CAN-AM series Round 3 - Dec 10-12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CAN-AM series Round 3 - Dec 10-12

There is a bunch of US vs US games today in Stoney Creek (Hamilton, Ontario) between some high profile teams.

Main event starts tomorrow.

Here is the link:

http://home.cogeco.ca/~scchallengecup/

Re: CAN-AM series Round 3 - Dec 10-12

Any predictions from the experts, to how the matches will turn out?

Comment

Originally posted by CanDad View Post
      Any predictions from the experts, to how the matches will turn out?
      Missy is on a roll. They beat the Ottawa Sens convincingly last week and are first in the PW. I'd say they are my odds on favorite. Hoping for a SSM-Missy final, with Aeros-LC for the Bronze. That is my call.

Comment

Any scores from todays USA vs USA games

Comment

Originally posted by CanDad View Post
          Any scores from todays USA vs USA games
          U19: Four of six games went into OT
          Home .vs. Visitor Score
          LA .vs. Chicago 2-2 OT
          SSM .vs. Ohio 6-1
          LC .vs. NAHA-W 1-2 OT
          LA .vs. Ohio 1-0 OT
          Chicago .vs. LC 1-4
          NAHA-W .vs. SSM 4-5 OT

U16:
          Home .vs. Visitor Score
          SSM .vs. Chicago 5-2
          LC .vs. NAHA-R 1-0
          NAHA-R .vs. SSM 0-0 OT
          Chicago .vs. LC 1-3

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
            Missy is on a roll. They beat the Ottawa Sens convincingly last week and are first in the PW. I'd say they are my odds on favorite. Hoping for a SSM-Missy final, with Aeros-LC for the Bronze. That is my call.
            The Aeros and Missy are both significantly ahead of other teams now in the PWHL. Actually Aeros are now ranked first in the PWHL percentage-wise at 91.2% vs 88.9% for Missy. Bluewater is next with 76.5%.

And if anyone is on a roll at the moment that would also be the Aeros, who have not lost a game since an OT loss back on Oct 6 (concidentally against Missy who came from behind to force OT). Missy's last loss was against SSM on Oct 16.

In the 6 games each team has played since the NAHA showcase, Aeros are a combined 33 GF and 4 GA, and 6-0-0. Missy has 24 GF and 6 GA in those next 6 games and a record of 5-0-1, having to scramble in the final minutes last week to earn a tie vs lowly Etobicoke which they preserved in OT.

Previously to the above noted loss over two months ago, Aeros had only lost three other games all year, versus Cambridge in league play (4th in PWHL), versus Laurier University (ranked #2 in Canada), and versus Missy in a shootout of the Fall Stoney final after a controversial call in which the Aeros winning goal was later waved off in OT. Ties have come against LA Selects and against #8 ranked Cornell who scored late in the 3rd. Other notable Aeros wins versus US competition have come versus #6 ranked Harvard, Brown, Mission (2x), Team Illinois, NAHA, LC & Polar Bears.

Similarly, Missy's only losses prior to their SSM loss were to London (tied for 9th in PWHL) in league play, and to Stoney Creek (5th in PWHL) in the final of the Union tourney. Rare ties have come against NAHA as well as 2 bottom-end PWHL teams in Brampton, Etobicoke who seem to have caught them by surprise. Notable Missy wins versus US teams include LA Selects (3x), LC (2x), Mission, Honeybaked, and Polar Bears.

Predicting the final of this tourney is difficult as the wonky format including an uneven schedule does not ensure the 2best teams on the respective sides of the border even make the final. Further, given the time of year and conflicts with exams for some tomorrow, plus the ACT test Saturday, its anyones guess which top players on which teams will be missing as was the case last year. I recall was Kessel missing for example, which no doubt affected their performance. I do know the Aeros will be missing a couple of their top end players, as I am sure will others as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Trillium View Post
              The Aeros and Missy are both significantly ahead of other teams now in the PWHL. Actually Aeros are now ranked first in the PWHL percentage-wise at 91.2% vs 88.9% for Missy. Bluewater is next with 76.5%.

And if anyone is on a roll at the moment that would also be the Aeros, who have not lost a game since an OT loss back on Oct 6 (concidentally against Missy who came from behind to force OT). Missy's last loss was against SSM on Oct 16.

In the 6 games each team has played since the NAHA showcase, Aeros are a combined 33 GF and 4 GA, and 6-0-0. Missy has 24 GF and 6 GA in those next 6 games and a record of 5-0-1, having to scramble in the final minutes last week to earn a tie vs lowly Etobicoke which they preserved in OT.

Previously to the above noted loss over two months ago, Aeros had only lost three other games all year, versus Cambridge in league play (4th in PWHL), versus Laurier University (ranked #2 in Canada), and versus Missy in a shootout of the Fall Stoney final after a controversial call in which the Aeros winning goal was later waved off in OT. Ties have come against LA Selects and against #8 ranked Cornell who scored late in the 3rd. Other notable Aeros wins versus US competition have come versus #6 ranked Harvard, Brown, Mission (2x), Team Illinois, NAHA, LC & Polar Bears.

