Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Hockey 2010 - Delivery or Take Out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Michigan Hockey 2010 - Delivery or Take Out?

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
    Maybe I'm being to harsh, but his style of doing what he wanted really seemed to take a lot of gas out of the "team" part of the team. And seeing that he and TJ would not go back to Sauer when they scored just screamed of problems. Oh, well. I promise this will be my last post about Jack Johnson and Michigan. That was then, this is now.
    Well, we have agreed on that before. I think Paula Weston summed it up best in her commentary.

There is more to be said about the 20+ guys in the NHL from Michigan than the couple of kids that were "uncoachable" rogue talents who got sucked in by the scouts/agents/NHL. Plus, there was the whole Trevor Lewis thing, too.

Besides JJ and Hensick, I wonder how Aaron Palushaj feels about that now? Andy Hilbert? Jeff Jillson?

Edit: here's JJ's response to Lombardi:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/spor...ulous+Forum%29
    Last edited by streaker; 01-22-2010, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Interesting motivational thought- anyone wonder if this guy from the Kings may motivate the current team to do something?

Kind of hard to say work harder- since I know they are working hard (even though I give them a hard time), or even say to listen to the coaches more...

But you wonder.....

Hammer- which period are you planning to go outside? We head under the band between periods- so I can come out and say hi.

Comment

Originally posted by DominicHennig View Post
        Hammer, come on up to the press box and say hello
        I'm not so sure they'll let me.
        Hammer- which period are you planning to go outside? We head under the band between periods- so I can come out and say hi.
        I'll probably end up coming out both periods.
        FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post

Edit: here's JJ's response to Lombardi:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/spor...ulous+Forum%29

I ton't think that this one is going to end well...
          Originally posted by Wreckincrew: "I nominate Clifton for a position on the NCAA Frozen Four host selection plan"

Comment

It's getting ugly out there...

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...22_kingsgm.php

Dean Lombardi: Jack Johnson Is Learning His Craft…Belatedly
            January 20, 2010 — Gann Matsuda

LOMBARDI ON JOHNSON: In part 4 of a series, Los Angeles Kings President/General Manager Dean Lombardi talked about young defenseman Jack Johnson and the challenges he faces in his development. Look for part 5 later in the week.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LA Kings defenseman Jack Johnson begins a rush up ice.
            Photo: Harry How/Getty Images
            LOS ANGELES — This season, Los Angeles Kings defenseman Jack Johnson has wowed fans with end-to-end rushes, nifty shootout goals and better offensive play. But on defense, even though he has improved since his rookie season, he has blown coverages in the defensive zone and has gotten caught up ice on several occasions, giving up outnumbered attacks.

In other words, the 23-year-old native of Indianapolis, Indiana has been both breathtaking and aggravating to watch, all at the same time.

Now in his third full season in the National Hockey League, Johnson has shown the offensive skill and athletic ability that made him a first round pick (third overall) in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft by the Carolina Hurricanes. But his decisions in the defensive zone often leave people shaking their heads after he makes a bad read or blows a coverage.

During a recent interview, Kings President/General Manager Dean Lombardi explained that Johnson is learning his craft…belatedly.

“This guy has never had any coaching [at the University of Michigan],” Lombardi said. “Jack just did what he wanted.”

“Michigan is the worst.” Lombardi added. “For hockey people, if you’ve got a choice between a kid—all things being equal—one’s going to Michigan and one’s going to Boston University, you all want your player [going to Boston University]. Michigan’s players—[head coach] Red [Berenson] doesn’t coach. It’s ‘do what you want.’ He gets the best players in the country.”

During his two seasons at the University of Michigan, Johnson played as a rover, rather than as a defenseman, even though that was his official position.

“Jack was a thoroughbred out there,” Lombardi explained. “But he was all over the place. He was awful as a hockey player. As an athlete, you’re going, wow! Look at the way he skates, shoots, he can pass. But he had no idea where he was going.”

