Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Hockey 2010 - Delivery or Take Out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Hockey 2010 - Delivery or Take Out?

wow.

just wow.

For once, I'm not at all bummed that I have something else to do tomorrow instead of seeing a game.

And it was pretty amazing that the crowd very much reflected the energy on the ice for UM. It sounded like Munn for most of the game.

At times, they had some decent chances. But I never really felt we were that much of a threat to win. Once again, some very, very bad penalties taken on our part.

There's always next season, right KC?

Not sure if I'll bother going to senior night. Geez- with the olympics and survivor on TV- some real entertainment there.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
      wow.
      Yep

just wow.
      Ditto

For once, I'm not at all bummed that I have something else to do tomorrow instead of seeing a game.
      The last time that probably happened, was, well.... has it happened?

And it was pretty amazing that the crowd very much reflected the energy on the ice for UM. It sounded like Munn for most of the game.
      You know, I was somewhat surprised how empty Yost was until faceoff. Then it filled up, and by that point I was surprised that it filled up. Winning builds the atmosphere and attendance we've come to enjoy. Losing breeds apathy and disinterest. Senior night may very well be comparable, attendance wise, to Tuesday BG. Although it could lack the atmosphere that even that game had.

At times, they had some decent chances. But I never really felt we were that much of a threat to win. Once again, some very, very bad penalties taken on our part.
      Absolutely. They just weren't able to do much, and they might as well just sit a guy and skate 4 on 4 for the power plays they're given. Brutal as of late.

There's always next season, right KC?
      I'm starting to have concerns about that as well. Depends on what this year's problem really is.

Not sure if I'll bother going to senior night. Geez- with the olympics and survivor on TV- some real entertainment there.
      Earlier today I begged off a work commitment because I realized it coincided with senior night. I still hold that I'd rather be at Yost than at work or home, but man, give me something to be excited about. Right now, even I'm starting to become apathetic about what remains of the season.

Win tomorrow, or we're seriously in danger of turning in those playoff tickets. Well, I suppose we could microwave them, or give them to the neighbors kids to use as a sled for their action figures, or sell them on ebay to unsuspecting fools, etc....As it stands, the first round bye is essentially gone. I don't plan on winning our last three, and I don't think NMU does worse than a split against Lake State.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
        I disagree. Tell me the last time Michigan won a road series during the playoffs- not too often back in the early Red days. They have swept one team b2b on their ice, and that was LSSU early in the season. (Split w/OSU, swept at UNO, everything else has been H&H).Tell me the last time they lost a Yost playoff series. I'll take my chances at home- and if they screw that up, which they could considering how they can't put two or three quality games together this season, then it would be a fitting end to the season. As it is, the prospect of having Miami prison sex them at JLA isn't all that appealing, either, especially in front of a partisan anti-Michigan crowd. If anything, it would sure temper any of the pre-season hype for next year.
        Well, lots of things are different this year as opposed to the last 20 years.

Comment

Here's an interesting stat for the night:

Dave Wohlberg is now tied with Bobby Hayes, Jeff Jillson, Geoff Koch, Scott Matzka, and Andy Hilbert for number of stand-alone misconducts taken in one season (3). He leads that group on a pace of 1 per 11 games.

Comment

Hey, you'll be playing Notre Dame. We've managed 3 straight losses to last place teams. Seeing a Michigan win AND IHF's head exploding all in the same night HAS to be more entertaining than either the Olympics or Survivor!

Comment

Mid-weekend standings update: In order to finish in 4th place...

A) If we win out, we'd still need Lake State to steal at least 2 points from Northern next weekend.

B) If we only drop one more point to
              I. Notre Dame, then we need Lake State to steal at least 3 points from Northern.
              II. Northern, then we'd need Lake State to steal at least 4 points from Northern.

C) Theoretically it's possible for us to move past Michigan State to get into 4th (or even 3rd ), but that would involve them taking 3 or less points in their last three games, two of which are against Bowling Green.

