Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Potsdam Bears deserve their own thread....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Potsdam Bears deserve their own thread....

Originally posted by Saints17 View Post
    The Bears face Morrisville tomorrow night in a very big contest. Any points earned now will impact the standings.
    Here is one fan hoping for a win as the Bears begin their 4 game home stand.
    Gotta believe!!!!
    Any points earned at any point in the season will impact the season...
    Oswego'08, '10

From the shores of Lake Ontario to the island of Hilton Head...

2011-2012 SUNYAC Pick 'Em Champion!
    2011-2012 D3FHL Overall Points Champs!

Comment

Originally posted by Ozz View Post
      Any points earned at any point in the season will impact the season...
      Read Russell's article. Mustangs are SUNYAC eligible.
      Oswego State Great Lakers: 2007 National Champions
      08-09 WTOP 10 Sports Director
      2/20/2009: First Ever Laker Hockey Webcast

Comment

Originally posted by nysportsfan29 View Post
        Read Russell's article. Mustangs are SUNYAC eligible.
        I have...how does that impact my comment? Any points Potsdam or Morrisville or anyone has earned on October 24th or February 5th will imapct the standings the same way...
        Oswego'08, '10

From the shores of Lake Ontario to the island of Hilton Head...

2011-2012 SUNYAC Pick 'Em Champion!
        2011-2012 D3FHL Overall Points Champs!

Comment

Originally posted by Ozz View Post
          I have...how does that impact my comment? Any points Potsdam or Morrisville or anyone has earned on October 24th or February 5th will imapct the standings the same way...
          Perhaps he thought it didn't matter after the penalties to Buff St. and Geneseo were handed down and now does based on Morrisville being eligible.

No doubt you are correct, but everything is amplified down the stretch.
          Oswego State Great Lakers: 2007 National Champions
          08-09 WTOP 10 Sports Director
          2/20/2009: First Ever Laker Hockey Webcast

Comment

Ok ok....I phrased that incorrectly......

I had just learned about Morrisville's eligibilty for playoffs. Yes you are correct when you state points in Oct or Feb.....

Tough crowd....tough crowd.....
            LETS GO BEARS!

"Never play flag football in the nude"-Bob Kevoian

"Don't let anyone tell you what we do builds character, it only reveals it." J.Marsh

SUNY Potsdam '98

St.Lawrence '00

Mike St. Louis is not a BUM!

Comment

Before any asks about tonight's game........yes it was an impact.

Morrisville is a hard nosed team and a steady goaltender. I will not post anything further, until I collect my thoughts and not post profanity.
              LETS GO BEARS!

"Don't let anyone tell you what we do builds character, it only reveals it." J.Marsh

SUNY Potsdam '98

St.Lawrence '00

Comment

Boy this going to come off as sour grapes but I can only post from what I have seen.
                I am not taking anything away from Morrisville, they have a solid team and what not.
                I question the SUNYAC scheduling for this reason.......
                Why did Potsdam have to face Morrisville the first night during the season? There are distinct advantages to playing against a team on their second night of a two game weekend when you are fresh.
                This is the second year in a row for Potsdam to face Morrisville on the first night.
                Last edited by Saints17; 02-05-2010, 10:57 PM.
                LETS GO BEARS!

SUNY Potsdam '98

St.Lawrence '00

Comment

Boy this going to come off as sour grapes but I can only post from what I have seen.
                  I am not taking anything away from Morrisville, they have a solid team and what not.
                  Why did Potsdam have to face Morrisville the first night during the season? There are distinct advantages to playing against a team on their second night of a two game weekend when you are fresh.
                  This is the second year in a row for Potsdam to face Morrisville on the first night.
                  This is interesting. Looking back at the last two years, it does seem Morrisville has a higher winning percentage on Friday than Saturday of weekends with two games. I was set to come here the thread and blast this point, but with teams playing Morrisville only facing one opponent each week, there is likely something to be said for flipping Friday and Saturday games for fairness.
                  2010 D-III NCAA Tournament Pick'em Champion (Perfect Bracket)
                  2008-09 USCHO MIAC Correspondent
                  2007-09 WGSU Geneseo Play-by-play announcer
                  Bracketologist For That Other Site

