• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 13 Rules for Hockey Parents Everywhere

A nice little piece from John Buccigross on ESPN.com

http://espn.go.com/nhl/notebook/_/pa...nts-everywhere
    Christmas list: Dominik Hasek, ten years younger

Re: 13 Rules for Hockey Parents Everywhere

Thoroughly enjoyed the article...especially the exposure in the media.

Brings me back to the younger years....children are now grown and enjoying a game they can play for life.

It goes fast, enjoy them and the game while it lasts!
    Without mutual respect for all participants, our game will slowly self-destruct...

Comment

After being gone from youth hockey for a couple of years, this brings back both good and bad memories. Bottom line is just make sure the KIDS are having fun!

Comment

Originally posted by le_fan39 View Post
        A nice little piece from John Buccigross on ESPN.com

http://espn.go.com/nhl/notebook/_/pa...nts-everywhere
        A great article!!!!
        Fire Chiarelli!

Comment

Originally posted by boston buzz View Post
          A great article!!!!
          This. (Already forwarded it to the parents on our team).

Comment

I thoroughly enjoyed the article but I would change one thing. Never yell instruction to your child during the game. You will become frustrated when she doesn't listen to your great advice and worse yet she might just hear it and listen to it. Instead of instruction during her shift on the ice yell for her to hustle and skate hard and beat them to the puck. One of the worst things a coach or parent can do is to instruct their players while they are skating in what to do other that hustle to get back etc. Even if you were the best hockey mind in the world you could not relay that information fast enough to get a player on the ice to react in the way you want them to in time. Nor should you want to since that is how they learn to play the game. Yet when the shift is over is a prime time for the coach to teach that player what other alternatives they had available to them. It will still be fresh in their minds so they will remember what you are talking about. This is when the best coaching "happens".
            Last edited by ushockey; 12-17-2009, 11:47 AM. Reason: missing word
            "It's a great day for hockey." Badger Bob Johnson

Comment

Terrific piece. But I expect nothing list from a sports journalist who paid some dues in Rhode Island.

Comment

Nice article...Can't say I agree with the used sk8t deal however.

Comment

I don't agree with the skates either, but I definitely agree with him on the zillion dollar stick. All that carbon composite stuff isn't going to help put the puck in the net when you're still in squirts.
                  Christmas list: Dominik Hasek, ten years younger

Comment

I think the point of used skates is to not take the game so seriously when the child is young. The player can have fun and learn the game with a solid piece of used equipment, if the parents aren't busy trying to outspend each other. I'm sure NHL annals are filled with stars who were on the ice in hand-me-down skates at that age.
                    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

If there is one piece of equipment that has improved significantly over the last few years...it is the sk8t. Composite materials are being used to bring the sk8t to a new level of lightness while maintaining their protective qualities. Lighter sk8ts translate into quicker feet and a more natural stride. This, at an early age is fundemental. So many kids don't get the benefit of a properly fitted sk8t these days cause Mom/Dad either buy used sk8ts or sk8ts that are 2 sizes too big so they will last a few years. The vast majority of sk8ts todays are heat moldable starting at the Junior 1 size and therefore they have probably been molded to someone elses foot on the used market.
                      It's all about the skating...putting your young tike in anything other than a properly fitted, good quality pair of new skates and a good helmet is instrumental in ensuring that little Johnny/Sally enjoys the game thoroughly. All because Mom/Dad had the good sense not to cheap out on their sk8ts when they were growing up.

Comment

Great article - really enjoyed it..but I also have to disagree about hand me down skates -- they are okay to start, but proper fit and support are so very important - depends on the condition of the skates.. My daughter started with her brother's hand me downs, until she went to a skating clinic and was having the toughest time with skating backwards - the coach checked out her skates and noticed they weren't fitting her properly - we got some new ones for her and they really helped-- but that doesn't mean they were top of the line, either.. I totally agree that too much emphasis is placed on name brands and "gotta have" that the kids are brainwashed -especially the $200 sticks!!!

Comment

Also with regard to new vs. used skates you also have to consider the condition of the blades, i.e. the cost to buy and put on new blades vs. the cost of buying new. With regular sharpening (also a must) blades do wear down quickly, and it may be more cost effective to simply buy a new pair, especially when the feet are still growing and another half or whole size is needed to ensure a proper fit (THE most important thing, IMO).

Buying used can be OK, but you need to be very selective and make sure they fit properly, are comfortable and the blades are not worn down too much.
                          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Nice article but #11 is seriously flawed. Never do you intentionally run up the score. It is bad sportsmanship. If you want to eventually teach kids how to get peeved off and fight, then run up the score. It's called respect and respect is much more important than the excitement of scoring a goal. Selfishness is too prevalent in kids hockey. Keep that out of the game.
                            As for skates, if you can afford them, buy good middle of the road skates that fit. Used is ok but make sure they fit snugly. The connection your child has with the ice is the most important thing besides a top quality new or used helmet that fits! Do your homework.

Comment

I almost forgot....With all due respect could think of several better than Hasek.....Bad team guy....Bad in the room.

Comment

Working...
                              X