Women's Hockey Attedance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Women's Hockey Attedance

From looking at the attendance figures from collegehockeystats.net it seems that attendance in a lot of rinks is really low. Why is that I wonder? I would have thought that it would be a bit higher especially in Minnesota.

Re: Women's Hockey Attedance

I don't know about Minnesota but I have some theories in general more based on New England.

+ Scheduling: Some games are scheduled over breaks (even thanksgiving break: the annual Nutmeg Classic tournament here in CT had very few fans in attendance, and even fewer students.)

+ Awareness: I can speak first hand that sometimes as students it's hard to keep sports teams in the conciousness. I'm sure at schools with higher hockey traditions it's easier to get the attention of the student body, but at schools that are broader it may be more difficult. The marketing methods utilized to draw in people from outside the universities vary as well. Some are very good at bringing the fans in, some not so much. I think this expands even into the Men's side of things as well in terms of Hockey.

+ The typical unbalance between men's and women's sports: Even Women's Basketball has trouble drawing at most schools (except places like UConn and a few others) whatever it is, in the sports conciousness, there's still an inherent leaning towards the men's side. I'm betting that BC vs. BU Men's draws much better than BC vs. BU Women's.

+ Checking. It's probably hurting the sport a bit that some hockey fans may show up and learn there isn't the checking allowed on the men's side. With an age old saying "went to a fight and a hockey game broke out" the elimination of even checking might turn some fans away. (Not pro or con on that, just theorizing.)

But these theories are likely nothing new. I wish there was a magic bullet to solve attendance problems at college sports, and not just women's hockey. I don't know where the fanbase starts growing. It seems almost magical over whether programs get good attendance or not. Especially in Women's Hockey where the likelihood of seeing a downright meaningful game on any given night is much higher than that for basketball or some of the more lopsided football contests.

Comment

Originally posted by dfpsports View Post
      + The typical unbalance between men's and women's sports: Even Women's Basketball has trouble drawing at most schools (except places like UConn and a few others) whatever it is, in the sports conciousness, there's still an inherent leaning towards the men's side. I'm betting that BC vs. BU Men's draws much better than BC vs. BU Women's.
      I'd fully concur with this point at Minnesota. Even though the Gophers have some of the best attendance numbers in the Upper Midwest, that's without having anything resembling a student section (excluding the band, when they're there). The only time I've seen even a moderate student section at the Gopher women's games is when they let the students in for free -- usually once or twice a season -- and even then the number of students is still well under 100.

As for the awareness portion, ARM and I have already docemented that the coverage of the Gopher women's team in the Twin Cities area has decreased in recent years. Fox Sports North stopped showing any games, there's only minimal coverage in the daily papers, and the TV news media rarely show highlights (exception: when WCCO-TV's Mark Rosen, who grew up in the Twin Cities, features the team on his Sunday late-night sports show).

Still, Minnesota is in better shape than St. Cloud State or Minnesota State. The home fans at those games are almost outnumbered by the visiting Gopher fans when Minnesota plays at either location.
      Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
      Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
      Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyDave View Post

Still, Minnesota is in better shape than St. Cloud State or Minnesota State. The home fans at those games are almost outnumbered by the visiting Gopher fans when Minnesota plays at either location.
        Not just the Gophs--it seems Wisco, UMD and others have a better crowd than the SCSU group. On the plus side, there are now a few college students that are becoming regulars at the women's games.

We try to get more fans--mostly some male friends--and when they show up, they are amazed at the speed and intensity of women's hockey. They also like the ability to help the PA announcer, the penalty box guys and the referees, because with the small crowd, everybody can hear you!

It is hard to expect much of a crowd when the game is at 2pm on a Friday afternoon.

Yes, perception of a "lesser" product (mostly from males), poor or non-existent coverage, poor marketing, etc. all play into it. And the WCHA is very slowly getting towards more parity, but personally, I don't see that yet.

Comment

Re: Women's Hockey Attendance

It was good when Minnesota visited Harvard and the pep band turned out in force. This is comparison to the one man pep bands that have arrived at other games with other teams. The crowd was pretty good, though for a huge game it could have been better.

I'm actually quite pleased with UConn's turnout despite missing some of the other elements that can be found elsewhere. And UConn to their credit does open their concession stands every time.

For quality hockey, some games that are free, and basically a choice of one's seat it's surprising more people aren't swinging by to check the games out in general. There does seem to be a need for more direct marketing.

