X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kathryn Waldo former Northeastern Huskie

http://www.boston.com/sports/college...elled_nu_team/

Re: Kathryn Waldo former Northeastern Huskie

Wow. What a wonderful and sad story at the same time. Hope she rests in peace.
    Last edited by OnMAA; 12-16-2009, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
      Wow. What a wonderful story. Hope she rests in piece.
      this.
      (where the heart beats)

bleep.

Comment

Puts a whole lot of things into perspective doesn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by pbrazeau View Post
          Puts a whole lot of things into perspective doesn't it?
          She sounds like an amazing athlete as well a person. Think about how sick she was when she boarded the plane to see her brother and sister in laws babies to make sure they were okay!

Comment

Yes, it certainly does put many things in perspective.

Comment

RIP Kathy.

We should all be so lucky to have an ounce of your perseverance and optimism.

Comment

Wow...I'm truly touched by this story...even as I reread it 10 hours later. She cared about others until the end.

There is something special about hockey players......you are blessed to play the game, blessed to be fans of it, and honest and caring enough to truly appreciate all that it offers us....no doubt the greatest game on earth!
                Without mutual respect for all participants, our game will slowly self-destruct...

Comment

Today's "Letters to the Editor" I think this says it all:

Home /Globe /Opinion /Letters to the Editor - Boston Globe
                  Northeastern athlete was an inspiration
                  December 17, 2009
                  RE “KATHRYN Waldo, 33; her grit and skates propelled NU team’’: I wanted to recognize the Dec. 16 obituary by Marvin Pave, and reiterate how inspirational Waldo was.

Her senior season at Northeastern coincided with my freshman year, and my assignment (luckily) was to cover the women’s hockey team for what was then the Northeastern News. Early on, many of the players and coaches urged me to focus on the player who wore number 14. “The smaller one? What’s her story?’’ I naively asked. Far be it from me to point out her characteristics better than her family or friends, those she was deeply committed to. Still, Waldo was different. It wasn’t cystic fibrosis, it wasn’t that she was only a shade over 5 feet or that she played on the boys varsity team in high school. It was that every wrench, every obstacle, every setback made her that much stronger and more determined to beat the odds.

I’m a better person today for knowing Kathryn Waldo. Her words on the “Good Morning America’’ piece - “I love my life’’ - I’ve carried with me since the morning it aired. I spoke with her for just a few fleeting moments, but I know very well she affected everyone she met.

Andy Cuneo
                  Reston, Va.

© Copyright 2009 Globe Newspaper Company

Comment

Wonderful story. May she rest in peace.

Comment

This 1999 article in SI featuring her is another great read. It gives more background in the early part of her life and the challenges faced by both her and her parents.

Nice quotes as well from her NU teammate and current UConn assistant Jaime Totten.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...5241/index.htm

The "defy all odds" spirit of this young lady is awe inspiring. !

Comment

Originally posted by Redhead'sDad View Post
                        Wonderful story. May she rest in peace.
                        This.

Also, while Miss Bono may be very competitive on the ice, she is one of the nicest people you could hope to meet. She has spent countless hours over the past decade volunteering her time to attract youngsters to the sport and help build their skills and love of the game.

She makes a pretty good cannoli too!

Comment

I might suggest that Northeastern retire her jersey in a ceremony during the later part of this season and create and bestow the Waldo award at this years season-end banquet to the player who most embodies the spirit of this fine young lady that I've only read about and didn't get to know.

Northeastern women's hockey alumna could start an annual contribution to the Waldo fund that would generate small annual holiday gifts for children in the ped ward at Boston Children's hospital. The players would have an annual day that they deliver the gifts.

I am not a Huskie, not an alumna, but I will be the first to contribute. Please post an address SPECIFIC to her fund and not the general fund.
                          Last edited by Title_IX_Player; 12-18-2009, 10:51 AM. Reason: spelling, pc stuff
                          Entitled to our piece of the pie!

Comment

Originally posted by Title_IX_Player View Post
                            I might suggest that Northeastern retire her jersey in a ceremony during the later part of this season and create and bestow the Waldo award at this years season-end banquet to the player who most embodies the spirit of this fine young lady that I've only read about and didn't get to know.

Northeastern women's hockey alumna could start an annual contribution to the Waldo fund that would generate small annual holiday gifts for children in the ped ward at Boston Children's hospital. The players would have an annual day that they deliver the gifts.

I am not a Huskie, not an alumna, but I will be the first to contribute. Please post an address SPECIFIC to her fund and not the general fund.
                            Like to think bigger in this case. Does the NCAA Womens D1 game have something like a Bill Masterton Trophy ?. If not here is an Opportunity.

Comment

What a trooper. The family shall carry pride with this legacy. It's amazing how some people spin adversity into strength. It sure does, make you stop, and think.....

Comment

Working...
                              X