D) If we do drop a point, and Alaska beats Lake State again tomorrow (which seems likely), then we would only move ahead of Alaska in the above situations via the tiebreaker. So while it is possible to finish in 4th after dropping 2 remaining points, we would need either Lake State to catch fire or a classic "Sparty, no!" meltdown for that to happen.

In conclusion, Go Lakers!

*****http://www.lssulakers.com/images/setup/thumbnail_default.jpg******

(I fully expect we will lose tomorrow and all this analysis will be for naught)

Comment

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
                Hey, you'll be playing Notre Dame. We've managed 3 straight losses to last place teams. Seeing a Michigan win AND IHF's head exploding all in the same night HAS to be more entertaining than either the Olympics or Survivor!
                The thought of a boring 0-0 tie that ends with both teams tripping over themselves during the shootout doens't really appeal to me all that much...

Both of our heads will be bleeding.

Although, I think I've so resigned this season that the vein popping out of my forehead has ressesed back to normal. Not a great thought, but that's the deal.

KC- we'll still host some tournament round- or do we have a chance of finishing lower than 8th?

kd- IF (and that's such a huge IF, it's not even viewable on a large screen TV as a monitor) this team showed any minescule amount of improvement over the season, then I might have some optimism for the tournament. And while there have been a few games where it *appeared* that they figured out what was going on- it just hasn't happened. If they finished the season like they played the CHS, we'd be challenging for 2nd or 3rd, and IF they had started the season like that, and continued- then 1st. As it stands, we are either equal or just slightly worse than game 1.

For me, that's my #1 issue. If they were loosing due to lack of scoring, but with improvement and energy over the season, I could deal with that- maybe one or two players don't improve. But it's the entire team- still making poor passing decisions, very untimely turn overs, and very, very bad penalties. Plus Hogan.... Both goals should have not been- especially the first. Sucked the life out of the entire team.

I'm sure I'll be at the last game- NBC's coverage is pretty poor at best, and I can always watch survivor on demand. But if they loose, I won't stick around for the celebration. Forgive me for having some expectations, but if the team isn't going to really try, why should I? They may have had an ok freshman year, a great sophomore year, a great Junior year, but perhaps, just perhaps, they are not the reason for the great years, based on this season.

Oh, well.

Comment

KC- we'll still host some tournament round- or do we have a chance of finishing lower than 8th?
                  We could still finish as low as 10th. It all depends on the resolve of this team, and just how much Notre Dame has given up on the season. While I hope that traveling for the first round is not likely, it's still possible.

Comment

THE GLASS HALF FULL VIEWPOINT

Right now we are in 7th:

4 pts behind 6th place UNO
                    5 pts behind 5th place UA
                    5 pts behind 4th place NMU
                    6 pts behind 3rd place MSU

A win tonight and (realistically) a UNO loss combined with an expected UA and MSU win will put us:

1 pt behind 6th place UNO (with 2 games in hand)
                    2 pts behind 5th place NMU
                    5 pts behind 4th place UA (with 2 games in hand)
                    6 pts behind 2nd/3rd place MSU/FSU (of course a FSU sweep will bring MSU to 3pts behind in 4th spot and move UA into 3rd, 5 pts behind)

THE GLASS HALF EMPTY SCENARIO (presuming a NMU sweep)

Everyone above us wins (well except the MSU/FSU loser.I predict a split.)
                    Miami/UNO anything could happen I guess.

That would put UNO 7 pts ahead (6th), NMU 8 points ahead (4th), UA 8 points ahead (5th), MSU 9 pts ahead (2nd), FSU 9 pts. ahead (3rd).

Forget about a first round bye. And the 1st round home playoff series is in jeopardy because:

OSU wins again and assumes 7th, 2 points ahead of Michigan.
                    LSSU loses, but is only 2 points behind Michigan.
                    ND wins, and moves to 2 points behind Michigan.

That means the H&H series with Notre Dame will determine a first round home series, combined with the NMU/LSSU series to do the same for LSSU. (OSU ends the season with Miami.)

