New Poll Predictions for 12/14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Poll Predictions for 12/14

Final poll of the semester...here's my stab at how it will shake out.

1.Oswego
    2.Norwich
    3.Plattsburgh
    4.Adrian
    5.St. Norbert
    6.Elmira
    7.St. Scholastica
    8.Middlebury
    9.Curry
    10.Hamline
    11.Williams
    12.Gustavus Adolphus
    13.Wentworth
    14.River Falls
    15.Manhattanville
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Re: New Poll Predictions for 12/14

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post

1.Oswego (1)
    2.Norwich (3)
    3.Plattsburgh (2)
    4.Adrian (4)
    5.St. Norbert (5)
    6.Elmira (6)
    7.St. Scholastica (7)
    8.Middlebury (8)
    9.Curry (11)
    10.Hamline (13)
    11.Williams (14)
    12.Gustavus Adolphus (NR)
    13.Wentworth (NR)
    14.River Falls (9)
    15.Manhattanville(NR)
    Plattsburgh moves down mid-season despite not playing a game? Call me a homer, I don't see that happening. Yes, Norwich had a very impressive week, but you have to acknowledge that those wins came at home against St. Mike's and Southerm NH... not exactly stiff competition.

Also, I think you might find UW-Superior at #15 instead of Manhattanville. It's a tossup in my mind. I think the #12 team losing twice on the road to the #7 is about as dissappointing as Manhattanville (who didn't even recieve votes last week) beating Buffalo State and Geneseo (neither whom recieved votes either). I'm not saying I completely disagree with you, but I'm just saying it's a toss-up for me.

Other than that, I agree with you on this. Good prediction!
    Plattsburgh CARDINALS
    SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
    ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
    NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
    NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
    NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
    NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Also, I'm not really sure where to put this, so I guess it might be appropriate here:

I was just looking at the 12/7 earlier today, and I noticed something. Boy, how things have changed since March. Of the 8 quarterfinal participants, 3 of them (Plattsburgh, St. Scholastica, UW-Superior) were ranked... and none of those were in Lake Placid in March. Just thought it was interesting to point out.
      Plattsburgh CARDINALS
      SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
      ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
      NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
      NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
      NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
      NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post

1.Oswego
        2.Norwich
        3.Plattsburgh
        4.Adrian
        5.St. Norbert
        6.Elmira
        7.St. Scholastica
        8.Middlebury
        9.Curry
        10.Hamline
        11.Williams
        12.Gustavus Adolphus
        13.Wentworth
        14.River Falls
        15.Manhattanville

Curious to see how the 1st places votes shake out...Wonder if Oswego will pick up some more 1st place votes after a week involving 3 games, two on the road, and finishing up 5 games in 9 days.
        Oswego'08, '10

From the shores of Lake Ontario to the island of Hilton Head...

2011-2012 SUNYAC Pick 'Em Champion!
        2011-2012 D3FHL Overall Points Champs!

Comment

Originally posted by Ozz View Post
          Curious to see how the 1st places votes shake out...Wonder if Oswego will pick up some more 1st place votes after a week involving 3 games, two on the road, and finishing up 5 games in 9 days.
          Oswego's wins weren't against teams with the most impressive overall win percentages: Hamilton (.500), Brockport (.500), Hobart (.462), Utica (.423), and Morrisville (.273).

Nor were Norwich's wins: Hamilton (.500), Southern Maine (.438), and Saint Michael's (.286)

While "a win is a win", winning any of these games doesn't amount to much in the "how good you are" department, other than to say you aren't bad.
          Last edited by norm1909; 12-13-2009, 09:07 PM.
          Larry Normandin
          SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
          WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

I don't know what the final poll results will be. But if Middlebury is in the top fifteen, I will only chuckle at the ridiculousness of the pollsters.
            Voters who look past their mediocre record of this year and use "historical expectation" as a rationale are laughable. This team as beaten no one (And don't say Stout was a test) and rests in 4th place in their conference. Voters who vote for Middlebury are a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
              Oswego's wins weren't against teams with the most impressive overall win percentages: Hamilton (.500), Brockport (.500), Hobart (.462), Utica (.423), and Morrisville (.273).

Nor were Norwich's wins: Hamilton (.500), Southern Maine (.438), and Saint Michael's (.286)

While "a win is a win", winning any of these games doesn't amount to much in the "how good you are" department, other than to say you aren't bad.
              Well the Brockport game was last weekend before the 12/7 poll was released and the Morrisville game was back before the Thanksgiving break so why are we discussing those for this weeks poll? Same thing for Norwich vs Hamilton.

This week Oswego played:
              Utica (.455 going in, now .423)
              Hamilton (.583 going in, now .500)
              Hobart (.500 going in, now .462)

Hobart somehow received a vote in last weeks poll so give a tiny amount of credit there for beating them big. As far as Hamilton, they were a .583 going into the Oswego game if you looking at percentages, why fault Oswego for dropping them down to .500 ?

I would guess Oswego steals one or two votes away from Plattsburgh, even though they were idle for the week. Either that or Norwich might steal a vote as well. I don't see Adrian losing their first place votes. I would think the top 5 remain the same though.

