NCAA Hockey as part of the Winter Classic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA Hockey as part of the Winter Classic

I mentioned this in the BU thread, but I'm guessing there would be more interested parties.

I'm wondering if future Winter Classics sites will expand the event list (as Fenway Park did this year) to include events beyond the NHL New Years day game. NCAA hockey is a natural follow up.

I suggested New York City as being a city that would have to be on the list for a future Winter Classic site... with Cornell as a likely "host" for the NCAA part of the bill. My arbitrary prediction (obviously I'm biased) would be for the successful Red Hot Hockey event (Cornell / BU) would take place that year.

Any other thoughts / ideas / arbitrary predictions?

Re: NCAA Hockey as part of the Winter Classic

They ought to, especially given USA Hockey's selection of a very "collegiate" Olympic roster. The NCAA is playing a significant role in the NHL nowadays, and I can guarantee you nobody would have believed that 30-40 years ago.

Also, more college hockey being featured is a good thing. Besides, since college football is slowly doing away with New Year's games, a game New Year's Eve plus the Winter Classic the next day would be freakin sweet TV.
    Bulldog Hockey: 2011 National Champions! Finally!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
      Any other thoughts / ideas / arbitrary predictions?
      the Boston thing is a special case of the Red Sox trying to gain a better public perception by being good neighbors. To most other situations the NCAA would be seen as a remora and wouldn't be anywhere near special enough to generate the requisite interest.

If anybody is looking for this to boost college hockey then they're going to be disappointed. IMO, fusing the college game to the Winter Classic can only work in Michigan, Minnesota, and Boston... and Boston ONLY when involving BC and BU.

I could see other teams being brought in to "test" facilities... and even then its unlikely.

I think its an incredible reach to think it will be successful. 30K people is a lot of people. Also note that a lot of attraction is the novelty. We don't know what the Winter Classic will look like when the novelty wears off... never mind college hockey trying to ride its coattails.
      BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
      Skating Friar Jersey
      AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
      UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
      Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by UMDBulldogHockeyIsKing View Post
        They ought to, especially given USA Hockey's selection of a very "collegiate" Olympic roster. The NCAA is playing a significant role in the NHL nowadays, and I can guarantee you nobody would have believed that 30-40 years ago.

Also, more college hockey being featured is a good thing. Besides, since college football is slowly doing away with New Year's games, a game New Year's Eve plus the Winter Classic the next day would be freakin sweet TV.
        I think it's something that should be done for Hockey Day in Minnesota.
        St. Cloud, Minnesota: You could do worse...

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

The 2009 Poser of the Year

Comment

I do wish that the BU / BC game was closer to Jan 1... although I think that was mostly due to the relatively late planning for the game and BC had already committed to the Denver Cup.

Also, I wonder if the NHL would allow the NCAA game to come first? My guess is they would not want anyone stealing the thunder from the NHL game by happening ahead of it.

Comment

Whomever put together the Chicago vs. Detroit game last season initially wanted the game at Soldier field and wanted Wisconsin vs. Notre Dame on the bill as an early game.

I can't remember what nixed that idea
            Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dude Love View Post
              I think it's something that should be done for Hockey Day in Minnesota.
              You mean like we talked about at OC today?

Triple-header:

High school hockey in the late morning, MN-WI in the afternoon, and Wild-(insert opponent) at night.

All at TCF stadium.

Upkeep of the ice shouldn't be a problem, given the weather around this time of year.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                You mean like we talked about at OC today?

Triple-header:

High school hockey in the late morning, MN-WI in the afternoon, and Wild-(insert opponent) at night.

All at TCF stadium.

Upkeep of the ice shouldn't be a problem, given the weather around this time of year.
                No beer at TCF Bank stadium would be the problem though...

Comment

Originally posted by thebrain View Post
                  No beer at TCF Bank stadium would be the problem though...
                  Psst. Tailgate. And "creativity."
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

During an interview between periods of the US-Sweden game, Paul Kelly just said College Hockey Inc. has already talked to the NHL about a partnership in regards to the Winter Classic. I don't see any reason why this wouldn't happen.
                    Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

I think a double header of DU vs CC and Avalanche vs Red Wings would certainly sell out Mile High Stadium here in Denver.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                        I think a double header of DU vs CC and Avalanche vs Red Wings would certainly sell out Mile High Stadium here in Denver.
                        That'd be a really good one.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                          Psst. Tailgate. And "creativity."
                          Alcohol during several hours outdoors in Minnesota in late January would likely be necessary for survival I would think. Imagine how fun it would be to spend around 9 hours outdoors on a day where the temps don't even hit zero.
                          Last edited by UMDBulldogHockeyIsKing; 01-03-2010, 10:43 PM. Reason: EDIT: Yes, I know alcohol doesn't actually "warm" you. In fact it does the opposite.
                          Bulldog Hockey: 2011 National Champions! Finally!!!

Comment

Alcohol during several hours outdoors in Minnesota in late January would likely be necessary for survival I would think. Imagine how fun it would be to spend around 9 hours outdoors on a day where the temps don't even hit zero.
                            I bet they could work out some sort of one-day permit, at least for the NHL game.

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                              Whomever put together the Chicago vs. Detroit game last season initially wanted the game at Soldier field and wanted Wisconsin vs. Notre Dame on the bill as an early game.

I can't remember what nixed that idea
                              The problem with using NFL stadiums is that their main tenants will still have league games that next week, and potentially playoffs beyond that. That doesn't allow for the longer time to build the rink, particularly if you're doing it on a natural grass surface. You could make it work on turf (as they did in Buffalo), but I think the NHL likes the lack of other events to set up.

That's why when UW had their 2006 outdoor game in Lambeau it was so late in February - the Packers didn't want to give permission to use the field until well after NFL season was over and potential playoff games were well past.

So, I think that would nix Mile High, as far as NHL/NCAA coordination. Coors Field would work, however. If they could make the draw work, you could do it in Boulder, too at Folsom Field.

In Michigan, using the Big House would be a great location. No NFL conflicts, and they've certainly gotten enough ticket requests for the previous winter classic to fill it.

In Minnesota, either Target Field or TCF Bank Stadium would work. Given the choice, I'd take the football stadium - more symmetric sight lines, larger capacity, etc.

I hadn't thought about beer sales, but that's definitely an issue to consider.
                              "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

Working...
                              X