“At times, he was playing forward at Michigan,” Lombardi elaborated. “You had no idea what position he was playing. But he had always been the star and he always got his numbers. Then he turns pro and for the first time, we’re telling him ‘whoa, just make the first pass and learn to play in your own end.’ How about making a read in your own end about the right guy to pick up? He was awful.”

Indeed, the miscues and blown coverages, especially in the defensive zone, were glaring—Johnson was a defensive liability.

“It was a big risk for us to trade for him,” said Lombardi. “There was all that hype and stuff because he’s just like a thoroughbred. It’s like looking at a horse and saying wow! But then he gets on the track and he has no clue how to run the race. He might even run in the wrong direction. That was Jack. [He was] really raw.”

Like many young players loaded with talent and skill, Johnson could not believe it when criticism came his way.

“Here again, you’ve got a kid who’s got to change his game and he can change a game, going end-to-end, getting you out of your own end,” Lombardi noted. “It was like, ‘you’re not good enough at that not to do these other things that you’ve never done.’ Now try and convince him of that after [he has] been told how great [he is throughout his] life, [he has] played in the US Development Program, [he was] at Michigan, everything [was] great, great, great. Now [he is] in the pros and it’s ‘what do you mean? I’m Jack Johnson.’”

“He struggled with it,” Lombardi added. “‘What do you mean, you’re criticizing me?’ Yeah, [I am]. When these kids come up now, this might seem totally abnormal to you, because anyone else growing up probably got slapped around [figuratively speaking] as you were learning your career or anything you’re learning. But these kids are all told how great they are.”

“He didn’t start believing that [he] might have to start doing this until the middle of last season. [Kings head coach Terry Murray, also known as Murph] is a great teacher. Thank God for Murph. He was really a smart player, nowhere near as talented. [He told Jack to] slow down and take it a step at a time. Slowly, he’s gotten better. He’s certainly had his ups and downs. But that’s why he made the Olympic team, because this guy is hard to play against.”

Indeed, Johnson has improved enough that other NHL general managers on USA Hockey’s selection committee named Johnson to Team USA for the 2010 Olympic Winter Games in Vancouver, British Columbia in February.

“What’s good about it was that [Johnson] was eleventh on the depth chart at the beginning of the year,” said Lombardi. “By November, he had risen to the top eight, and in Jack’s case, he went from ten to eight, to seven.”

“Two weeks ago, at the [NHL] Board of Governors meeting, [we met] and I couldn’t promote my own guy, so the other guys would come in—it was out of my hands,” added Lombardi. “[Johnson] was in the top six on everybody’s ballot. I was really proud of him.”

That is certainly indicative of how far Johnson has come in a relatively short time.

“Jack Johnson, three years ago, was all highlight film stuff,” said Lombardi. “But the trouble is, the highlight film stuff was only once every three games. In between, it was all fire drills. [He just had to] simplify [his game]. No highlights. The highlights will come back once you start to simplify.”

“For him to transition from highlight film to doing all this other stuff, you’re not getting that high-end stuff right now while he’s learning,” added Lombardi. “But you’re hoping the [solid defensive play] becomes second nature. He still has to think about it. But when that becomes second nature, now recognize when you can put on your show.”

This season, Johnson continues to make the wrong read and blow defensive coverages. But he is improving slowly—he still has a long way to go before anyone can say he is a solid NHL defenseman.

“It’s still a work in progress,” Lombardi admitted. “I’ve had a lot of young defensemen. They’re always hard to break in anyway. He’s been unique because, like I said, he was a thoroughbred who just ran.”

“I think his learning curve is going to continue to go up,” added Lombardi. “It hasn’t spiked. I think every area of his game has improved, but it has to continue.”
            Go Blue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
              I'll probably end up coming out both periods.
              As I said in the rep thread, I'll try to come out during 1st intermission.
              Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
              wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
              7 B1G
              7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
              6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
              5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
              5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
              2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
              2 Alaskan

Comment

I am shocked by Lombardi's comments. Red is a former NHL Coach of the Year who saved the Michigan program, has won NCAA titles, and turned out dozens of NHLers over the years, not to mention graduating fine players and people over the years. He is a coaching legend who is treasure to our game, and the notion that players get "never had any coaching" and that "Michigan is the worst" strike me as not only innacurate, but downright venemous.