Comment

Originally posted by mazile View Post
                I don't know what the final poll results will be. But if Middlebury is in the top fifteen, I will only chuckle at the ridiculousness of the pollsters.
                Voters who look past their mediocre record of this year and use "historical expectation" as a rationale are laughable. This team as beaten no one (And don't say Stout was a test) and rests in 4th place in their conference. Voters who vote for Middlebury are a joke.

If you haven't already been chuckling at the ridiculousness of some of the pollsters you're a few years late.
                Last edited by Matthew Webb; 12-14-2009, 01:56 AM.
                “You drive by some of these rinks in the winter and there isn't anybody out there. It's kind of sad, actually...Here it’s go to the rink, pay for your ice time and practice for an hour where we could just walk to the rink and skate for four hours if we wanted to...It was just a lot of fun. I wish I could go back and be eight years old for a couple days" -Neal Broten

2010-11 DIII Commitments
                19gp, (23-24-47), +27

Comment

Originally posted by Stormy8174 View Post
                  Well the Brockport game was last weekend before the 12/7 poll was released and the Morrisville game was back before the Thanksgiving break so why are we discussing those for this weeks poll? Same thing for Norwich vs Hamilton...
                  Agreed, but the post I replied to noted Oswego "finishing up 5 games in 9 days.".

... As far as Hamilton, they were a .583 going into the Oswego game if you looking at percentages, why fault Oswego for dropping them down to .500?
                  Certainly, I do not mean to appear to be faulting Oswego, a schedule is a schedule and many factors go into them, first conference obligations, then ECONOMICS, and lastly the teams wishes (SOS). IMO, giving Oswego much more credit "than a win is a win" for beating Hamilton just isn't warranted.

... I would guess Oswego steals one or two votes away from Plattsburgh, even though they were idle for the week. Either that or Norwich might steal a vote as well. I don't see Adrian losing their first place votes. I would think the top 5 remain the same though.
                  IMO, stealing points will be the best any team in the top 10 gaining points can claim (none deserve any first place point changes), Stout probably has the best rights at claiming any ranking points with their consecutive wins over #9 River Falls.
                  Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

I don't have a very good handle on the relative strength of teams in the Northeastern conferences with the exception of the obvious, Norwich Middlebury, Amherst... etc...
                    That said, can someone help me understand why teams with no losses like Wentworth, Curry, and Williams often appear in the bottom quarter of the Poll, and a team like Colby at 6-2 coming off two victories over last week's # 10 isn't even in the discussion ?

Are these traditionally weak conferences ?

Comment

I could see Oswego gaining a little bit of breathing room. With Plattsburgh being idle and Oswego winning their three games this week, I wouldn't be surprised to see a bigger difference than 20 points b/t Oswego and whoever the #2 is. Yes, they didn't play "high quality competition", but no one did and it isn't as if those three games were against pushovers. They're all around .500, we're not talking about 3 wins over Leb Valley/Concordia.

Also, I don't think Norwich will be #2 for this reason. I think Plattsburgh will lose some points, but not enough to put Norwich ahead of them because, as I said, I expect Oswego to gain a couple.

Finally, I think Gustavus will get in before Wentworth. Once again, they actually played this week and I don't think it makes any sense to give a team that was idle more points than a team that played and won (granted it was Finlandia, but the point is they played), especially considering the two teams both had 19 points. Maybe they'll both get in and M-ville won't (since they got zero points in the last poll) or River Falls will drop out.
                      Oswego State Great Lakers: 2007 National Champions
                      08-09 WTOP 10 Sports Director
                      2/20/2009: First Ever Laker Hockey Webcast

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post

...but, according to some voters, a loss to any one of those teams could certainly drop Oswego out of the top 5.

Comment

Originally posted by mdmadison View Post
                          ...but, according to some voters, a loss to any one of those teams could certainly drop Oswego out of the top 5.
                          True, when you're ranked and loose to a non-ranked team, there are going to be consequences

Certainly I do not believe Oswego - or any of the top ranked teams should loose points, but I don't see any reason to believe that any of them made a statement to claim a better ranking - they did what they had to, in order to maintain the status-quo - I also believe this was the alignment of the stars, other than, as noted by loosing, no one faced an opponent that a victory over would allow them to make a statement.
                          Last edited by norm1909; 12-14-2009, 09:40 AM.
                          Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

lose*

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernLite View Post
                              I don't have a very good handle on the relative strength of teams in the Northeastern conferences with the exception of the obvious, Norwich Middlebury, Amherst... etc...
                              That said, can someone help me understand why teams with no losses like Wentworth, Curry, and Williams often appear in the bottom quarter of the Poll, and a team like Colby at 6-2 coming off two victories over last week's # 10 isn't even in the discussion ?

Are these traditionally weak conferences ?
                              ECAC NE (Curry, Wentworth) is a historically weak league, and never got an NCAA bid until they got their autobid. (Think of a 20+ year long reputation like the MCHA has had.) With a couple of exceptions, their teams have never gotten a lot of national respect. The NESCAC has a strong reputation, but historically Williams hasn't been a factor very often, and Colby was buried by the pollsters as being a bad team at the start of the season. The thoughts on those two probably run in the direction of "early season flukes"
                              2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                              2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                              2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                              2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Working...
                              X