Comment

OK, so I had a lot of time yesterday so I thought I would run some numbers. Here are the attendances for each D. 1 team minus the independants. I did not, nor will I, compare these to last years attendances. Feel free to double check my numbers to your favorite team as I am sure there may be a mistake in my calculations but I am fairly sure they are accurate.

CHA
            Team Total Attendance Avg. Highest Attended Game
            Wayne St. 970 (4 games) 242 374 vs. BU
            Syracuse 2138 (8) 267 393 vs. Princeton
            RMU 1947 (6) 324 726 vs. RPI
            Niagara 2420 (8) 302 718 vs. RMU
            Mercyhurst 3410 (7) 487 713 vs. UMD

ECAC
            Yale 1220 (6) 203 235 vs. Harvard
            Union 1127 (9) 125 217 vs. SH
            St. Lawrence 3544 (10) 354 503 vs. Mercyhurst
            RPI 2165 (11) 196 400 vs. Mercyhurst
            Quinnipiac 1474 (7) 210 317 vs. Sacred Heart
            Princeton 1224 (6) 204 345 vs. BC
            Harvard 4550 (9) 505 748 vs. Clarkson
            Dartmouth 4201 (5) 840 913 vs. St. Lawrence
            Cornell 3303 (10) 330 621 vs. St. Lawrence
            Colgate 1471 (9) 163 219 vs. Clarkson
            Clarkson 4023 (11) 365 707 vs. St. Lawrence
            Brown 1091 (7) 155 245 vs. Harvard

Hockey East
            Vermont 3114 (10) 311 396 vs. Dartmouth
            Providence 2089 (12) 174 328 vs. Wisconsin
            Northeastern 1431 (10) 143 219 vs. Maine
            New Hampshire 5576 (11) 506 615 vs. Boston U.
            Maine 3203 (11) 291 650 vs. Boston U.
            UConnn 2220 (6) 370 673 vs. Providence
            Boston U. 1888 (8) 236 361 vs. Providence
            Boston C. 2806 (14) 200 359 vs. Northeastern

WCHA
            Wisconsin 23973 (12) 1997 2803 vs. Ohio St.
            St. Cloud 3161 (12) 263 341 vs. Wisconsin
            Ohio St. 2989 (8) 373 572 vs. Minnesota
            North Dakota 4261 (9) 473 875 vs. Bemidji
            Minn. St. 2312 (7) 330 513 vs. Bemidji
            MN Duluth 5130 (10) 513 897 vs. Minn. St
            Minnesota 9659 (9) 1073 1202 vs. Bemidji
            Bemidji St. 1072 (9) 119 203 vs. St. Cloud
            "If you're satisfied with being good, you'll never be great"

"heck, you go to some D-III hockey games and a Steven Segal Chinese stick fight breaks out,....." by Camman15

2009-2010 Regular Season Atlantic Hockey Pick-em Champion

Comment

I have long-suspected that the attendance numbers includes the teams on the ice (especially at Hockey East games). Does anyone know if they are counted?

Comment

Originally posted by scrambledlegs View Post
                I have long-suspected that the attendance numbers includes the teams on the ice (especially at Hockey East games). Does anyone know if they are counted?
                So the Wisconsin game vs. Ohio State really only had 2761 fans. Cool!

But seriously..... one of these things is not like the others... even Minny is really only a smidgeon ahead of the rest of the pack.

How do the Badgers do it? Do they open a beer concession? Free cheese?

What's the deal?
                Toe Blake On goalies: "You get four goals off them, or five, but the goal you've got to have to win, somehow the great ones don't let you get it.”

Comment

Originally posted by scrambledlegs View Post
                  I would say that is a pretty fair statement.
                  "If you're satisfied with being good, you'll never be great"

"heck, you go to some D-III hockey games and a Steven Segal Chinese stick fight breaks out,....." by Camman15

2009-2010 Regular Season Atlantic Hockey Pick-em Champion

Comment

Originally posted by IceIsNice View Post
                    The Kohl Center has suites. My understanding is that suites are purchased for a unit of time, not for an event. Tickets to the events are included in the suite purchase. So, for example, if a suite purchase includes 20 tickets for a women's hockey game, those 20 are counted in the gate. It does not mean that those 20 people have ever been to a women's hockey game. I have watched a game in Madison where the published attendance was > 1200 and there were no more than 200 or 300 people there.

