2010 MLP Nations Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 MLP Nations Cup

Since the folks posting in the Canadian team thread seem obsessed with the junior men's tournament, I thought it would be appropriate to start a thread for a big junior women's tournament that involves a number of college players.
    Originally posted by Habs View Post
    MLP Nations Cup in Germany on next week. Host city Ravensburg is 100 miles southbound from Munich (the third largest city in Germany). Ravenburg is near the Alps. Tournament link here

http://www.ev-ravensburg.de/index.php?id=2102
    Some notable players participating in this tournament...
    Originally posted by IceIsNice View Post
    St. Cloud vs. Mercyhurst.....With 5 minutes remaining in the second period, the Laker line of Bram, Scanzano and Bendus left the ice and headed for the airport to catch up with the Canadian U-22 team.
    Also Minnesota's Noora Räty and Mira Jalosuo will be playing for Team Finland and will miss the Gophers' home series against Ohio State.

Action begins at 10 a.m. ET/9 a.m. CT tomorrow (January 5) with Canada vs. Switzerland.
    Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
    Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
    Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Re: 2010 MLP Nations Cup

Originally posted by CrazyDave View Post
    Also Minnesota's Noora Räty and Mira Jalosuo will be playing for Team Finland and will miss the Gophers' home series against Ohio State.
    Natalie Spooner of tOSU is on the Canadian roster so she will be absent from that WCHA series as well.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

FINAL from Group B game #1 - Canada 4, Switzerland 1. No box score available yet, but I'll post the link as soon as it's up.

Comment

FINAL from Group B game #1 - Canada 4, Switzerland 1. No box score available yet, but I'll post the link as soon as it's up.
        this link has the game stats

http://www.pointstreak.com/prostats/...gameid=1186320

Spooner, Deluce, Guay and Bettez scorers

Comment

Originally posted by still amazed View Post
          this link has the game stats

http://www.pointstreak.com/prostats/...gameid=1186320

Spooner, Deluce, Guay and Bettez scorers
          Thanks for the link. From the box score, shots were 35-12 for Canada, but the Canadians were 0-for-12 on the power play (in fact, the Swiss goal was short-handed).

still amazed -- thanks also for the note in the Canada U22 thread that the MLP is not (in general) a U22 tourney and that the European countries are playing their Olympic teams. Good to know.
          Last edited by CrazyDave; 01-05-2010, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Also, for anyone trying to translate the penalties from the box score... Here's what I came up with (with some help from Google):

Behinderung = Interference (that's an assumption -- it translates "disability")
            Beinstellen = Tripping
            Haken = Hooking (that one was kind of obvious)
            Ellbogen-Check = Elbowing (another obvious one)
            Spielverzögerung = Delay of Game
            Unnötige Härte = Roughing ("unnecessary hardship")
            Hoher Stock = High-Sticking
            Unsportliches Verhalten Disziplinarstrafe = Misconduct ("unsportsmanlike conduct disciplinary action")

Comment

Also, for anyone trying to translate the penalties from the box score... Here's what I came up with (with some help from Google):

Behinderung = Interference (that's an assumption -- it translates "disability")
              Beinstellen = Tripping
              Haken = Hooking (that one was kind of obvious)
              Ellbogen-Check = Elbowing (another obvious one)
              Spielverzögerung = Delay of Game
              Unnötige Härte = Roughing ("unnecessary hardship")
              Hoher Stock = High-Sticking
              Unsportliches Verhalten Disziplinarstrafe = Misconduct ("unsportsmanlike conduct disciplinary action")

Congratulations. You passed second grade German. (From someone who understands the language.).

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
                Congratulations. You passed second grade German. (From someone who understands the language.).
                Well, let's see... I haven't taken a German class in 17 years, and I haven't had reason to speak or remember the language in that time either.

The three penalties (hooking, elbowing, and high sticking) were easy, and the misconduct wasn't a problem given that it was the only 10-minute penalty (though it was interesting finding out the direct translation for that one). I also remembered that "spiel" translates to "game" or "play", so I probably could have gotten the delay of game call without looking; and I may have also been able to guess at the roughing calls since there were some matching minors. But I don't think I would have gotten interference or tripping without assistance.

Comment

Frida Nevalainen - (Stockschlag), 2 MIN, 7:50

3 to 1 for Sweden in the 3rd

this penalty didn't make your list

Raty's save percentage isn't going to be pretty, 3 goals on 13 shots
                  Last edited by still amazed; 01-05-2010, 03:07 PM.

Comment

its over now and it turned out to be 4 to 1
                    Sweden 4 goals on 14 shots
                    although the last one was an empty net, to Raty's credit

Comment

Again a typical swe - fin game. shots clearly for Finland, but mostly out of sector. Sweden blocks the scoring sector well. Very well actually. And then counts on counter attacks. Martin just has to concentrate on shots from bad angles. Scoring is the major problem for team Finland. Poor shooting skills. Too weak too slow.

Comment

Originally posted by still amazed View Post
                        Frida Nevalainen - (Stockschlag), 2 MIN, 7:50

3 to 1 for Sweden in the 3rd

this penalty didn't make your list

Raty's save percentage isn't going to be pretty, 3 goals on 13 shots
                        The literal translation is something along the line of "stick-hit" (without me looking), so that one is likely "slashing".

The reason I knew that one is that I play the "schlagzeug" -- percussion.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
                          I would have understood "verboten"!

Oh, and, is it really true that "Becks" is German for beer? Got that one down too!
                          Toe Blake On goalies: "You get four goals off them, or five, but the goal you've got to have to win, somehow the great ones don't let you get it.”

Comment

Originally posted by IceIsNice View Post
                            I would have understood "verboten"!

Oh, and, is it really true that "Becks" is German for beer? Got that one down too!
                            German word for Beer is "Bier" [pronouned like "birh", like the first half of Martin Biron's last name when you say it in Fluid French (draw out the I)].

Oh yeah and you put that stuff in something called a Stein.

And for Crazy Dave....."Spiel" can be both a verb or a noun in the German language.

Comment

After 2 periods in today's early game, it's Finland 3, Russia 2.

Comment

Working...
                              X