No announcement yet.

2009 Florida College Classic - Maine, Cornell, Colorado College, and Princeton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 Florida College Classic - Maine, Cornell, Colorado College, and Princeton

a little early, but it's 3AM and I'm bored. discuss.

Re: 2009 Florida College Classic - Maine, Cornell, Colorado College, and Princeton

Because of Maine's recent history of slumping in Jan I have been apprehensive of getting too excited about the team this season. This tournament will be a good indicator of whether this season is really different, if Tim has successfully implemented changes, or if they become complacent with their recent success.
    GO MAINE

Comment

Re: 2009 Florida College Classic - Maine, Cornell, Colorado College, and Princeton

Originally posted by Maine fan at UNH View Post
      Because of Maine's recent history of slumping in Jan I have been apprehensive of getting too excited about the team this season. This tournament will be a good indicator of whether this season is really different, if Tim has successfully implemented changes, or if they become complacent with their recent success.
      I think the changes are quite evident. There is a different work ethic and drive on this team. I think Timmay has changed his style and philosophy....at least it appears that way...for now. This team has confidence and they are scoring goals in bunches and Darling is playing his arse off. Good things for the 2nd 1/2.

Comment

Originally posted by ck1969 View Post
        I think the changes are quite evident. There is a different work ethic and drive on this team. I think Timmay has changed his style and philosophy....at least it appears that way...for now. This team has confidence and they are scoring goals in bunches and Darling is playing his arse off. Good things for the 2nd 1/2.
        I feel that the players are extremely motivated this year to succeed. They have a winning mentality and do not give up. Excellent chemistry and they seem to all get along. I guess that has to do with the age group. They are definately a bunch of winners and they know what it takes to compete. I can not see this team going into a slump. The question becomes is when do you start playing your other goaltenders or having them share icetime with Darling ie; when the score for Maine is 8 goals or better?

Comment

sad to say first time in a few years I'm going to miss this tournament, with my own hockey schedule its not feasible. If the tournament is anything like years past , especially last year, it should be a good one. I'm excited to read the summaries and see the results.

Comment

The Cornell v Colorado College game should be a great one to watch. Both teams are superb this year. It will be good experience for both teams, win-or-lose.

All the other three teams have played significantly better than Princeton so far this year, so I'll be surprised if the Tigers come out with a single win from the weekend; however, Kalemba looked like his old self against Mass-Lowell on Saturday, so maybe they'll turn things around in time for this tournament. Either way the weekend is two great opportunities for them to prove (once again) that they can skate with the best of 'em.
            MAKE HOBEY PROUD!

"If there really is a hoop heaven, the house band would be Princeton's, troubadours in straw hats who played the theme from "Underdog" late in the Tigers' victory."
            - Sports Illustrated 3/25/96
            "We have 7 national championships. Who's ever heard of you guys?"
            -Drunk NoDak Fan at 2008 Midwest Regional

Comment

Originally posted by PUBand09 View Post
              The Cornell v Colorado College game should be a great one to watch. Both teams are superb this year. It will be good experience for both teams, win-or-lose.
              This should be a great game. I wish I could watch it on TV or be there in person. At least I have radio though. Hopefully CC can do well at this tournament to boost their PWR a bit.

Comment

This will be the cream of the holiday tournament crop. Those snowbirds are pretty lucky to get good caliber competition there.
                Bulldog Hockey: 2011 National Champions! Finally!!!

Comment

Agree with comments posted. Should make for a great tourny!! I'll post detailed info about the CC Tigers in the days to come.

Go CC Tigers!!
                  World Arena North (aka Magness Arena on the campus of Denver State University) where the Colorado College Tigers are 17-11-5 all time against the Metro State Pioneers. Thank you Denver Roadrunners for building a second home for CC!!

World Arena North lives on!! Go Tigers!!

CC Tiger fans join us at: http://cctigerhockey.yuku.com

Comment

I'm not sure Cornell is as good as its press and ranking indicate. They are definitely a better skating and higher scoring team than in past years, but have been inconsistent.

For example, they were outskated by Quinnipiac for 50 minutes, and then turned on the jets and got 2 goals late. Against BU, they got some early goals, but BU outplayed them for the 2nd and 3rd periods.