Comment

Potsdam (4-8-1 - 8-11-2 overall), IMO has exceeded expectations, having undergone significant coaching changes and uncertainties in the past few years. Their ties against Plattsburgh & Norwich, while not wins, are nevertheless are impressive indeed, and their wins over Utica, Neumann and Skidmore are nice too. Sophomore goaltender, Trevor O'Neill over 16 games has faced 468 shots, stopping 409 of them resulting in a save percentage of .874. While freshman goaltender Andy Groulx has seen 6 games and faced 165 shots, stopping 148 for a save percentage of .897. All this while facing primarily teams of the SUNYAC & ECAC-W. With only 2 seniors on their roster and their leading goal scorer, sophomore Todd Hosmer (12 goals, 15 assists, 27 points), IMO they are well posed to return next season and make a statement in the SUNYAC.
                    Larry Normandin
                    SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
                    WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by Josh Carey View Post
                      This is interesting. Looking back at the last two years, it does seem Morrisville has a higher winning percentage on Friday than Saturday of weekends with two games. I was set to come here the thread and blast this point, but with teams playing Morrisville only facing one opponent each week, there is likely something to be said for flipping Friday and Saturday games for fairness.
                      Morrisville's win against Elmira came on a Friday night. The next night it was a 6-2 or 8-2 drubbing i believe in Morrisville.
                      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                      GO LAKERS!!!
                      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                      Oswego State '09

Comment

I thought Potsdam was on the brink of a special season but since they pulled off the upset and appeared to overachieve during the New Years Tournament at Norwich. Potty is litterally going down the toilet city. I predicted they would be a Dark Horse but something is going on over there because they don't seem to be the same hungry team since the upset of Norwich. Nothing to take away from Morrisville but it almost seems again like they take this team lightly and didn't learn from the first time that they beat Potsdam this year that they are not the same easy W as in the past. Mo'ville with a little luck could leap frog in front of P-Dam and C-land and claim the 5th spot since it seems like the Bears don't want it plus now own head to head over Potsdam if it comes down to a tie breaker. SUNYAC drama you gotta love it all over two schools who have been giving financial aid to Canadian Students for years become ineligible and yet the private schools that give a $40,000 scholarship/but really financial aid or is it scholarship so that the kid has to pay less than what it costs to go to a state school continue to get away with buying their teams. Poor Joe Public gets screwed again!

Comment

Originally posted by cooperalls View Post
                          I thought Potsdam was on the brink of a special season but since they pulled off the upset and appeared to overachieve during the New Years Tournament at Norwich. Potty is litterally going down the toilet city. I predicted they would be a Dark Horse but something is going on over there because they don't seem to be the same hungry team since the upset of Norwich.
                          Potsdam is having trouble putting the puck in the net lately.
                          Russell Jaslow
                          [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                          U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                            Potsdam is having trouble putting the puck in the net lately.
                            Could be their proximity to Plattsburgh
                            Larry Normandin
                            SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
                            WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

While there may be a some merit to your arguement, you're still grasping at straws. Your main competition in the league this year (Brockport, Cortland, Buff State) has the same scheduling in regards to Morrisville as Potsdam. The difference is somehow these teams have all managed to beat the Ponies. The issue here is not whether some teams in the league get an advantage playing the 2nd night, but whether or not Potsdam or Morrisville had an advantage due to scheduling against each other. The answer to that would be a big no as both teams had 6 days rest before this game. How does it get any more fair than that?
                              Last edited by 93GreatLaker; 02-06-2010, 01:58 PM.
                              93GreatLaker

2012-13 LPS Losers Bracket Champion
                              2011-12 LPS Losers Bracket Champion
                              2010-11 LPS Losers Bracket Champion
                              2008-09 DIII College Hockey Pool Champion
                              2008-09 SUNYAC Pick-em Champion

Comment

Originally posted by 93GreatLaker View Post
                                While there may be a some merit to your arguement, you're still grasping at straws. Your main competition in the league this year (Brockport, Cortland, Buff State) has the same scheduling in regards to Morrisville as Potsdam. The difference is somehow these teams have all managed to beat the Ponies. The issue here is not whether some teams in the league get an advantage playing the 2nd night, but whether or not Potsdam or Morrisville had an advantage due to scheduling against each other. The answer to that would be a big no as both teams had 6 days rest before this game. How does it get any more fair than that?

I don't see myself as "grasping at straws" here. Your 6 day arguement is correct, however how about Plattsburgh having 7 days rest to face Morrisville. I don't blame the teams, I find fault with the scheduling.
                                Regardless, the sun still came up today.
                                LETS GO BEARS!

SUNY Potsdam '98

St.Lawrence '00

Comment

Working...
                                X