Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Hockey 2010 - Delivery or Take Out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Hockey 2010 - Delivery or Take Out?

I'd say that Michigan got screwed, but this is how this team has lost all season: a soft goal given up, no offense, blowing late leads or taking bad penalties that lead to goals. They played well enough to win even with that tonight, but the x-factor took over and Wisconsin capitalized.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
      I'd say that Michigan got screwed, but this is how this team has lost all season: a soft goal given up, no offense, blowing late leads or taking bad penalties that lead to goals. They played well enough to win even with that tonight, but the x-factor took over and Wisconsin capitalized.
      You could have been talking about Wisconsin's season last year with this post.
      If at first you don't succeed, try cheating.

Comment

Am I the only one who was at both this game and the Cold War and thought the Cold War was about a million times better? I barely felt like I was at a hockey game tonight. Weird atmosphere, terrible sightlines, atrociously passive and obnoxious fans...

And, really, as badly as we might have gotten screwed by the officiating, our penalty kill in the 3rd was embarrassing. Terrible. Inexcusable. From my vantage point, looked like the exact same goal twice.

Comment

Originally posted by UMBand View Post
          Am I the only one who was at both this game and the Cold War and thought the Cold War was about a million times better? I barely felt like I was at a hockey game tonight. Weird atmosphere, terrible sightlines, atrociously passive and obnoxious fans...

And, really, as badly as we might have gotten screwed by the officiating, our penalty kill in the 3rd was embarrassing. Terrible. Inexcusable. From my vantage point, looked like the exact same goal twice.
          Granted they shouldn't have let the same guy beat them twice, but they were fantastic shots by the Wisconsin guy. Just cold-blooded sniping, off a difficult ice surface to boot. Both one-timers too I think? If our guys could shoot half as well as that guy we would have about 10 more wins this year I think....

On the bright side I thought Hogan was quite good tonight outside the first goal. In the second period he really made some good saves sliding across the goal. When he was in a crease without a huge hole in it. Where he should've been in the last 10 minutes. Aarghh now I've gone and made myself mad again. Time to just stop talking about this game....

Comment

Watching on tv, it WAS the exact same play. Same spots from the passers and shooters, to a T.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

No. I agree completely. And I was sitting in the band at the Cold War...which meant, I had really crappy seats (as in could see the players from the waist up and that was about it). I think being able to have fans of both teams (and both bands) at the Cold War made a big difference. Out of the 55,000 or whatever in attendance, I think less than 500 were Michigan fans (and that's a very generous estimate).
              Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
              wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
              7 B1G
              7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
              6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
              5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
              5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
              2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
              2 Alaskan

Comment

Who's braving the snow tonight?

Comment

Big win tonight, makes the weekend somewhat of a success. Great to see Louie with a multi-goal game.

Gonna be a really tough trip down to Nebraska, especially after a 3-game weekend. At least a split is mandatory right now it seems like. Is even 5-1 from here on out (assuming a first-round win) going to be enough or do they need to run the table??

Comment

Originally posted by wooderson View Post
                    Big win tonight, makes the weekend somewhat of a success. Great to see Louie with a multi-goal game.

Gonna be a really tough trip down to Nebraska, especially after a 3-game weekend. At least a split is mandatory right now it seems like. Is even 5-1 from here on out (assuming a first-round win) going to be enough or do they need to run the table??
                    I know they were dragging tonight, but what a struggle. If Eno doesn't get cut by his defenseman's skate then they may have been in for a different game. They sleptwalked through the first thirty minutes and were sloppy- but again, some slack for playing three times in six days. BG never really threatened until we helped them with turnovers.

UNO is laying in wait, seems that they have pent up furor for Michigan and would love to derail any effort to make the NCAA tourney. Taking a game is about where I put it, but an effort like tonight may end any post season thoughts. Fourth place is still a possibility for the conference tourney, and I see 4-2 being able to lock that, especially with the schedules that teams like LSSU, Alaska, UNO, ND, OSU and NMU have to contend with. Time to take destiny into our own hands since we play three of those teams vying for fourth.

Comment

I know they were dragging tonight, but what a struggle. If Eno doesn't get cut by his defenseman's skate then they may have been in for a different game. They sleptwalked through the first thirty minutes and were sloppy- but again, some slack for playing three times in six days. BG never really threatened until we helped them with turnovers.

UNO is laying in wait, seems that they have pent up furor for Michigan and would love to derail any effort to make the NCAA tourney. Taking a game is about where I put it, but an effort like tonight may end any post season thoughts. Fourth place is still a possibility for the conference tourney, and I see 4-2 being able to lock that, especially with the schedules that teams like LSSU, Alaska, UNO, ND, OSU and NMU have to contend with. Time to take destiny into our own hands since we play three of those teams vying for fourth.
                      It seems to me 3rd isn't out of reach...Ferris is only 3 points up and doesn't have the easiest schedule coming in either. Getting up into the top 3 would be huge to avoid a semi-final match-up with the Miami juggernaut, especially since that might be a must-win game for our tournament hopes. Don't want to put the reverse jinx on them either though, we'll see how things stand after this weekend.