If they bring it for 60 minutes, they'll be outstanding. But they haven't done that yet.
                    Cornell '82

"The first time I went to a Cornell game, I was in awe. I'm a big believer that sports fans should get out and see everything -- the Indy 500, the Super Bowl, the Kentucky Derby. I've seen all that, and there's nothing like Lynah Rink." - Carl McKee, father of Cornell Goalie, David McKee

Comment

Maine 4 Princeton 2
                      CC 3 Cornell 2

Maine 5 CC 3

Comment

This is a different CC team than many of you may be accustomed to. In the past they've been led by small, skilled Hobey candidates on the top line with offensively minded defensemen behind them. Often their third and fourth lines didn't match up well against top teams, and their defense made big mistakes.
                        This year's team has an extremely solid top 4 on defense, led by Kris Fredheim, Nate Prosser and Ryan Lowery. Gabe Guentzel is an offensive minded defenseman who gets a ton of minutes, and will make the occasional mistake. After the top 4, a few freshmen have been playing well - Doug Leaverton seems to have solidified as the #5 guy, with Joe Marciano and Mike Boivin as 6 & 7. Boivin is another guy with some offensive skills, but the rest seem content to play a simple defensive game.
                        At forward the big differences this year are that they getting goals from every line and that every line is working hard. After seniors Mike Testwuide (12) and Bill Sweatt (9), the forward goal scoring is 2, 4, 6, 6, 2, 3, 1, 3, 2, 2. In the past, it appeared that the team was waiting for someone else to score or backcheck hard, but this year's team seems to have lots of jump all game from the top of the lineup to the bottom.

Here's a quote from an SCSU fan after last weekend's series. While I do think he shortchanges CC's talent a bit, this post isn't that far off. In the past (and this year with some other WCHA teams) there are 1-3 guys who have tremendous talent, and everyone else seems to be along for the ride. While CC may not have that gamebreaking talent, the entire roster is filled with guys who can make things happen. One example is Andrew Hamburg - he is a freshman who played in just 4 of the team's first 12 games, and in the fourth game he was on one of the top lines and had 1g 2a.

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                        Before I get trashed for this, hear me out: CC was the least impressive team I've ever seen come into the NHC and score 8 goals on us in a weekend. I wasn't overly impressed with them talent-wise, and I see why a lot of people were picking them to go on the road in the playoffs.

That being said, they just don't make a lot of mistakes. Last night SCSU had a ton of opportunities, but most were created by Cloud doing something good, not CC screwing up. Howe I didn't get a read on at all; he didn't blow me away by any means, it seems like every time we got a really good shot on goal it ended up in the back of the net, but he didn't give up anything soft and his positioning seemed pretty good. So maybe he's great and had a bad weekend where he didn't come up and make any game-stealing saves, but even without an amazingly talented roster, CC could easily end up in 2nd or 3rd in the WCHA this year. I think everybody who could compete with them (UND, UW, MN, SCSU, UMD) has quite a bit of issues and question marks themselves.

Congrats to CC on getting 3 on the road, good luck to you guys this year and we'll see you again in January.

Comment

This is another step to gauge IF Maine Hockey can play with the big dogs...they have played out-standing the last 6 games after pretty much stinking up the rink in the first 11 games....big test and they will not sneak up on anyone in the 2nd half......keys are the 1st line keeps scoring which in turn will take pressure off the 2nd and 3rd lines and give them ideal chances as the 1st line gets shadowed....Darling has to continue to play focused hockey....needs to keep the puck in his body and glove and not around him....the whole team has to continue to come back on defense and block shots,make the passing lanes a nightmare for other teams and limit the penaltys....power-play has to stay hot..which means take a penalty vs Maine and pay dearly.....imo.

Comment

Originally posted by sandiegoblkbr View Post
                            Maine 4 Princeton 2
                            CC 3 Cornell 2

Maine 5 CC 3
                            Optimistic....but I hope it holds!
                            You know you go to UMaine if...

...you think Bananas is a good name for a giant bear.
                            ...you would riot after hockey games but its too darn cold.
                            ...you think hockey is the only sport that matters.
                            ...you hate UNH.

Comment

Almost one week until we get this tourney started. Seems like it is taking forever to get here!

Comment

Working...
                              X