Interesting Fact

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Fact

During the USA v Canada junior game, a comparison of US and Canada was displayed...population, #players, etc. The most amazing figure was number of outdoor rinks: US 250 and Canada 11,000.

Re: Interesting Fact

Very interesting fact..though I would be shocked if there is only 250 outdoor rinks in the US..actually maybe that isn't that surprising..

Comment

I believe one of those is in Key West, FL
      Originally posted by mtu_huskies
      "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
      Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
      Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

That is a load of crap. USA Hockey can't count or something. I'd guess Minnesota, without counting the Minneapolis/St. Paul Metro Area has 250 outdoor rinks.
        Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
        when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
        Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
          That is a load of crap. USA Hockey can't count or something. I'd guess Minnesota, without counting the Minneapolis/St. Paul Metro Area has 250 outdoor rinks.
          Agreed.
          While the US has nowhere near 11k outdoor rinks, they certainly have a lot more than 250. We were talking in the USA/Can game thread last night, and there are at least 25-35 outdoor rinks in Grand Forks/East Grand Forks alone.
          I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brianvf View Post
            Agreed.
            While the US has nowhere near 11k outdoor rinks, they certainly have a lot more than 250. We were talking in the USA/Can game thread last night, and there are at least 25-35 outdoor rinks in Grand Forks/East Grand Forks alone.
            Who knows, maybe they were talking about municipal funded and controlled out-door rinks.

Comment

Agreed.
              I wonder if they got the figures from USA Hockey and those outdoor rinks are STAR partners. They would not count a rec shinny sheet.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                I wonder if they got the figures from USA Hockey and those outdoor rinks are STAR partners. They would not count a rec shinny sheet.
                Who knows.

If they counted rec sheets as well, then there's probably closer to 80 outdoor rinks in GF/EGF.
                (25-35 outdoor parks, all with warming houses, and usually 2-3 sheets at each park, with one dedicated "hockey" rink with boards/nets/lights).
                I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

I would say that pretty much every town in Minnesota has at least 1 outdoor rink...a lot of them have 2-3, and the bigger towns have 5+ often times.

Comment

I am now angry I clicked on this thread.

It also helps when 99.9% of your country gets below freezing for the winter...
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                      You are correct. We have 12 in the area I live in alone. If I had to guess there is way more than 250 outdoor rinks in the twin cities metro.
                      I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

For what it's worth, there aren't many outdoor rinks at all in Massachusetts that I know of. There's obviously a lot of pond hockey and backyard rinks, but I've only heard of maybe 1 or 2 outdoor rinks that actually have any sort of organized hockey on them, which I assume is what this stat is referring to. From reading this thread and watching Mighty Ducks, I assume it's a different case in Minnesota, but being from Massachusetts, this stat didn't surprise me at all.
                        Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
                          For what it's worth, there aren't many outdoor rinks at all in Massachusetts that I know of. There's obviously a lot of pond hockey and backyard rinks, but I've only heard of maybe 1 or 2 outdoor rinks that actually have any sort of organized hockey on them, which I assume is what this stat is referring to. From reading this thread and watching Mighty Ducks, I assume it's a different case in Minnesota, but being from Massachusetts, this stat didn't surprise me at all.

1 or 2 in all of Massachusetts? There are 2 in St Joe county alone in Indiana, and that isn't the extent of the outdoor rinks in this state, and we aren't exactly a hotbed of ice hockey or ice skating. And I too would be shocked if Minnesota alone doesn't go way beyond that 250.

Comment

There are also no more outdoor arenas in Maine, now that Hebron has built their rink. I don't think there are any fully outdoor arenas in New Hampshire either. I remember playing "outside" at a prep school on Lake Winnipesaukee (Brewster?) but they had more of a wind tunnel since they had 2 walls and a roof. I don't know of any in MA or VT either...

Comment

Who knows.

If they counted rec sheets as well, then there's probably closer to 80 outdoor rinks in GF/EGF.
                              (25-35 outdoor parks, all with warming houses, and usually 2-3 sheets at each park, with one dedicated "hockey" rink with boards/nets/lights).
                              In the Crystal/New Hope area, there are at least a dozen (lights/boards/warming houses). Currently, I don't know how many warming houses are staffed (they've been waning over the last few years due to budget cuts for the cities), but AFAIK the lights etc still come on. And those two suburbs of Minneapolis are not even close to the biggest suburbs.
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Working...
                              X