2010 Panther Cardinal Classic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 Panther Cardinal Classic

Does it get any better before the NC$$ DIII finals???
    Who's going?
    Where are you staying, eating, partying...???
    Any predictions or comments on the games/match ups?

Re: 2010 Panther Cardinal Classic

Originally posted by obserbear View Post
    Who's going?
    Further support for the "Snack Bar's Closed -- DIII Edition" thread???

(And this family's still doing club hockey, so no chance to head north for the festivities!)
    Last edited by dontyelldad; 12-17-2009, 01:52 PM. Reason: to answer the question ...

Comment

My reading of the schedule says this is a tournament, where the two winners of day one play, and the two losers play.

This sets up a possible second day matchup of Elmira/Plattsburgh and Middlebury/Amherst. Two intraconference matchups that don't count in the conference standings.

wouldn't we all be better served if the second day was simply Amherst/Elmira and Middlebury/Plattsburgh? Wouldn't that be more compelling than watching these teams play their own conference opponent? Does anyone care who "wins" the trophy?

Comment

Originally posted by spike View Post
        My reading of the schedule says this is a tournament, where the two winners of day one play, and the two losers play.

This sets up a possible second day matchup of Elmira/Plattsburgh and Middlebury/Amherst. Two intraconference matchups that don't count in the conference standings.

wouldn't we all be better served if the second day was simply Amherst/Elmira and Middlebury/Plattsburgh? Wouldn't that be more compelling than watching these teams play their own conference opponent? Does anyone care who "wins" the trophy?
        While "winning" this tournament will certainly be a nice resume booster with two wins against quality teams like the winner will play, i think the most important thing each of the four teams will find out is where they match-up against the teams they will be competiting with for the Pool C slots and the National title.

I'd put Plattsburgh or Amherst as the early favorite but I guarantee you each of the four coaches would probably say a different team if asked who they think is going to win the tournament.

Keep in mind this tournament could produce four ties too and we will still have a team that finishes "first" and fourth"...

should be a great four games for anyone who gets to go to the tournament. Middlebury is a top notch facility and a great host for an event like this. I'm excited to be able to watch/listen to the games. My only gripe is the games are on Sunday/Monday...whats the deal with that?!
        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
        GO LAKERS!!!
        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
        Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
          While "winning" this tournament will certainly be a nice resume booster with two wins against quality teams like the winner will play, i think the most important thing each of the four teams will find out is where they match-up against the teams they will be competiting with for the Pool C slots and the National title.

I'd put Plattsburgh or Amherst as the early favorite but I guarantee you each of the four coaches would probably say a different team if asked who they think is going to win the tournament.

Keep in mind this tournament could produce four ties too and we will still have a team that finishes "first" and fourth"...

should be a great four games for anyone who gets to go to the tournament. Middlebury is a top notch facility and a great host for an event like this. I'm excited to be able to watch/listen to the games. My only gripe is the games are on Sunday/Monday...whats the deal with that?!
          I actually know the answer to that one. the Middlebury Men's team also hosts a New Years Weekend tournament, and when the women's event was moved from November to January, there was a conflict with Friday and Saturday.

Comment

I actually know the answer to that one. the Middlebury Men's team also hosts a New Years Weekend tournament, and when the women's event was moved from November to January, there was a conflict with Friday and Saturday.
            Ahh...that's unfortunate that the women get shafted with tough dates for parents and fans to try and make it to the games.

Makes Brian going to these games and covering them all the more valuable and TOTALLY AWESOME!
            GO LAKERS!!!
            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
            Oswego State '09

Comment

will be there. commuting back and forth from plattsburgh. should be a pretty telling weekend of hockey.

Comment

Who's going?
                Nope.
                Me.
                Marriott, ?, ?
                Plattsburgh will take home the trophy.

Comment

Originally posted by creasemonkey View Post
                  Nope.
                  Me.
                  Marriott, ?, ?
                  Plattsburgh will take home the trophy.
                  Not Amherst because Krystyn isn't there anymore?
                  GO LAKERS!!!
                  Oswego State '09

Comment

Mmmm, not because Elek isn't playing anymore, but rather because I think goaltending is their Achilles heel. That being said however, the Amherst defensemen are phenomenal and they present multiple threats. They are fast, hard to beat, and can shoot very well from the point. Opponents will have to be respectful of that and be able to get shots off fast or the Amherst D will take the puck away. If you can get past the defensemen they are beatable. My allegiance will always be with the Lord Jeffs and of course I hope they do win it, but like I've mentioned before, I call it the way I see it, even through my purple lenses.

Comment

Who would not miss Krystyn? I think her intensity and competitive spirit put her in a class with Kogut as the top NESCAC goalie of all time (all due respect to Bowdoin's Emily McKissock). That said Amherst was able to be outplayed by RIT and come back to tie them a week ago and then soundly beat them last Saturday, so they have shown themselves to be pretty good at the ECAC-West crash and bash style. I have not seen Plattsburgh yet this season and I am sure Coach Houle will have them ready to go out and prove that last season's 4-1 loss at Amherst was, well, last year's news. It should be a great game.
                      I have not watched Elmira to date, and only saw Midd beat Bowdoin 4-3 up at Watson. Midd looked young in letting the Polar Bears back into the game after leading 2-0, but they are really fast and, as Midd teams always do, pass the puck exceptionally well. Their D is improved and amazingly their weakness seems not getting consistent goal play. They will be interesting to watch on Kenyon's big ice (and how about the season McNally is putting up?). Does Elmira have the speed on D to cope with Midd's quickness and the big ice?
                      Anyway...Ms. Obserbear has consented to attend and we will be at the Middlebury Inn. I am sure the Marriott is very nice, but the Inn actually has that New England inn, old time thing going. I am fond of The Storm Cafe (not to mention Kenyon's famous chili and actually edible hot dogs) and really have sort of gotten over my party thing (so 60s, 70s 80s and 90s).
                      Hope to meet you all at Kenyon!

