X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1989 Never Happened: MN Hosts Harvard

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Harvard sucks. (c)
    Unoriginal but true until the end of time.
    Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
      I could take a Skeets post and segue into practically anything.
      One must keep it simple for Skeets.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
      And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
      Twenty red lights in his honor
      Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
        One must keep it simple for Skeets.
        Skeets > *
        Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Unoriginal but true until the end of time.
          Wasn't trying to be original, just stating a fact. That's what I do.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Hold on to your butts!

Comment

Skeets > *
              Me = *

Comment

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/11/sp...11harvard.html

Just sayin'.

Comment

Nothing on ineptitude on google. I think I created the word, right after Al Gore and I created the internet.
                  Bob is making me concerned
                  I am the voice of reason

Comment

Originally posted by RedFreak View Post
                    Best quote in that piece:
                    “It’s a shame because we’re getting away from the real meaning of athletics being a part of the educational process,” Cleary said, his voice rising in frustration, “and it bothers me. I’m not sure it’s the right thing. In fact, I know it’s the wrong thing. We’re getting away from what college athletics is all about. It’s a joke.”

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
                      “It’s a shame because we’re getting away from the real meaning of athletics being a part of the educational process,” Cleary said, his voice rising in frustration, “and it bothers me. I’m not sure it’s the right thing. In fact, I know it’s the wrong thing. We’re getting away from what college athletics is all about. It’s a joke.”
                      Really? 'Cause I liked the part about how this year's freshmen were supposed to turn the team around...
                      If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

I love Cleary's idealism, I really do. He's a great man, and legend of our game.

But that toothpaste is out of the tube already and has been for years. I think that big time D-I athletics in revenue sports has morphed from a part of the educational process to a pre-professional training ground in and of itself, much as a college education has advanced from a luxury for the rich few to a pre-professional training ground today.

In Cleary's college days in the mid 1950s, 10% of Americans went to college, and Harvard was mostly an exclusive WASP bastion for men, and Harvard Hockey was a game played for serious fun by prep school grads. For most Harvard players of that era, Harvard and perhaps the Olympics was as good it got for a Harvard player.

Today, 65% of Americans are going to college, and Harvard has been transformed into much better school and more of a meritocracy for all different types of smart people, most training for their careers. And Harvard Hockey has evolved to effectively train a player for professional hockey, just as the B-school can prepare effective executives and the Divinity school trains effective clergy.

We're not going back to feel good era of the malt shop, letter sweaters and sock-hops. We have D-III and Club hockey for that. Harvard students are serious about their futures in all areas, and I have no problem with that extending to hockey players, either.

Comment

Hey, at least the Harvard players write their own term papers.

Comment

Originally posted by RedFreak View Post
                            Hey, at least the Harvard players write their own term papers.
                            And buy their own shoes.

Comment

And buy their own shoes.

Comment

And buy their own shoes.
                                *zinger*

Ba-dum-dum
                                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Working...
                                X