Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Frozen Fenway - BU / BC 1/8/10

Originally posted by Thiessen'sBetter View Post
    Yes, Northeastern University is a terrible academic institution because one of their students forgot that the bu/BC game is at night. You should probably be more condescending to a school which is harder to get in to than bu.

Also, I forgot the game was played at night, but by sun I meant warmth. If it is sunny and relatively warm in the early afternoon that could screw up the quality of the ice surface at night.
    Dude... temperature's supposed to be in the low teens. Don't think we're gonna have to worry about the ice melting.
    Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Yes, Northeastern University is a terrible academic institution because one of their students forgot that the bu/BC game is at night. You should probably be more condescending to a school which is harder to get in to than bu.
      Wow, that didn't take long for your bitterness and jealousy over Northeastern's men's team not being a part of this game to show up. If you keep saying that, it still won't be true.

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
        Dude... temperature's supposed to be in the low teens. Don't think we're gonna have to worry about the ice melting.
        I know It was hypothetical. It was a joke comment that didn't work, I am aware of this. I was basically just refuting the argument that because the game is at night, the sun/warm temperature will not have an effect on the ice surface. I'm actually hoping for snow.
        2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
        2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
          Wow, that didn't take long for your bitterness and jealousy over Northeastern's men's team not being a part of this game to show up. If you keep saying that, it still won't be true.
          I'm fine being warm next weekend watching my team in the best college hockey arena in the country.

And if you keep thinking its 1999, when bu was a much better school than NU, it still won't be true.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
            I also heard the nor'easter in the forecast. However, being only Sunday, that could change 12 times between now and Friday. Or at least the timing. I'm curious if there are any back up plans to play it on Saturday if Friday night is impossible.

Options for attire? I should probably go out and buy some stuff.
            bc hockey sweaters look to be pretty warm....
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

As fun as it is for me to throw the usual insults at the bu fans (and for them to yell right back at me) I'd like to comment on the actual game.

There was little natural light left at the end of the Winter Classic, however the lights did not really seem to bother Thomas or Leighton. Do the teams get to practice at night on the Fenway rink so the goaltenders can get a feel for the lights?

Also, I thought the quality of play in the Winter Classic was most certainly below NHL standards in regards to puck handling and passing because of how much the puck was jumping on the ice. The Flyers had numerous odd man rushes that may have been converted if the game was played inside, mainly the Giroux breakaway and the 2 on 1 where Carter missed the net. The Bruins got smart in the 3rd and in OT, taking point shots with traffic in-front.

I'm really interested to see how the conditions effect the goalies, especially if it is snowing.
              Last edited by Thiessen'sBetter; 01-03-2010, 09:32 PM.

Comment

I'm fine being warm next weekend watching my team in the best college hockey arena in the country.

And if you keep thinking its 1999, when bu was a much better school than NU, it still won't be true.
                I'm glad you have this message board to make you feel good in your sad little insecure world.
                It Happened!!!!

Comment

You're a Wisconsin fan now? Congratulations!

The Flyers had numerous odd man rushes that may have been converted if the game was played inside, mainly the Giroux breakaway and the 2 on 1 where Carter missed the net. The Bruins got smart in the 3rd and in OT, taking point shots with traffic in-front.
                  Although you are definitely right about the snow impacting the play (seriously, they need to zamboni before OT in these outdoor games and probably the 10-min mark of the 3rd), as a Flyers fan I can tell you Carter has missed from that spot the same way all season. He's infamous for it.
                  Boston University 2009 Champs
                  Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                    I'm glad you have this message board to make you feel good in your sad little insecure world.
                    always best to stick with the immortal words of reese bobby, "if you ain't first, you're last."

who gives a chit if you are 52 while i'm 85.
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

As fun as it is for me to throw the usual insults at the bu fans (and for them to yell right back at me) I'd like to comment on the actual game.

There was little natural light left at the end of the Winter Classic, however the lights did not really seem to bother Thomas or Leighton. Do the teams get to practice at night on the Fenway rink so the goaltenders can get a feel for the lights?

Also, I thought the quality of play in the Winter Classic was most certainly below NHL standards in regards to puck handling and passing because of how much the puck was jumping on the ice. The Flyers had numerous odd man rushes that may have been converted if the game was played inside, mainly the Giroux breakaway and the 2 on 1 where Carter missed the net. The Bruins got smart in the 3rd and in OT, taking point shots with traffic in-front.

I'm really interested to see how the conditions effect the goalies, especially if it is snowing.
                      Both teams practice there on Wednesday, BU from 3:45-4:45 and BC from 5:15-6:15. So, it should be dark for BC's, but BU's will probably have some natural light depending on how overcast it is.

I agree about the quality of play being sub-par for the Winter Classic, mostly due to the ice. You're gonna get bad bounces on outdoor ice no matter how ideal the conditions are. I think both coaches are gonna be emphasizing keeping things simple and making short passes all week. Cross-ice passes and 70-foot breakout passes probably aren't gonna be too effective.
                      Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

I completely agree with the coaches stressing short passes and simplistic play. I think that playing outside could be a disadvantage for BC because it somewhat neutralizes their incredible team speed, while bu can focus on putting traffic in front for the best point man in the conference, Kevin Shattenkirk.

BC fans: obviously this is a an exciting event to be a part of, but are you angry that this game is being played as a home game? I guess if this game is going to count in the HE standings, someone had to get a home game taken away.

Comment

are you angry that this game is being played as a home game?
                          Not angry, more annoyed. BC loses home ice advantage for a publicity stunt.
                          Boston College Eagle Hockey ยป "We want our players to leave here with a diploma in one hand and a ring in the other." - Jerry York

Try FantasyCollegeHockey.com

sigpic

"I said, it's all in our hands / got to learn to respect what we don't understand /we are fortunate ones, fortunate ones, I swear."

Comment

Also, I forgot the game was played at night, but by sun I meant warmth. If it is sunny and relatively warm in the early afternoon that could screw up the quality of the ice surface at night.
                            oh no! you neg repped me! what will I do now? when there's a NU-someone at Fenway thread, feel free to thump your chest about the awesomeness of your school then. I should add it's really cool that you keep BU in lowercase.
                            time to write new history

Comment

BU sucks.

No, but really. BU sucks.
                              Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                              Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                              Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Go BC!

Comment

Working...
                                X