Similarly, Missy's only losses prior to their SSM loss were to London (tied for 9th in PWHL) in league play, and to Stoney Creek (5th in PWHL) in the final of the Union tourney. Rare ties have come against NAHA as well as 2 bottom-end PWHL teams in Brampton, Etobicoke who seem to have caught them by surprise. Notable Missy wins versus US teams include LA Selects (3x), LC (2x), Mission, Honeybaked, and Polar Bears.

Predicting the final of this tourney is difficult as the wonky format including an uneven schedule does not ensure the 2best teams on the respective sides of the border even make the final. Further, given the time of year and conflicts with exams for some tomorrow, plus the ACT test Saturday, its anyones guess which top players on which teams will be missing as was the case last year. I recall was Kessel missing for example, which no doubt affected their performance. I do know the Aeros will be missing a couple of their top end players, as I am sure will others as well.
              While not trying to dispute your post, would like to make a couple of info add comments on some of your statements.

1 -While Etobicoke may seem Lowly to some based on their slow start in the PW, they are better than their record indicates. This is a team with no experience at all at the IAA level, however the core of this team won last year at MAA when it really counted at the end. Recently they made it to the final in the McGill tournament and took the top Quebec team Montpetit (that carries 10 U18 players from current or last year) to OT in the final. So I expect them to move up the PW ladder over second half of the year.
              2- While London may only be 9th in the PW, they did get to the Semi's in Stoney and played well there. So a second case of a team that may be stronger than their record indicates.

Having said all that, I'm on record on several occasions stating that
              1 - Missy and Aeros are the class of the PW
              2 - Bluewater is the other team to watch out for
              3 - Stoney is not as strong as last year
              3 - Sens are not gonna finish top 5 in the PW.

Comment

OnMAA, are you at this event? If so and you get a chance to see SSM play, can you rep me your thoughts on #2 on that team?

Comment

While not trying to dispute your post, would like to make a couple of info add comments on some of your statements.

1 -While Etobicoke may seem Lowly to some based on their slow start in the PW, they are better than their record indicates. This is a team with no experience at all at the IAA level, however the core of this team won last year at MAA when it really counted at the end. Recently they made it to the final in the McGill tournament and took the top Quebec team Montpetit (that carries 10 U18 players from current or last year) to OT in the final. So I expect them to move up the PW ladder over second half of the year.
                  2- While London may only be 9th in the PW, they did get to the Semi's in Stoney and played well there. So a second case of a team that may be stronger than their record indicates.

Having said all that, I'm on record on several occasions stating that
                  1 - Missy and Aeros are the class of the PW
                  2 - Bluewater is the other team to watch out for
                  3 - Stoney is not as strong as last year
                  3 - Sens are not gonna finish top 5 in the PW.
                  I have seen all of the PWHL teams play, most of them at least a couple of times, so I am familiar with their comparative caliber.

Re: London, I agree they did do surprisingly well early in the season. It is not atypical that some teams do very well early, as many are on the ice and in dryland together all summer...while others only start after Labour Day. So success in Sept/Oct is not always telling. London has had a difficult first half schedule it is true, but this team is still actually about where it will end placement-wise this season. They are not better than any of the teams above them currently. Missy is actually the only team above them in the standings that they have beaten, and they have lost to bottom-end teams Brampton and Burlington as well.

Re:Etobicoke. I agree that this team will rise a little in the standings, although they will still finish the season no higher than 13th-14th. They are an exceptionally hard-working team that moves the puck well, and plays good positional hockey despite lacking the talent, depth and speed of the top 10. So if these teams don't bring their "A" game, look out.

Bluewater has actually really disappointed me this season--I thought they would be much stronger than they have shown to-date...not sure if it's due to too much youth and inexperience, or lack of size, or what, but they do not play as tough as they should on paper.

Comment

Dec 11 early results

U19: Four of six games went into OT
                    Home .vs. Visitor Score
                    LA .vs. Chicago 2-2 OT
                    SSM .vs. Ohio 6-1
                    LC .vs. NAHA-W 1-2 OT
                    LA .vs. Ohio 1-0 OT
                    Chicago .vs. LC 1-4
                    NAHA-W .vs. SSM 4-5 OT

U16:
                    Home .vs. Visitor Score
                    SSM .vs. Chicago 5-2
                    LC .vs. NAHA-R 1-0
                    NAHA-R .vs. SSM 0-0 OT
                    Chicago .vs. LC 1-3
                    First Round of games in the books:

Split in U16 for series points 2-2, 3-2-1 for the US in U19.

Div Home .vs. Visitor Score
                    M/U16 SSM .vs. Ottawa 3-1
                    M/U16 LC .vs. Toronto 0-3
                    M/U16 Chicago .vs. Brampton 0-2
                    M/U16 NAHA-R .vs. Stoney 4-2

JR/U19 SSM .vs. Toronto 1-1 OT (Sounds a a titanic battle)
                    JR/U19 Chicago .vs. Durham 3-2
                    JR/U19 Ohio .vs. Ottawa 1-2
                    JR/U19 LC .vs. Missy 3-2 (Trillium closer to the mark than me)
                    JR/U19 NAHA-W .vs. Stoney 1-2
                    JR/U19 LA .vs. Bluewater 2-1

Interesting to note that there were two big HTH matchups right of the bat....Aeros-SSM and LC-Missy.