The Badgers have drawn some huge crowds for women's hockey. They have also had a number of games that were poorly attended compared to the official attendance.
                    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Women's Hockey Attedance

MICZamboni - nice job. Dartmouth leads in the Ivy's and ECAC. Maybe Hanover's some remote loquation ("Squeakquel"); not so many other activities drawing fans away as, say, Boston, etc. As well, these women play good hockey-are competitive. Nice rink and I hear snack bar... Maybe, also, D. men haven't been as successful as the women's hockey programs over the years. For that matter, other winter sports at the college not doing as consistently well I believe as the women's ice hockey program save (certainly) basketball and skiing that I think of, although skiing being an outdoor event it is hard to compare the two. But some of us remember treking out to the ski jump at Carnival- that was, however, more of a social event than sporting (for the fans I was with...)

Comment

Originally posted by IceIsNice View Post
                        So the Wisconsin game vs. Ohio State really only had 2761 fans. Cool!

But seriously..... one of these things is not like the others... even Minny is really only a smidgeon ahead of the rest of the pack.

What's the deal?
                        Madison only has 2 good hockey teams to go see, while the Twin Cites has dozens, including the NHL, and the best high school hockey in the country.
                        XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                        Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Happy when you talk about high school hockey do you mean the boys or both? If more people attend the boys games than the girls it seems like girl's hockey is still facing the same uphill battle that they always have doesn't it?

6800 at the Xcel Energy Centre to see the Canada-USA game is not great attendance in a state that prides themselves on being a hockey mad state either. I would have figured that they would have had more at that game given the fact that these are two Olympic teams especially when you compare the attendance at the games between those two teams when they play each other at events in Canada. I would say that the game in Ottawa tomorrow night will have more than 6800 there for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by AtlanticCanuckFan View Post
                            Happy when you talk about high school hockey do you mean the boys or both? If more people attend the boys games than the girls it seems like girl's hockey is still facing the same uphill battle that they always have doesn't it?

6800 at the Xcel Energy Centre to see the Canada-USA game is not great attendance in a state that prides themselves on being a hockey mad state either. I would have figured that they would have had more at that game given the fact that these are two Olympic teams especially when you compare the attendance at the games between those two teams when they play each other at events in Canada. I would say that the game in Ottawa tomorrow night will have more than 6800 there for sure.
                            Don't forget that Wednesday night is also high school game night. So right off the bat your potential audience is diminished. Also you have the seen it, done it effect of having the US team based in Blaine and folks having watched a number of games locally, and probably more affordably, than at the Excel.

Comment

Re: Women's Hockey Attendance -16000 for New Years day?

Scotiabank Place to Set Attendance Record for a Canadian Women's National Team Game
                              Ticket sales approach 16,000 mark for Canada-USA New Year's Day matchupOTTAWA, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - Dec. 31, 2009) - In conjunction with Hockey Canada, Senators Sports & Entertainment announced today that the pre-Olympic contest between Canada's national women's team and Team USA scheduled for Scotiabank Place on Jan. 1 will set an attendance high for women's hockey in Canada.

The current record of 15,163 was established at Calgary's Pengrowth (then Canadian Airlines) Saddledome on Jan. 26, 1998, in Team USA's 3-1 win over Canada. As of Thursday, 15,178 tickets had already been sold for the contest. Scotiabank Place capacity is 19,153, with the potential to expand to 20,500.

"Hockey Country has once again demonstrated its passion for international competition with an unparalleled level of support for Canada's national teams," said Senators Sports & Entertainment president Cyril Leeder. "With the aid of fans throughout the National Capital Region, the establishment of a new attendance record tomorrow evening is certainly a great send-off for Canada's women's team as they prepare for the Vancouver Games."

Presented by Hockey Canada's premier sponsors - Nike, Esso, RBC Financial Group and TELUS - this matchup is the last in a six-game series between the world's top women's teams in preparation for the 2010 Olympic Winter Games in Vancouver. The game will be televised by Hockey Canada's official broadcasters, TSN and RDS.

Canada has emerged victorious in the first five contests between the teams: a 3-1 win in Victoria on Oct. 5, a 5-2 win in Spokane, Wash. on Oct. 16, a 4-2 win in Denver on Dec. 12, a 6-2 win on Dec. 15 in Calgary and a 2-1 victory in St. Paul, Minn., on Dec. 30. Meghan Agosta (Ruthven, Ont.) and Jayna Hefford (Kingston, Ont.) lead Canada's national team in scoring with eight points each through the first five games.

Comment

Working...
                              X