Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brown @ SCSU Jan 2&3: Brown vs. Bored of Education (thank you Jase Weslosky)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brown @ SCSU Jan 2&3: Brown vs. Bored of Education (thank you Jase Weslosky)

Brown may only have 5 wins on their season, but they're on a 5-game winning streak, so take that as you will. 4 of the 5 wins were at home, and now they have to weather a 6 game road trip.

SCSU is coming off a thrilling tie against CC where they erased a 3-goal deficit, then a flat Saturday where that 3-goal deficit stood. They're in 5th in the WCHA, only 4 points out of first, yet on the other side with UND and MN nipping at their heels.

Brown's gotta consider a split a huge victory, and would continue on their roll; SCSU has to expect nothing but a sweep.

I know its not for another 2 and a half weeks... but its not like we've got anything better to do, right?
    tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Re: Brown @ SCSU Jan 2&3: Brown vs. Bored of Education (thank you Jase Weslosky)

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
    Brown may only have 5 wins on their season, but they're on a 5-game winning streak, so take that as you will. 4 of the 5 wins were at home, and now they have to weather a 6 game road trip.

SCSU is coming off a thrilling tie against CC where they erased a 3-goal deficit, then a flat Saturday where that 3-goal deficit stood. They're in 5th in the WCHA, only 4 points out of first, yet on the other side with UND and MN nipping at their heels.

Brown's gotta consider a split a huge victory, and would continue on their roll; SCSU has to expect nothing but a sweep.

I know its not for another 2 and a half weeks... but its not like we've got anything better to do, right?
    Brown picked up a great recruit in Borge. Good pick up for them
    Last edited by Hokydad; 12-15-2009, 02:49 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Re: Brown @ SCSU Jan 2&3: Brown vs. Bored of Education (thank you Jase Weslosky)

A kind word, if I may.

Hilarious thread title!

Comment

One of the better thread titles I've seen in a while. Clever.

Comment

Agreed about the thread title. Good looks!

Can anyone tell me more about St. Cloud State? Living on the east coast, I am only exposed to Hockey East and the occasional ECAC game (and, thanks to DirecTV, I can occasionally view games from the WCHA or CCHA- but not many).

I can tell you that they way that Brown has been playing recently is simply phenomenal. It's a very high-paced, energetic game that focuses on maintaining possession. On offense, we cycle down in the corners until something gives, and we cash in on most of our opportunities. We've scored 22 goals in the last 5 games. On defense, we block a lot of shots and play a pressure defense that causes a lot of errors and/or soft shots from the attacking team. Mike Clemente, the sophomore goaltender, has been coming up huge lately, and the defense has only allowed 6 goals during the current 5-game win streak.

So, what should we expect to see from SCSU? Well, I guess I won't be able to actually see them play myself unless it's on TV (ha!), but I'm still interested because I haven't seen them play since the 03-04 season, when they came to Providence and were throttled by the last good Brown team to date, 4-1, in a game that wasn't as close as the score indicates. I remember next to nothing about that game, other than the fact that the goalie let up 3 easy goals, while making several outstanding stops on chances that should have actually been goals (go figure). But obviously, he isn't enrolled in the school anymore, so that gives me absolutely no knowledge about the team whatsoever! Educate me!

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
            Agreed about the thread title. Good looks!

Can anyone tell me more about St. Cloud State? Living on the east coast, I am only exposed to Hockey East and the occasional ECAC game (and, thanks to DirecTV, I can occasionally view games from the WCHA or CCHA- but not many).

I can tell you that they way that Brown has been playing recently is simply phenomenal. It's a very high-paced, energetic game that focuses on maintaining possession. On offense, we cycle down in the corners until something gives, and we cash in on most of our opportunities. We've scored 22 goals in the last 5 games. On defense, we block a lot of shots and play a pressure defense that causes a lot of errors and/or soft shots from the attacking team. Mike Clemente, the sophomore goaltender, has been coming up huge lately, and the defense has only allowed 6 goals during the current 5-game win streak.