Comment

Well ONMaa you got 1 out of 4--no match for your ECAC record

Final is SSM-Aeros, with Stoney Creek-LA Selects for Bronze. Interestingly, these are both rematches of today's RR games which ended in OT ties.

Other last day match-ups Mission-Ottawa (3rd in respective pools), Missy-Ohio (4th in pools), Bluewater-LC (5th in pools) and NAHA White-Durham (6th).

Here were records for each team:

Canadian Teams:
                      1) Aeros 2-0-1 5 pts 1GA (Won v Mission, Ohio; Tied SSM)
                      2) Stoney 2-0-1 5 pts 2 GA (Won v LC, NAHA; Tied LA)
                      3) Ottawa 2-1-0 4 pts 2 GA (Won v Mission, Ohio;Loss SSM
                      4) Missy 2-1-0 4 pts 4 GA (Won v NAHA, LA; Loss to LC)
                      5) Bluewater 2-1-0 4 pts 5 GA (Won v NAHA, LC; Loss LA)
                      6) Durham 0-3-0 0 pts 10 GA (Lost to Mission, SSM, Ohio)

US Teams:
                      1) SSM 2-0-1 5 pts 1 GA (Won v Ott, Durham; Tied Aeros)
                      2) LA 1-1-1 3 pts 6 GA (Won v Blue, Tie v SC, Loss v Miss)
                      3) Mission 1-2-0 2 pts 5 GA (Won v Dur;Loss v Aeros &Ott)
                      4) Ohio 1-2-0 2 pts 7 GA (Won v Dur; Loss v Aeros & Ott)
                      5) LC 1-2-0 2 pts 11 GA (Won v Missy; Loss v Blue & SC)
                      6) NAHA 0-3-0 0 pts 10 GA (Loss v SC, Missy & BLuewater)

Comment

Originally posted by Trillium View Post
                        Well ONMaa you got 1 out of 4--no match for your ECAC record

Final is SSM-Aeros, with Stoney Creek-LA Selects for Bronze. Interestingly, these are both rematches of today's RR games which ended in OT ties.

Other last day match-ups Mission-Ottawa (3rd in respective pools), Missy-Ohio (4th in pools), Bluewater-LC (5th in pools) and NAHA White-Durham (6th).
                        Trillium...I humbly salute you on your fabulous predictions. Aeros won gold at U19 over SSM.....I'll admit defeat in the prediction contest.

Congrats to the Aeros, an impressive weekend for them.

Comment

Trillium...I humbly salute you on your fabulous predictions. Aeros won gold at U19 over SSM.....I'll admit defeat in the prediction contest.

Congrats to the Aeros, an impressive weekend for them.
                          Actually I didn't predict anything, only that the final 4 were unpredictable because of the format.

Yes the Aeros did do very well this weekend....only one total goal against over 4 games is extremely hard to do against that level of competition.

Aeros won the U19 title very early this morning (7:45 to be exact ), shutting out SSM 3-0. Its a shame more games of this kind are not possible. The score certainly did not reflect the game as the shots and chances were quite even. SSM are a great team--I would say the best in the US, at least that played in any of these events-- and this rematch was a great back and forth game with very few solid scoring chances given up for either. Aeros went in front early after capitalizing on their chances and finished the first period up 2-0, adding a PP marker in the 2nd. However, there were many tense moments as the Aeros also gave up a couple of breakaways to Amanda Kessel, in addition to having to successfully kill 7 penalties, and on many occasions the Aeros Nicole Paniccia came up huge in goal. A number of additional penalties were dished out at the end of the game to each team as tempers flared at the buzzer initiated by a CFB major penalty to Kessel, although the game itself was not particularly dirty IMHO, just the kind of good physical hockey between two top teams that many refs will let go (just not this one!).

MVPS were awarded to Kessel for SSM, and Paniccia for Aeros, (riding high after newly becoming a surprise addition to fulfill UConn's Christmas Wish List )

Stoney Creek won U19 Bronze late in OT over LA Selects.

Canada (the PWHL teams) won the aggregate U19 cup challenge for 2009 over the three events, and three different Canadian teams won the event titles .

In the U16 gold medal match played simultaneously with the U19's next door, the younger SSM took the title from the younger Aeros squad, winning 2-0 including an empty-netter.

There were a large number of scouts in attendance for this event, perhaps double that in Rochester last month, including several head coaches.

For most perhaps the best highlight of the weekend was that players from all teams got the opportunity to rub shoulders and get autographs from Mario Lemieux and Phil Kessel, who were ensconsed in the bar/restaurant upstairs for the day between games.
                          Last edited by Trillium; 12-12-2009, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X