Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alaska @ UNO, Jan 8th & 9th - Happy Trails to You

Here we go again.
    *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2009-10-CCHA-Games/UNO-vs-UAF-Dece-12-2009/20091212-61/740056610_jyV8E-M.jpg******

Games 3 and 4 on tap. Last time we play UNO as a conference foe.

It’s been a long break for the Nooks. Haven’t had a game since December 12th against these very same Mavericks. We split our games in Fairbanks. Over that same period UNO has had four games and sits tied with NMU at 7th place in the CCHA with a 5-7-2-(1) record. The Nooks sit in 4th with a 6-5-3-(3) record.

We were fairly banged up before the break and hopefully have had a chance to mend. So we may be healthier but we may also be a little rusty and not in game shape. But since the second half is a much tougher schedule than the first, we can’t afford any mis-steps.

UNO is tied for 7th in scoring offense, tied with the Nooks for 8th in defense, 7th on the PP, 5th on the PK, and 5th in penalty minutes. The Nooks are 2nd in scoring offense, tied for 8th in defense, 2nd on the PP, 8th on the PK, and are by far the least penalized team in the CCHA.

Below is a quick look at where a team won points (read across), or where a team has dropped points (read down). UM and FSU have played 12 games, everybody else 14. With 2 games in hand FSU really has a wider spread on both UAF and UNO than it looks like. These games are important for both teams.

*****http://i130.***********.com/albums/p248/mmffbks/SCAN0007.jpg******

The second half is tough for both teams. We have yet to face Miami, MSU, UM, and OSU. And we have at second go at NMU and LSSU.

UNO has yet to face Miami, ND, UM, and OSU. They also have a second go at NMU and LSSU.

If ex-Fairbanks Ice Dog Andrew McCabe’s skates are still in his locker maybe he can suit up for us.

Until we meet again...

Go Nooks!

Re: Alaska @ UNO, Jan 8th & 9th - Happy Trails to You

Start of the long second half of the season. i hope the boys are well rested and healed, but hopefully not too rusty. UNO didn;t exactly look like world beaters against DU, however they will be ready for us.

Comment

Should be an interesting weekend; don't really know what to expect. Regardless, it's nice to have hockey back!
      “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Both games this weekend will be broadcast statewide on GCI. Figures that I have to go to Texas on Friday.
        “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

I'll take the win.
          All that was left, then, was for the Nanooks to celebrate with their fans. And for the Seawolves to get one last earful of the rowdies from Fairbanks.

"I've got a lot of expletives I'd like to use,'' Fournier said, slumped in his locker room stall. "It's very embarrassing when you're playing on your home ice and they have more fans and they're louder.

"We might as well have played the games in Fairbanks.''

Comment

The Nooks muster a 3-1 win. Can’t say that was a pretty performance, but it got the job done. Susan Boyle-esk. Especially considering that it was a road game, the first action in a month, and the team was scattered across the country(s) for most of that time.

Greenham was outstanding, and the whole team played hard. UNO had a number of good scoring chances, but also a lot of shots that Greenham had a good look at and handled fairly easily. But the Mavs could have put in four or five if the puck had bounced their way or Greenham was off his game. I guess that sucks for them. UAF had fewer SOGs but seems like a higher % were quality opportunities. Faulkner played a good game also. We just seemed to get the breaks last night.

UNO seemed to really finish checks and step up both their fore-check and back-check in the third. I’d like to see us a little more aggressive with our checks, but then again, we won’t win many games if we’re in the box. So it’s all about the right balance and Coach has got them playing fairly disciplined hockey.

The Mavs will be desperate for points tonight and should come out buzzing. The Nooks will need to weather the storm for first five minutes. I would expect both UNO and the Nooks to pick up their game.

Go Nooks!

Comment

Working...
            X