Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Hockey 2010 - Delivery or Take Out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Hockey 2010 - Delivery or Take Out?

Originally posted by wolverine318 View Post

Like streaker said, come back to us when you have more than a participation banner hanging in your barn. Even BGSU has a sixth place banner hanging in their barn.
    Actually BGSU has one even better.. a NC banner.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
      enough of the cows already. the more we talk about it, the more i'm reminded on how poor our season is this year.

To the point I think that we will not be going to the game on Saturday night.

And I'm not all that keen on a Thursday night, senior night. May go to the game, but may not stick around for the celebration.

This is the most underachiving team I've ever seen. In past years, we've been able to deal with losses of major players. Last year should have been an indicator of this year- we did most of the season without out top D man, and managed to have a great season, getting a #1 seed and all. With the same leadership we had on the blue line this seaons, well... we find out that Hogan is no Billy Sauer. The one person I'm most bummed about is Summers- he looked to be the best guy with a C in a LONG time. But out of the gate, he really struggled with his own play- some horrific turn overs that lead to goals, poor passes, bad decisions- and I don't think he was doing anything but focus on D- no head hunting, no puck hogging to get points, no bad pinches, etc.

And it was almost as if his lack of focus on his own play just spilled out over the whole team.

I'm not trying to say it's his fault- I'm sure he is doing his best. But you can see there's no real leadership on this team.

The O? Geez- why can we score at will one night, and the next- nothing? Or some games, it takes 3 periods to get anything going? And by then, it's too late to overcome a 4 goal deficit. I would have expected Louis to have a break out season, where he just is a threat ever time he got on the ice. Why that didn't happen? No idea.

Are there issues between the coaches and the team this year? I sure would like to think that they really want to win, but to hear that they were basically going through the motions this past weekend, when they had a chance to improve in the standings to earn a week off to make a run for the Joe- I got that same feeling when they dropped a game against one win BGSU earlier in the season. Why does it appear to the fans that they don't have a sense of urgency? Why do we read their play as not really caring?

What's going on?

Of all years for this to happen, it was the year we could have massive home ice support at the Frozen Four in Detroit. Now, the idea of even making the tournament is more out than in.....

sorry about the rant, but I just don't get it.

But at least I know it's not the 2009 thread that started it all... since KC's new thread didn't help....
      That pretty much sums it up. Defeat is an orphan.... compared to the spoils of victory. Just the same I'll be there to the bitter end and this program will be back.

Comment

Originally posted by wolverine318 View Post
        now why did I just go to mavpunk.com? Those knuckle-dragging troglodytes were making fun of Kampfer's spinal injury from last season. Yet, they keep calling our fans classless in threads. When in glass houses...

If they think we are classless I guess they have never traveled to East Lansing or Columbus.
        That is precisely why you see few of them on this site... so they can sit in the comfort of their barns or silos and type to their hearts content, cowards behind a computer keyboard and groupthink about how classless we are, or how the CCHA is bought, or create delusions about their program. Those you do see here (save one particular poster) are upboard about stuff and don't represent the circle jerk mentality.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
          Actually BGSU has one even better.. a NC banner.
          Scott Hamilton's figure skating championship doesn't count

Comment

enough of the cows already. the more we talk about it, the more i'm reminded on how poor our season is this year.

To the point I think that we will not be going to the game on Saturday night.

And I'm not all that keen on a Thursday night, senior night. May go to the game, but may not stick around for the celebration.

This is the most underachiving team I've ever seen. In past years, we've been able to deal with losses of major players. Last year should have been an indicator of this year- we did most of the season without out top D man, and managed to have a great season, getting a #1 seed and all. With the same leadership we had on the blue line this seaons, well... we find out that Hogan is no Billy Sauer. The one person I'm most bummed about is Summers- he looked to be the best guy with a C in a LONG time. But out of the gate, he really struggled with his own play- some horrific turn overs that lead to goals, poor passes, bad decisions- and I don't think he was doing anything but focus on D- no head hunting, no puck hogging to get points, no bad pinches, etc.

And it was almost as if his lack of focus on his own play just spilled out over the whole team.

I'm not trying to say it's his fault- I'm sure he is doing his best. But you can see there's no real leadership on this team.