Comment

Their D is improved and amazingly their weakness seems not getting consistent goal play.
                        I project the winner of Amherst/Plattsburgh will win the weekend, but as for goaltending I think Midd has the edge.

Comment

Originally posted by stacksave View Post
                          I project the winner of Amherst/Plattsburgh will win the weekend, but as for goaltending I think Midd has the edge.
                          Agreed. Here is my prognostication for the weekend:

1. Elmira vs Middlebury-Last year Elmira dominated Midd in two games and lost both. This matchup is the classic ECAC-West vs NESCAC, basically size versus speed. I haven't seen anyone at EC filling the shoes of Coady, Huntley, or Cubberly, so on paper this looks like a good bet for a Panther victory. Call it 3-1 Middlebury.

2. Amherst vs Plattsburgh-Amherst's victory in the NCAA quarters wasn't so surprising, but the ease with which they dispatched the Cardinals was truly shocking. As good as Amherst's players have been, I think their biggest weapon is Coach Plumer. He figures out ways to beat you, and based on last season, he has obviously figured out how to beat Plattsburgh. On the other side of the coin, Plattsburgh seems to have survived the graduation of a monster class, and is ready to pick up where they left off. One of these teams is going to need a great game in net to survive, and right now the best bet for that would be HU and the Lord Jeffs. Call it 3-2 Amherst.

3. Elmira vs Plattsburgh-based on my prognostication this will be the third place game. Whether its for third or first, what a great opportunity for the Midd and Amherst faithful to be able to watch these two slug it out. I'm leaning towards the Cardinals in this one. Call it 4-2 Platty.

4. Amherst vs Middlebury-Amherst won three of their four matchups last year, and clearly has developed the ability to forecheck the Panthers into coughing up the puck. However, looking at the last two games played (NESCAC championship and FF semi) each team scored a total of 6 goals, but more importantly, all 6 Jeff goals in those two games came on the power play. If Midd can stay out of the penalty box, their goaltending will keep them in it. But, if push comes to shove, I'll call it 2-1 Amherst.

If I am right, EC goes home with two losses and is basically finished in the pool C derby. Sorry Prez.

Comment

Agreed. Here is my prognostication for the weekend:

1. Elmira vs Middlebury-Last year Elmira dominated Midd in two games and lost both. This matchup is the classic ECAC-West vs NESCAC, basically size versus speed. I haven't seen anyone at EC filling the shoes of Coady, Huntley, or Cubberly, so on paper this looks like a good bet for a Panther victory. Call it 3-1 Middlebury.

2. Amherst vs Plattsburgh-Amherst's victory in the NCAA quarters wasn't so surprising, but the ease with which they dispatched the Cardinals was truly shocking. As good as Amherst's players have been, I think their biggest weapon is Coach Plumer. He figures out ways to beat you, and based on last season, he has obviously figured out how to beat Plattsburgh. On the other side of the coin, Plattsburgh seems to have survived the graduation of a monster class, and is ready to pick up where they left off. One of these teams is going to need a great game in net to survive, and right now the best bet for that would be HU and the Lord Jeffs. Call it 3-2 Amherst.

3. Elmira vs Plattsburgh-based on my prognostication this will be the third place game. Whether its for third or first, what a great opportunity for the Midd and Amherst faithful to be able to watch these two slug it out. I'm leaning towards the Cardinals in this one. Call it 4-2 Platty.

4. Amherst vs Middlebury-Amherst won three of their four matchups last year, and clearly has developed the ability to forecheck the Panthers into coughing up the puck. However, looking at the last two games played (NESCAC championship and FF semi) each team scored a total of 6 goals, but more importantly, all 6 Jeff goals in those two games came on the power play. If Midd can stay out of the penalty box, their goaltending will keep them in it. But, if push comes to shove, I'll call it 2-1 Amherst.

If I am right, EC goes home with two losses and is basically finished in the pool C derby. Sorry Prez.
                            I wouldn't throw Elmira under the bus just yet.

EC's rookie goaltender Lauren Sullivan, leads the conference in both goals against and save percentage.

EC has 5 players listed in the top 16 point scorers in their conference tied only with "Blowout RIT"

EC holds the # 1 position in the conference with defenseman scoring.

EC has 2 frosh in the top 5 in freshman scoring in the conference. Again "Blowout RIT" dominates in this category.

and... EC is # 1 in the conference with a 90.6 penalty kill ratio.

Just sayin....

Comment

Originally posted by 5 4 Fighting View Post
                              I wouldn't throw Elmira under the bus just yet.

EC's rookie goaltender Lauren Sullivan, leads the conference in both goals against and save percentage.

EC has 5 players listed in the top 16 point scorers in their conference tied only with "Blowout RIT"

EC holds the # 1 position in the conference with defenseman scoring.

EC has 2 frosh in the top 5 in freshman scoring in the conference. Again "Blowout RIT" dominates in this category.

and... EC is # 1 in the conference with a 90.6 penalty kill ratio.

Just sayin....
                              I didn't think I threw EC under the bus, I simply pointed out that someone will leave this tourney with two losses, and if EC is the one that loses twice, their pool C chances will be seriously diminished.

I also think its way too early in the season to draw conclusions based on statistics, especially for goalies. Sullivan had a good outing against Manhattanville (and one average outing), and one good outing against Utica, but did not face Platty. She had games against Buff State, Hamilton, and Chatham that would help anyone's stats.

Comment

Working...
                              X