Minnesota Golden Gophers 2009-2010: Calmly Step Away from the Ledge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2009-2010: Calmly Step Away from the Ledge

Quite frankly that comment ****es me off. I'm sick and tired of coach and the players saying that. Just shut up and do your jobs.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
      Despite the fact that the Gophers have multiple NHL draft choices, I think Ryan Flynn's comment that the skill level of this team compared to past years is not as deep is correct.
      So where did the skill go? Must have had some skill to be recruited while still in high school and going through the USA Hockey summer development camps. Even Flynn had to have had some skill at some point, afterall, he played in Ann Arbor...or maybe Ann Arbor is over-rated as they don't get all the skill guys.

I agree with ScoobyDoo's comment...yes, just shut up and do your job...play like you were trained to do.
      Remember the 5 "S's" of hockey - Speed, Size, Strength, Skill and Smarts - The more you have of these, the higher level you get to go to....

Comment

Originally posted by observer85 View Post
        So where did the skill go? Must have had some skill to be recruited while still in high school and going through the USA Hockey summer development camps. Even Flynn had to have had some skill at some point, afterall, he played in Ann Arbor...or maybe Ann Arbor is over-rated as they don't get all the skill guys.

I agree with ScoobyDoo's comment...yes, just shut up and do your job...play like you were trained to do.
        I think the answer is three dimensional: 1) their skill level plateaued, which can often happen within a system that recruits younger players who in later years fail to meet expectations, 2) intangible disconnects between the coaching staff and the players that hinders, to some degree, team chemistry, intensity and skill development and 3) D1 hockey is much different than USHL or NTDP hockey and some players never adjust properly and meet performance expectations. IMO the NTDP is overrated.
        Last edited by HarleyMC; 12-19-2009, 02:41 PM.

Comment

I think the answer is three dimensional: 1) their skill level plateaued, which can often happen within a system that recruits younger players who in later years fail to meet expectations, 2) intangible disconnects between the coaching staff and the players that hinders, to some degree, team chemistry, intensity and skill development and 3) D1 hockey is much different than USHL or NTDP hockey and some players never adjust properly and meet performance expectations. IMO the NTDP is overrated.
          What I bolded/italicized. I have seen very little, compared to past teams.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Gopher Fans Please Step Back From The Ledge
            ******* width="425" height="344">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2n4Vb91aJQg&hl=en_US&fs=1&">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2n4Vb91aJQg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">
            Last edited by dggoddard; 12-20-2009, 02:39 PM.

Comment

They haven't had really good chemistry when it counted since 2004. It was alright in 2005, and for five-six games at the end of the 2008 season, but that is about it.
              the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                They haven't had really good chemistry when it counted since 2004. It was alright in 2005, and for five-six games at the end of the 2008 season, but that is about it.
                I disagree. The first half of last year they all seemed like they were on the same page.
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                  I disagree. The first half of last year they all seemed like they were on the same page.
                  And where did that get them? That is not when it counts, is what I am saying. They have repeatedly taken steps backwards down the stretch, 2007-2008 being the exception.
                  the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                    If they continue playing the way they have, yes, I agree. They need to turn a corner. Maybe Cepis is just the thing they need? They have the goaltending for sure.

UND at home - Possible Sweep if UND's troubles continue. Huge revenge factor.
                    SCSU - Home and Home - Again, possible sweep. They owned them last year. SCSU is exactly the same as last year.
                    UAA on the road. Possible sweep. UAA is terrible.
                    Denver on the road - Possible split. They usually do well in Denver.
                    CC at home - Possible split. Huge series.
                    At tUMD - Possible split.
                    Sconnie at home - Possible split

In other words, they have to go on a huge long winning streak starting at Tech to have any shot. If they do as above they can get in. If they falter against UND, SCSU, or UAA then they have to make it up later which may be impossible.
                    I'm not saying that the Gophers couldn't sweep SCSU, but the way the teams are playing, Cloud could just as easily sweep too. And while we're not that much better than last year, how are we exactly the same squad? We don't have our starting goalie from last year, we're a much older and more seasoned squad because we lost a small (mostly worthless) senior class, and while our freshman class isn't big, its certainly one of the most talented ones we've had in a while, and all four are going to be decent factors in the series in January.
                    tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                      I'm not saying that the Gophers couldn't sweep SCSU, but the way the teams are playing, Cloud could just as easily sweep too. And while we're not that much better than last year, how are we exactly the same squad? We don't have our starting goalie from last year, we're a much older and more seasoned squad because we lost a small (mostly worthless) senior class, and while our freshman class isn't big, its certainly one of the most talented ones we've had in a while, and all four are going to be decent factors in the series in January.
                      No, Duh. This is a Gopher thread. I'm arguing what the Gophers could possibly do, not what they're going to do. I'm not prescient. I'm sure SCSU is just wonderful this year, thanks for telling us.
                      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

To: ScoobyDoo, Koho, Slap Shot, Driftryder, state of hockey, goldy_331, Brenthoven, Stauber1, ajoyce02, Happy, 5mn_Major, 4four4, Bakunin, Greyeagle, StateofGophers, dxmnkd316, Shot, SAVE Kangas!, HoosierBBall_GopherHockey, mcboozle, Gophers #1, johnnypohlfan (and I probably missed someone ). Oh, and how could I forget all those obsessed and compulsive, closet Gopher fans: Skeeterman, Goon, Dirty, wasmania, brianvf, MinnesotaNorthStar, SCSU Euro, dggoddard, etc..

I wish all of you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

*****http://i594.***********.com/albums/tt28/harleymc1/dittopic.png******
                        Last edited by HarleyMC; 12-23-2009, 11:25 PM.

Comment

To: ScoobyDoo, Koho, Slap Shot, Driftryder, state of hockey, goldy_331, Brenthoven, Stauber1, ajoyce02, Happy, 5mn_Major, 4four4, Bakunin, Greyeagle, StateofGophers, dxmnkd316, Shot, SAVE Kangas!, HoosierBBall_GopherHockey, mcboozle, Gophers #1, johnnypohlfan (and I probably missed someone ). Oh, and how could I forget all those obsessed and compulsive, closet Gopher fans: Skeeterman, Goon, Dirty, wasmania, brianvf, MinnesotaNorthStar, SCSU Euro, dggoddard, etc..

Ditto. D-oh!

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                          And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                          Twenty red lights in his honor
                          Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Thanks man and to you as well!

btw - please tell me the ditto house is yours.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                              Thanks man and to you as well!

btw - please tell me the ditto house is yours.
                              I hope not. There is no snow on the ground, which this year would've meant Christmas lights up in early November. No matter how awesome/hilarious the lights are, that's just wrong.

Still funny as heck though. Wish I would've thought of it first.
                              04-05 Pick Your Bow(e)ls Champion
                              USCHO Virtual Stock Exchange Guru

Originally posted by Dirty
                              I don't think you're weird, just a completely worthless sack of monkey poo.
                              Originally posted by UMDBulldogHockeyIsKing
                              I am saying it right here. ajoyce is the HA guru.

Comment

it took a lot of work, but I am happy to be on your Xmas list.

have a Merry Christmas.
                                XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                                Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Working...
                                X