The O? Geez- why can we score at will one night, and the next- nothing? Or some games, it takes 3 periods to get anything going? And by then, it's too late to overcome a 4 goal deficit. I would have expected Louis to have a break out season, where he just is a threat ever time he got on the ice. Why that didn't happen? No idea.

Are there issues between the coaches and the team this year? I sure would like to think that they really want to win, but to hear that they were basically going through the motions this past weekend, when they had a chance to improve in the standings to earn a week off to make a run for the Joe- I got that same feeling when they dropped a game against one win BGSU earlier in the season. Why does it appear to the fans that they don't have a sense of urgency? Why do we read their play as not really caring?

What's going on?

Of all years for this to happen, it was the year we could have massive home ice support at the Frozen Four in Detroit. Now, the idea of even making the tournament is more out than in.....

sorry about the rant, but I just don't get it.

But at least I know it's not the 2009 thread that started it all... since KC's new thread didn't help....
            Very well said. I have been saying for years that Red does less with the best talent than any other coach in the nation. I really thought last year's team was going to get it done. Also, I think Louie woke up a little too late this season. Maybe Czarnik was on to something, too. The funny thing is this: MSU and UM have the exact same GF/GA right now (100-77) and the same win total, with UM playing one more game. UM just don't seem to give a 60 minute effort on the road.
            Anybody but Northern

Comment

Originally posted by scullyer View Post
              Very well said. I have been saying for years that Red does less with the best talent than any other coach in the nation.
              Fire Berenson?
              maize is just an arrogant shade of yellow

Comment

Originally posted by scullyer View Post
                I have been saying for years that Red does less with the best talent than any other coach in the nation.
                Don Lucia says hi.

Comment

Originally posted by Gomer View Post
                  Fire Berenson?
                  Not necessarily. He brings the guys in. He also helped get the USA program into A2. I'm a State fan so I'll leave that to the UM fans. I've just been watching this program for 20+ years (closely) and it seems that the talent seems to be top 2 every year. Sure they win the CCHA, but turn into the Atlanta Braves in the NCAAs. I really thought they would come out flying @ UNO and sweep. If they play to their potential, I think they can still win the CCHA tourney. This team has Frozen Four talent, so why can't they win on the road? They need better leadership on and off the ice. Just my two cents. I actually like to see UM do well because it brings the best out of MSU.
                  Anybody but Northern

Comment

Originally posted by kdilks View Post
                    Don Lucia says hi.
                    Yeah, I watch a lot of Minn too. I really think they need a change there. Almost like there's a sense of entitlement to win at the two UMs when you put the uni on.
                    Anybody but Northern

Comment

So that I can continue to distract myself from this "season" of "team" playing...

Assuming Miami's run at being a top team in the CCHA lasts for more than 5 more years, I'm sure your status of being a rival will be cemented- but not on the same level as MSU. It will be like Lake State of the early-mid 90's, where we knew they were very, very good, and would beat us in key games even when UM was playing to their potential. Outside of a handful of oddities, that kind of rivalry has a lot more respect than hate.

OSU, to be prefectly honest, is just a rival in hockey due to Football- it's not been a very even rivalry- their seasons of being good have been few and far between, so the level of competetiveness is not all that strong.

I personally think that the on ice rivalry with Minnesota and Wisconsin is stronger, even if we only play them once a year (and I'm thankful for that- without the CHS, we probably wouldn't play them).

But MSU will always be #1 on the ice. Even when they have a bad season, the games are well above the level of the season, at least on their part. So no matter what happens, the rivalry will be there.

Would not mind to see Miami be a strong rival... Or ND, too. But seasons like this even show how fickle that can be.
                      I think with the recent investment in both the Miami and ND programs, and each teams ability to reload with talent should be pretty telling in regards to ability to stay towards the top of the CCHA. With the exception of "bad luck" years (re: Michigan/ND 09-10, MSU 08-09, Miami 04-05), whether they be injury plagued or some other unforeseen circumstances, we should see those 4 vying for the top conference seed each season for some time to come. It took us about 20 years of CCHA play to become a mainstay towards the top of the standings, so here's to hoping we can continue taking some top spots.