NHL people should never be talking about college or junior coaches that way, not matter what they might feel.

It's just damaging to everyone involved.

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                  As I said in the rep thread, I'll try to come out during 1st intermission.
                  Bonus! See you all tonight!

Comment

Interesting motivational thought- anyone wonder if this guy from the Kings may motivate the current team to do something?

Kind of hard to say work harder- since I know they are working hard (even though I give them a hard time), or even say to listen to the coaches more...

But you wonder.....

I have absolutely no doubt that it will fire them up. As some people have mentioned before there was real venom in those comments, not just directed at Red but at the entire program. I'm sure the players have seen it and I'm sure they're ****ed off. Hopefully they use it as positive motivation, because a team playing ****ed off can go the other way too. Red's usually pretty good at getting the guys to channel disrespect into a big performance so I'm not worried.

Comment

• Re: Michigan Hockey 2010 - Delivery or Take Out?

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                      I am shocked by Lombardi's comments. Red is a former NHL Coach of the Year who saved the Michigan program, has won NCAA titles, and turned out dozens of NHLers over the years, not to mention graduating fine players and people over the years. He is a coaching legend who is treasure to our game, and the notion that players get "never had any coaching" and that "Michigan is the worst" strike me as not only innacurate, but downright venemous.

NHL people should never be talking about college or junior coaches that way, not matter what they might feel.

It's just damaging to everyone involved.
                      I am glad for your take on what Berenson has meant to Michigan hockey and to college hockey in general, but apparently not everyone feels that way.

What I think is more of an indictment are the posts I am finding in several other Michigan blog sites from people (some alums) close to either other NCAA hockey programs or related to NHL "authorities" who whisper that Michigan's program has now been relegated to just picking the low hanging fruit (i.e. the best talent) and not developing them to the extent that they need to be for the NHL.

So, for a mouthpiece like Lombardi to actually come out and say it- whether it has any merit or not- is more concerning because of the effort to not only discredit Red's/Michigan's success, but to dissuade recruits from coming to Michigan, if they take the US college route. (i.e. the little dig about sending recruits to Jack Parker etc.) It may be coincidental to his run ins with Berenson over LA King draft choices, but it sure sounds like he is parroting comments made in the NHL elite circles. If that is the case, then there is a real effort to damage the reputation of a man who has given back much more than he has taken from hockey.

It doesn't even sound like the NCAA/CHL tinkling match going on, but I'm sure it's related, too. Especially when it comes to "who knows better" on how to develop kids for the NHL.

Comment

Originally posted by wooderson View Post
                        I have absolutely no doubt that it will fire them up. As some people have mentioned before there was real venom in those comments, not just directed at Red but at the entire program. I'm sure the players have seen it and I'm sure they're ****ed off. Hopefully they use it as positive motivation, because a team playing ****ed off can go the other way too. Red's usually pretty good at getting the guys to channel disrespect into a big performance so I'm not worried.
                        Here's how you deal with it: During warm-ups tonight, the team spends their time working on 5 foot passes. Red stands over them. With a whip. Anyone misses...
                        Originally posted by Wreckincrew: "I nominate Clifton for a position on the NCAA Frozen Four host selection plan"

Comment

BTW, if you didn't know, tonight's game start is 8:05, and NOT the normal 7:35- got a note from the ticket office + checked mgoblue.com

Comment

I can't find the game online.

Help! Anyone have a link?

Comment

http://161.57.5.17/ramgen/broadcast/test.rm you need realplayer

Comment

Originally posted by DominicHennig View Post
                                Thanks Dom but I'm looking for video feed. As always I can get the Audio for Hockey.

Comment

Working...
                                X