So, what should we expect to see from SCSU? Well, I guess I won't be able to actually see them play myself unless it's on TV (ha!), but I'm still interested because I haven't seen them play since the 03-04 season, when they came to Providence and were throttled by the last good Brown team to date, 4-1, in a game that wasn't as close as the score indicates. I remember next to nothing about that game, other than the fact that the goalie let up 3 easy goals, while making several outstanding stops on chances that should have actually been goals (go figure). But obviously, he isn't enrolled in the school anymore, so that gives me absolutely no knowledge about the team whatsoever! Educate me!
            What to expect from SCSU: SCSU is a team that has the talent to breakout and be a big boy in the WCHA, but you are what your record is, and based off the last few years, SCSU is a middle of the pack WCHA squad. However, we tend to eat up squads from the smaller 3 conferences at home, and you should be really glad that your team looks fast, because SCSU is one of the fastest teams in the nation. Fortunately for you, our PP sucks something fierce right now, and we have inconsistnecy issues. No offense to Brown, but if SCSU shows up two nights in a row and plays good Husky hockey, expect to get your doors blown off. If we play like we have been and I expect against a nonconference schedule, congratulations on a split/at least you stole a point.

And are you mistaking SCSU for someone else? In 03/04 we beat Providence 6-1.

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

Comment

He's referring to the fact that Brown is in Providence.
              A Viking, no A Husky fan... nothing like being a professional student

I will always be proud to be a husky fan!

Comment

Originally posted by STC_for_me View Post
                He's referring to the fact that Brown is in Providence.
                Well we didn't play Brown in 03/04

Comment

Well we didn't play Brown in 03/04
                  Might have been 02/03. One of those bright years (there were only 3, so this shouldn't be too hard to remember).

EDIT:

It was 01/02, the only year of that bright stretch for Brown that I failed to mention. Figures.
                  Last edited by kdiff77; 12-15-2009, 10:52 PM.

Comment

What to expect from SCSU: SCSU is a team that has the talent to breakout and be a big boy in the WCHA, but you are what your record is, and based off the last few years, SCSU is a middle of the pack WCHA squad. However, we tend to eat up squads from the smaller 3 conferences at home, and you should be really glad that your team looks fast, because SCSU is one of the fastest teams in the nation. Fortunately for you, our PP sucks something fierce right now, and we have inconsistnecy issues. No offense to Brown, but if SCSU shows up two nights in a row and plays good Husky hockey, expect to get your doors blown off. If we play like we have been and I expect against a nonconference schedule, congratulations on a split/at least you stole a point.

With regard to the bolded part: Brown's PK has been airtight of late as well, so I guess we shouldn't be expecting too many PP goals in the series! Our PP is truly awful as well.

Frankly, I'm not expecting anything more than a couple of well-played games by Brown. Anything less and I'll be slightly disappointed (but not too much, given the quality of the opponent and the venue), anything more and I'll likely be ecstatic.

Best of luck to SCSU except on the scoreboard!

Comment

Bored of education, I GET IT! haha.

Yeah, I'm hoping (expecting) wings at least one of the two nights..

Comment

Forgot to give you scouting reports on SCSU fans:

Expect lots of pessimism, skattered mothering, quite a bit of in-house bickering, and somebody may even get upset, take his puck and go home!

Comment

Also remember that SCSU has a tendency to play to the level of their opponents. They stuck with Miami when the Hawks were the #1 team in the nation, but also tied Union and lost to MTU.
                          St. Cloud, Minnesota: You could do worse...

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

The 2009 Poser of the Year

Comment

Forgot to give you scouting reports on SCSU fans:

Expect lots of pessimism, skattered mothering, quite a bit of in-house bickering, and somebody may even get upset, take his puck and go home!
                            And the fact that it is in the heart of winter break, so the student section will be deserted.

Comment

Though it's hard to believe that anyone would look forward to a trip to Minnesota in the dead of the winter, the Brown players are looking forward to playing a world-class team like Saint Cloud State University. It'll be an excellent opportunity for the Bears to assess how far they've progressed this season, from being the joke of the league to a team that opponents are beginning to respect.

Brown may not be blessed with the outstanding talent that Saint Cloud possesses, but the Bears are well coached, and play with a lot of heart and more skill than generally assumed.

A split in the series would be an accomplishment for Brown, but even if the Bears aren't successful on the scoreboard, playing a nationally-ranked, highly skilled team like SCSU on its own ice will be a good learning experience for them, which hopefully will make them better in the second half of the season.

Comment

Working...
                              X