Comment

It seems wrong for me to be excited that we are in 4th place in the conference, but I am.

Good to see Michigan get the BGSU sweep for the "weekend". Games were closer than most Michigan fans would like, but getting the much needed conference points and victories over teams you "should" beat is good.

I don't know much about Omaha this season, and it will be interesting to see if the weird schedule with the trip to Madison hurts the team with the trip to Omaha.

Somewhat empty Yost last night, understandable with the weather and a Tuesday night game. I still liked the atmosphere better than Camp Randall though. And being able to see the game was nice.
                        Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                        wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                        7 B1G
                        7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                        6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                        5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                        5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                        2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                        2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                          I don't know much about Omaha this season, and it will be interesting to see if the weird schedule with the trip to Madison hurts the team with the trip to Omaha.
                          I am worried about UNO for various reasons:

1. This is the most vulnerable Michigan team since 2005(?)... and going to Omaha is not an easy trip- and they will sell out. We'll need some breaks.

2. The UNO fans are making a big deal about it because they have never sw**t Michigan; This is their last chance in conference, on home ice, and their last home series. They despise Michigan and will be amped.

3. They have a very offensive minded team that can skate, but has been victim of shoddy defensive lapses and poor goaltending.

4. They still believe they are in contention for 4th place. They sweep us and it is curtains for our NCAA chances via the at large. It also means they open up a 4 point lead on Michigan, even with our 2 games in hand. That is what they need to do to really have any shot at fourth place. (Besides, if that happens, there would be no living with their fan base.) Even with a Michigan sweep, I think their chances are slim that they can keep 4th because the other teams we are battling have a some what easier schedule.

Woody- Michigan will have to win out, or go 5-1 I think to take 3rd place. I realistically have them 4-2 in their last six, 4th place, 3 points behind both FSU and MSU.

Comment

Michigan has a nice history against UNO, Summers and the senior class are 8-0, while M is 17-2-1 in the last 20 games vs. UNO. But we all know this years edition of the team has made things more difficult than they need to be on the season.

UNO has a team with depth, no real high scoring players, but three lines that can contribute. And yeah, most of their upperclassmen have played three additional years of junior hockey.

Let's see if we can finally get a weekend with contributions from the top two lines, no soft goals, and avoiding too many dumb penalties. Not sure what UNO's goalie Faulkner is like.

Comment

Originally posted by alnike View Post
                              Michigan has a nice history against UNO, Summers and the senior class are 8-0, while M is 17-2-1 in the last 20 games vs. UNO. But we all know this years edition of the team has made things more difficult than they need to be on the season.

UNO has a team with depth, no real high scoring players, but three lines that can contribute. And yeah, most of their upperclassmen have played three additional years of junior hockey.

Let's see if we can finally get a weekend with contributions from the top two lines, no soft goals, and avoiding too many dumb penalties. Not sure what UNO's goalie Faulkner is like.
                              The scuddle is, both UNO goaltenders are under the gun for their erratic play. Hot one night, a sieve the next. Coach Blais is not real happy with either.

The guy to stop is their senior d-man, Del Grosso. He, if I am mistaken, is their leading points man and just overtook Greg Zanon as their alltime points man for defensemen. He is also key to their PP, and is an offensive minded player that jumps into the rush frequently. Jeric Agosta has emerged now as a power forward, and this freshman named Broadhurst has been on fire- and is close to Chris Brown in points. I agree, though, it's their depth that has improved, although they are essentially playing like a .500 team.

UNO and their fans are down to the axe handle as far as their spite for Michigan- some of it having to do with the fact that they have only beaten Michigan 4 times in 10 years, (twice in Omaha, once at Yost, once at JLA) some of it due to their perceived disrespect from the "weasel"/MSU owned CCHA, some of it from the "antics" of Michi-"goon" players like JJ etc., some of it due to plucking favorite son Jed Ortmeyer from their grasp and most of it due to our Kmartine fan's behavior at JLA and our obnoxious,vulgar Yost fan chants/comments towards their fans/players, which includes tossing corncobs onto the ice after one of the frequent routs. . (Basically to remind UNO fans that no, this isn't a rivalry when you can't beat Michigan consistently, no matter what your fans predict/say on your websites.)
                              I guess we'll have to pass that baton onto North Dakota or whomever in the WCHA.

I'll be satisfied with a split, joyous with anything more- their atmosphere for Michigan is raucous, especially if we give them any gifts to build on. I also think that they have trouble controlling their emotions and take a ton of dumb penalties, too, particularly in this series. For Michigan, it's just another series- more crucial than usual this year- but for UNO it could make their whole season.

Comment

I am worried about UNO for various reasons:
                                Although I think the atmosphere at Yost when rocking (minus snowy Tuesday nights) is second to none, UNO can be a tough venue to go into when full. UNO practically sold out the house for both games last weekend. UM has had an inconsistent season. I know there isn't a comparison going beyond just this season but tOSU has had the same problems and lost leads both nights coming away with only 1 point.

Comment

Working...
                                X