goalie coach saw her over the 8-10 weeks and got to know her strengths/weaknesses. The other reason is that she had time to recover from each session. She even had time to play in a summer league game between sessions and come back to work on fundamentals.
                    Exactly. Better off finding someone with open ice, or synthetic which is cheaper, and working on movement and technique over the long haul.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackBart View Post
                      We have been using a private coach for years and supplemented with the camps. The camps gave my daughter opportunities to network. Also, regular camps are good also so don't give up on the "prospect" camp. Princeton has a good one and they bring in a goalie coach to work with the girls also.

Comment

Originally posted by gotice View Post
                        Vincent Riengeau goalie camp at NAHA (In Vermont) is very good. It is an all girl camp with two on ice and two off ice sessions every day along with activities at night. All the girls stay at NAHA. Lodging, meals, and transportation are provided and included in the camp fee. Shooters are collegiate level players. Goalies attending should be in decent shape. The first session every day is focused on movement with a lot of repetition and skating. Afternoon sessions are incorporation movement with pucks. Goalies are exhausted by the end of the day but from my daughter's experience, they make life long friends. She attended the camp for the last 4 years.

Here is a link to the camp: NAHA GOALIE CAMP
                        Heard good things about this camp from several parents of players who are currently starters in D1. We are talking about goalies from Ontario.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
                          Heard good things about this camp from several parents of players who are currently starters in D1. We are talking about goalies from Ontario.
                          yes it is a great camp. Two of the 18U goalies from Canada have attended this camp. One is currently at a DI school and the other is a senior in high school, don't know where she is going next year.

My daughter liked the fact that it was all girls, but they were treated like hockey players, not girls who happen to play hockey. it is a tough camp, but well worth it and the price is great for what is included
                          GOT ICE? PLAY HOCKEY

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world," Calvin.

“If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.” Thomas Jefferson.

Comment

Originally posted by gotice View Post
                            yes it is a great camp. Two of the 18U goalies from Canada have attended this camp. One is currently at a DI school and the other is a senior in high school, don't know where she is going next year.

My daughter liked the fact that it was all girls, but they were treated like hockey players, not girls who happen to play hockey. it is a tough camp, but well worth it and the price is great for what is included
                            I know where she is going, but not yet ready for public consumption.

Comment

Several top goalies (in or going D1) swear by the Allaire camp in Montreal. He has worked with many of the top NHL goalies also.

Comment

Working...
                              X