Michigan could get bumped to 9th or 10th with a regular season ending sweep by ND and or the same by LSSU combined with a sweep or split by Notre Dame.

From what I could see last night, there was no energy in the building and the kids were just going through the motions. I doubt that tonight will be any different, especially when there is zero confidence in the goaltending and zero offensive production.

Comment

Originally posted by kdilks View Post
                      Mid-weekend standings update: In order to finish in 4th place...

A) If we win out, we'd still need Lake State to steal at least 2 points from Northern next weekend.

B) If we only drop one more point to
                      I. Notre Dame, then we need Lake State to steal at least 3 points from Northern.
                      II. Northern, then we'd need Lake State to steal at least 4 points from Northern.

C) Theoretically it's possible for us to move past Michigan State to get into 4th (or even 3rd ), but that would involve them taking 3 or less points in their last three games, two of which are against Bowling Green.

D) If we do drop a point, and Alaska beats Lake State again tomorrow (which seems likely), then we would only move ahead of Alaska in the above situations via the tiebreaker. So while it is possible to finish in 4th after dropping 2 remaining points, we would need either Lake State to catch fire or a classic "Sparty, no!" meltdown for that to happen.

In conclusion, Go Lakers!

*****http://www.lssulakers.com/images/setup/thumbnail_default.jpg******

(I fully expect we will lose tomorrow and all this analysis will be for naught)
                      At least someone is cheering for us. Although after watching last nights LSSU-Alaska game, I would not get your hopes up to get much help from LSSU.

Comment

Originally posted by Laker Dude View Post
                        At least someone is cheering for us. Although after watching last nights LSSU-Alaska game, I would not get your hopes up to get much help from LSSU.
                        My rooting interests for or against the Lakers will not be solidified until around 10:00 tonight. Hey, that's in plenty of time for the faceoff in Alaska though.

Comment

Originally posted by KC8NIY View Post
                          My rooting interests for or against the Lakers will not be solidified until around 10:00 tonight. Hey, that's in plenty of time for the faceoff in Alaska though.
                          Well, our guys took care of business, not without some luck. We didn't get any help from Miami. BG did their best, as did WMU. MSU/FSU was predictable.

So, go Lakers. Now, if our guys take care of business on Thursday, there is still hope for a bye, depending on what LSSU/NMU do next weekend, too. Either way Michigan needs a sweep, something they have only done thrice (LSSU, BG, WMU) in conference this season.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                            Well, our guys took care of business, not without some luck. We didn't get any help from Miami. BG did their best, as did WMU. MSU/FSU was predictable.

So, go Lakers. Now, if our guys take care of business on Thursday, there is still hope for a bye, depending on what LSSU/NMU do next weekend, too. Either way Michigan needs a sweep, something they have only done thrice (LSSU, BG, WMU) in conference this season.
                            Yep. Nice to see they didn't just lay down and call it done when they got behind. There's still some fight left. Some of it was luck, and the post was certainly friendly in the last minute, but there wasn't any giving up. They stepped up as individuals and as a team when they could have thrown in the towel. I'm happy with that.

Pateryn picked a hell of a time to score the first of his career. Good for him.

I was also happy to see AC in the lineup tonight. Unless Scooter suffered an injury that I'm not aware of, I don't think it would've been him that I sat out. But whatever, it worked.

I could spew the rhetoric about building on this for next week, but we're all beyond that. Just go out and take care of business. We're past the point of controlling our own destiny, but we have to at least put ourselves in favorable position. 6 points will do that.

Comment

So, with this weekend complete, we can still finish 4th and get the bye. And the easiest scenario isn't that complicated. Sweep ND and Northern gets four or less points from Lake State. Or if we get five points, then Northern has to get three or less.

Comment

Well, Alaska beat Lake State. Not a huge issue, it just means that no matter what happens in the Northern/Lake State series, we can't afford to drop more than one point next weekend. The silver lining is that now, the only way we could drop to 9th place and have to go on the road the first weekend is if we get swept, Lake State sweeps Northern, and Ohio State takes 3 points from Miami.

Comment

Working...
                                X