Comment

That is precisely why you see few of them on this site... so they can sit in the comfort of their barns or silos and type to their hearts content, cowards behind a computer keyboard and groupthink about how classless we are, or how the CCHA is bought, or create delusions about their program. Those you do see here (save one particular poster) are upboard about stuff and don't represent the circle jerk mentality.

I was at the Friday game and was generally impressed with how UNO played. That said this Michigan team isn't in the class of recent years. The standings tend to reflect this. If someone watching this weekend didn't know any better they would have thought that UNO had 10+ NHL draft picks on the team.

I am sure that UM will make some noise in the playoffs, when it truly matters. Hopefully UNO can build on this sweep and get some points out of the Miami series.
                        This SHARPIE is for you!

Comment

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
                          I should have known not to after only 3 good seasons.. .
                          No way. With Jeff Jackson behind the bench, you have every right to be excited and with high expectations. Besides, season ain't over yet - and that's the same for Michigan too.
                          http://blogofbrotherhood.com

Comment

Originally posted by UNOMav View Post
                            I was at the Friday game and was generally impressed with how UNO played. That said this Michigan team isn't in the class of recent years. The standings tend to reflect this. If someone watching this weekend didn't know any better they would have thought that UNO had 10+ NHL draft picks on the team.

I am sure that UM will make some noise in the playoffs, when it truly matters. Hopefully UNO can build on this sweep and get some points out of the Miami series.
                            There is no doubt that UNO is playing its best hockey right now, and beat Michigan this past weekend as much as Michigan made it easy for them to do that. The home record is basically what is keeping them in the top part of the standings.

Michigan has individual talent, but is missing a bunch of components- exhibiting the same mental blunders as the first part of the season. That tells me that something is amiss in the locker room, especially now with uncharacteristic (and understandably frustrating) quotes from Berenson regarding the officiating and the effort of certain members of this team, particularly between the pipes. We appreciate the moral support, but the truth is, this team hasn't shown the consistency to win a string of games all season- and that is what it is going to take to finish in the top four, avoid a first round series, win a second round series, and then by some miracle beat Miami and (name your CCHA team) in order to qualify for the NCAA playoffs.

Comment

There is no doubt that UNO is playing its best hockey right now, and beat Michigan this past weekend as much as Michigan made it easy for them to do that. The home record is basically what is keeping them in the top part of the standings.

Michigan has individual talent, but is missing a bunch of components- exhibiting the same mental blunders as the first part of the season. That tells me that something is amiss in the locker room, especially now with uncharacteristic (and understandably frustrating) quotes from Berenson regarding the officiating and the effort of certain members of this team, particularly between the pipes. We appreciate the moral support, but the truth is, this team hasn't shown the consistency to win a string of games all season- and that is what it is going to take to finish in the top four, avoid a first round series, win a second round series, and then by some miracle beat Miami and (name your CCHA team) in order to qualify for the NCAA playoffs.
                              I don't think finishing in the top 4 necessarily has to be part of the miracle process. Finishing in 5th or 6th and building momentum against Western/Bowling Green at home before going on the road to Ferris State(maybe even Michigan State?) seems better than finishing 4th and having a week off before drawing a team that's been hot down the stretch like Northern or UNO.

Comment

Originally posted by kdilks View Post
                                I don't think finishing in the top 4 necessarily has to be part of the miracle process. Finishing in 5th or 6th and building momentum against Western/Bowling Green at home before going on the road to Ferris State(maybe even Michigan State?) seems better than finishing 4th and having a week off before drawing a team that's been hot down the stretch like Northern or UNO.
                                I disagree. Tell me the last time Michigan won a road series during the playoffs- not too often back in the early Red days. They have swept one team b2b on their ice, and that was LSSU early in the season. (Split w/OSU, swept at UNO, everything else has been H&H).Tell me the last time they lost a Yost playoff series. I'll take my chances at home- and if they screw that up, which they could considering how they can't put two or three quality games together this season, then it would be a fitting end to the season. As it is, the prospect of having Miami prison sex them at JLA isn't all that appealing, either, especially in front of a partisan anti-Michigan crowd. If anything, it would sure temper any of the pre-season hype for next year.

Comment

Working...
                                X