Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Hockey 2010 - Delivery or Take Out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Hockey 2010 - Delivery or Take Out?

Originally posted by nmu_27 View Post
    So more or less, fans can complain about however points are earned, but for the most part it doesn't make a difference.

There have been a ton of ties this year, though.
    Yeah it does. In the old world, we'd be in a position to take a bye with a win or a tie saturday, providing we have the tiebreaker w/Alaska. Right now we have to rely on another team as well as take care of our own business.

The gimmick points thing bit us, but not as much as we bit ourselves, losing games at home to Miami, BG, MSU and NMU.

Comment

it wil be hard to win without hogan but im yhinking postive

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
      Out of boredom and curiousity today I played with the league points for the CCHA and looked at what they would be without a shootout, as well as what they would be if we still had the absurd scoring from last year.

Feel free to ignore this post, I just thought others may also be curious.

Here is what I found:

Michigan is currently in 6th place with last night's win. Michigan can not finish any lower than 8th. In bizzaro world where neither Sparty nor Ferris take points from Bowling Green and Western, respectively, Michigan could tie for 2nd. Finishing 4th is a possibility with a win and NMU not taking more than 4 points from Lake State.
      Miami 66
      MSU 46
      FSU 46
      Alaska 45
      UNO 44
      Michigan 43
      NMU 42
      tOSU 38
      LSSU 35
      Notre Dame 33
      BGSU 21
      WMU 18

If the CCHA were still giving out 2 points for a win and 2 points for a shootout win/1 point for a shootout loss (as they did last year), Michigan would be hosting a playoff next week. No way around it. We'd be in 7th place with 29 points currently. Best the blue could finish is tied for 5th with UNO and NMU if NMU gets no points on the weekend. Lowest possible finish would be tied for 8th with LSSU.

Crazy scoring from last year:
      Miami 46
      Alaska 34
      MSU 33
      FSU 33
      UNO 31
      NMU 31
      Michigan 29
      tOSU 28
      LSSU 25
      Notre Dame 25
      BGSU 17
      WMU 14

In a "normal league" as I like to call the conferences which do not have shootouts, Michigan would currently be tied for 5th with 29 points. The lowest possible finish would be tied for 7th with tOSU, and the highest possible finish would be tied for 2nd (If MSU lost both games, and Ferris took no more than 1 point). The normal league standings would look as follows (with Omaha and Alaska finished conference play, Michigan and Notre Dame could at most earn 2 points, all other teams could earn up to 4 points):

Miami 44
      MSU 31
      Ferris 30
      Alaska 30
      Michigan 29
      UNO 29
      Northern 28
      tOSU 25
      LSSU 23
      Notre Dame 23
      Bowling Green 13
      Western 13
      96/98 ncaa champsmeechigan wolves stanley cup chanpions the detroit red wings nd the detroit ****tons

Comment

Originally posted by mattmi View Post
        it wil be hard to win without hogan but im yhinking postive
        yeah, last night sure was a nailbiter...

Comment

Going into tonight:

1. Miami 66
          2. MSU 46
          3. FSU 46
          4. Alaska 45
          5. UNO 44
          6. Michigan 43
          7. NMU 42
          8. tOSU 38
          9. LSSU 35
          10. Notre Dame 33
          11. BGSU 21
          12. WMU 18

MSU (3 pts) and Ferris (2 pts) lock up byes. Northern won in OT, so they're up to a tie with Alaska with 45 pts. Miami is way up on OSU. Western got 1 pt and BGSU got nothing.

Now:

1. Miami 69
          2. MSU 49
          3. FSU 48
          4. NMU 45
          5. Alaska 45
          6. UNO 44
          7. Michigan 43
          8. tOSU 38
          9. LSSU 35
          10. Notre Dame 33
          11. BGSU 21
          12. WMU 19

For us to get the bye: Get at least two more points than Northern tomorrow. 3 pts to 0 pts would give us sole possession of 4th. 3 pts to 1 pt would make it a two way tie with Northern, in which we have the tiebreaker (regulation CCHA wins). 2 pts to 0 pts would give a 3 way tie with Northern and Alaska, and again, we'd have the tiebreaker.

