11 Curry                      7-0-1    96    12
    12 Wis.-Superior              7-3-1    88     9
    13 Hamline                    6-1-2    65    15
    14 Williams                   5-0-1    63    NR
    15 Salem State                5-1-1    45    NR

Others Receiving Votes: Gustavus Adolphus 19,
    Wentworth 19, Amherst 5, New England College 2,
    Hobart 1

The USCHO.com Poll is compiled weekly and consists of 20 voters, including 15 coaches of Division III programs and five men's hockey writers. USCHO.com provides in-depth coverage of college sports, including hockey, lacrosse, soccer and others.
    “You drive by some of these rinks in the winter and there isn't anybody out there. It's kind of sad, actually...Here it’s go to the rink, pay for your ice time and practice for an hour where we could just walk to the rink and skate for four hours if we wanted to...It was just a lot of fun. I wish I could go back and be eight years old for a couple days" -Neal Broten

2010-11 DIII Commitments
    19gp, (23-24-47), +27

Re: Dec. 7 Men's DIII Poll

I would have thought that Norwich would have jumped to #2.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      Not when five voters STILL have Platty as their number one.
      Oswego'08, '10

From the shores of Lake Ontario to the island of Hilton Head...

2011-2012 SUNYAC Pick 'Em Champion!
      2011-2012 D3FHL Overall Points Champs!

Comment

Im not going to complain too much here with Bowdoin getting into the top 10 but how does Midd gain votes after a tie at home against a 1-4 team and then a win at home against possibly the worst team in D2/3?
        Go Polar Bears Plaaaay Hockey!

Comment

Originally posted by Ozz View Post
          Those are the 5 voters who knows that the team that consistently outplays its opponents, will in the end, be #1 (even if they do need to be taught a lesson or two)
          Larry Normandin
          SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
          WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

They were the better team on the ice when they tied Potsdam, apparently.
            2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
            2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
            2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
            2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by polarbearfan View Post
              Im not going to complain too much here with Bowdoin getting into the top 10 but how does Midd gain votes after a tie at home against a 1-4 team and then a win at home against possibly the worst team in D2/3?
              Reflexive voting based on national championships of yesteryear . .

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                They were the better team on the ice when they tied Potsdam, apparently.
                SUNYAC the toughest conference out there
                Larry Normandin
                SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
                WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  I thought they should have been lower than they were last week, and MIGHT be worthy of a 5 or 6 this week. They still only have half the games as any other top-5 team.
                  Go 'Wick!

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
                    Those are the 5 voters who knows that the team that consistently outplays its opponents, will in the end, be #1 (even if they do need to be taught a lesson or two)
                    I didn't realize the polls were a prediction of the end of the year...I thought it was an analysis of the year thus far
                    Oswego'08, '10

From the shores of Lake Ontario to the island of Hilton Head...

2011-2012 SUNYAC Pick 'Em Champion!
                    2011-2012 D3FHL Overall Points Champs!

Comment

Originally posted by polarbearfan View Post
                      Beats me. I still have Middlebury low in my poll.
                      Russell Jaslow
                      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by jerrynu26 View Post
                        I thought they should have been lower than they were last week, and MIGHT be worthy of a 5 or 6 this week. They still only have half the games as any other top-5 team.
                        I moved Norwich up in my poll. The fact is, they shutout two teams (albeit weak ones) after coming off a strong Primelink weekend and St. Norbert split (albeit against a good team) after coming off a poor T-day weekend.

I don't have an issue with how many games a team plays. I only have an issue when a team hasn't played any games, yet.

I wouldn't have an issue with not moving Norwich up, but I don't see how they could move down, especially when you need to consider who deserves to move above them.

[I also have Salem State way higher than anyone else seems to like them at.]
                        Last edited by Russell Jaslow; 12-07-2009, 03:12 PM.
                        Russell Jaslow
                        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

I didn't realize the polls were a prediction of the end of the year...I thought it was an analysis of the year thus far
                          Agreed. Obviously, the poll requires pure "projection" for its preseason iteration, and at least a little bit for the first couple of weeks (say, pre-Interlock), but at this stage of the season I don't see the point in treating it like a futures market. If it were a little less frequent, I could see the need for a more predictive stance, but something that turns over on a weekly basis might as well reflect the reality as of that week. If Plattsburgh is a #1 team, give them the votes when they start posting the wins to back it up, rather than assuming that upturn weeks or months in advance.
                          Go Cards: win or lose, The Better Team.
                          A Lot of (Sometimes Tainted) SUNYAC Championships
                          A Handful of ECAC West Championships
                          A Number of NCAA Appearances, Including Several Trips to the Final Four, Though Some of Them Don't Count
                          Some National Championships:
                          Women's (THIS YEAR, LAST YEAR, A Couple Years Back, '08, '07)
                          Men's (Wow Look at the Time Pass, A While before That)

Comment

Nah...how about not always how the whole season has been thus far but how the teams are playing up to that particular poll...then again...Potsdam should be getting votes for coming back and tying Plattsburgh (2) in less the 20 minutes of hockey.

Looking way ahead if this was the poll going into January 7th...if Adrian were to lose a game, do they drop? Furthermore, if Adrian beats Oswego do they get all first place votes and/or will Oswego drop below Plattsburgh just because?

Nice to be "number 1" but then again with three games this week its going to be difficult with that on their backs.

Comment

Ahh, yes... the (sort of) weekly in-season ritual that can be broken down into 12 simple steps once the poll is posted....

1) Someone complains about _______ being ranked too high
                              2) Someone complains about _______ being ranked too low
                              3) Someone asks the posters of #1 and #2 above, "who should move (up/down) then?"
                              4) A voter comes out and says he voted _____ (higher / lower) than final tally
                              5) Someone denounces these polls, as they are flawed and useless anyways
                              6) Someone says though these polls are flawed and just for fun, they're better than the selection committee
                              7) Someone says that these should be based on quantitative on-ice performance (records), and not qualitative traits like "how they looked against ____"
                              8) Someone posts satirically proving that (insert bottom feeder here) > (insert top 5 team here)
                              9) Someone brings up how ____ gets votes based on reputation / past seasons
                              10) Someone denounces the mentality of voters who contribute to #9 above
                              11) Someone talks about how ____ (early season: "hasn't played any games" / "hasn't played enough games;" late season: "has a weak schedule")
                              12) Someone brings up "the big picture" and says how he/she enjoys the discussion that the polls generate

Any corrections / modifications to this process are welcome.

Comment

Working...
                              X