Even if we don't get the bye, 2 or 3 pts tomorrow would put us in 5th, giving a first round series probably with Western (slight chance of BG) with a second round trip to Northern (or maybe Ferris if Northern gets 3 and they get 0 tomorrow). Not the easiest path, if we get 5th, but it could be worse. If we don't get 5th, then it could get much tougher.

NOTE: We can't finish lower than 7th, so at least we won't have go to Miami in the second round. A trip to MSU is possible though.
          Last edited by redwings8831; 02-26-2010, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
            Yeah it does. In the old world, we'd be in a position to take a bye with a win or a tie saturday, providing we have the tiebreaker w/Alaska. Right now we have to rely on another team as well as take care of our own business.

The gimmick points thing bit us, but not as much as we bit ourselves, losing games at home to Miami, BG, MSU and NMU.
            Either way you wouldn't control your destiny. Northern jumps you with the win into 4th, tied with Alaska.

Of course they aren't exactly the same, but the general standings are kept.
            Embrace the hate.

Comment

Either way you wouldn't control your destiny. Northern jumps you with the win into 4th, tied with Alaska.

Of course they aren't exactly the same, but the general standings are kept.
              How do you figure that (and I'm gonna split hairs with you.) We still have to win outright or at least win a shootout tonight and you still have to tie, lose a shootout or lose straight up. It don't matter if we don't take care of business, so no, it's not entirely up to another team completely controlling our destiny, and as of today it doesn't matter how the standings are kept. We lose, we're done. You win in regulation, we're done. Simple as that. LSSU shot their wad last night, 1:05 from shaving at least 1 point. You guys executed better and we crapped the bed this season, so I don't expect anything different tonight, especially with a back up goaltender playing on the road. We had our chance last weekend, and NMU deserves 4th if they win tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                How do you figure that (and I'm gonna split hairs with you.) We still have to win outright or at least win a shootout tonight and you still have to tie, lose a shootout or lose straight up. It don't matter if we don't take care of business, so no, it's not entirely up to another team completely controlling our destiny, and as of today it doesn't matter how the standings are kept. We lose, we're done. You win in regulation, we're done. Simple as that. LSSU shot their wad last night, 1:05 from shaving at least 1 point. You guys executed better and we crapped the bed this season, so I don't expect anything different tonight, especially with a back up goaltender playing on the road. We had our chance last weekend, and NMU deserves 4th if they win tonight.
                I was just saying that with yesterday's win NMU would have had 30 points, and would have jumped over Michigan. Michigan would have to win tonight and NMU would have to lose for Michigan to jump back into 4th, which is what needs to happen anyway (if you forget about the shootout). To me that is essentially the same. If it isn't to you, I no longer care.
                Embrace the hate.

Comment

I was just saying that with yesterday's win NMU would have had 30 points, and would have jumped over Michigan. Michigan would have to win tonight and NMU would have to lose for Michigan to jump back into 4th, which is what needs to happen anyway (if you forget about the shootout). To me that is essentially the same. If it isn't to you, I no longer care.
                  Tomato, tah-mah-toe. But saying that destiny is completely out of our hands is technically wrong.

Go spread your "knowledge" elsewhere.

Comment

What is Michigan's goalie status?
                    GO CATS GO

JUST BEAT MICHIGAN BABY!

Ask me no questions and I will tell you no lies!

Comment

Originally posted by WildcatGoal View Post
                      We have three of them.

Comment

Originally posted by KC8NIY View Post
                        We have three of them.
                        We have a pulled groin, a half pint gamer and a bench warmer that probably will never see a Division I game unless the first two are out.

Comment

Originally posted by WildcatGoal View Post
                          Not as good as last year, or the year before. Obsession.

Comment

With the loss, we're 7th. If Lake State doesn't get 3 pts against Northern (they are currently losing), we will play them next weekend at Yost. If they come back and win, and OSU gets no points against Miami tonight, we would get OSU.

Comment

7th place, and Lake State it is.

It's quite odd to sit here after the last regular season game, wondering if we have 1, 2, or 3 weeks left before thoughts turn to October.

Comment

Originally posted by KC8NIY View Post
                                7th place, and Lake State it is.

It's quite odd to sit here after the last regular season game, wondering if we have 1, 2, or 3 weeks left before thoughts turn to October.
                                Yeah. I think we'll get passed Lake State but a potential second round series at Munn would be quite interesting.

Comment

Working...
                                X