Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NCHA: Still the Unquestioned Best Conference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCHA: Still the Unquestioned Best Conference?

This was something I had rolling around in my brain and I didn't really know where to post it so I figured I'd start a new thread.

There are a couple of reasons I have even begun to think it's even possible to have a discussion where there are two opposing viewpoints on the matter. One is Stout's abysmal showing in the Primelink which is supposed to be the cream of the crop when it comes to holiday tournaments featuring 3 of the best eastern programs there are. Outside of those two NC games, Stout beat two teams whose combined record is 5-17-2 (St. Thomas/Mary's) to give them a .500 record in NC games.

1st place right now in the NCHA belongs to perennial power St. Norbert. You could, IMO, argue that thaeir out of conference record isn't that impressive either. They have a loss to a tough eastern opponent (Sal. State) and a tie to, arguably, the best team in the MIAC (Hamline). Their NC record is 3-1-1 which isn't bad, however their wins have come against Lake Forest, Bethel and Lawrence (a 2-1 nail biter over the latter) whose combined record is 13-17.

I figured since St. Norbert is currently in first place in the NCHA and since Stout won it last year and made it all the way to Placid, it's possible those points could give way to a possible debate.

Without going into the Poll Predictions too much (since I'm sure there will be a thread up later in the day) I know that there are currently 4 teams in the poll, however St. Norbert is the only one in the top 5. It's possible they could drop out with Adrian, Norwich, and Elmira all going 2-0 on the weekend in rather convincing fashion for the most part. And who knows if Superior will stick around in the top 10 after a split on the weekend?

Lastly, if I'm not mistaken, the NCHA plays most of their out of conference games against the MIAC; a conference whose collective record is 39-45-13 (91 out of a possible 194 points if my math is correct). So despite the overall out of conference record being well above .500, is that only because they've played inferior competition? It's also important to note that the NCHA is 1-3-1 against the two best teams in the MIAC- Hamline and Gustavus Adolphus

I'll add a disclaimer and say that I do believe that the NCHA is still the best conference in D-III (without having ever seen one of the teams play). My only question is do we continue to take it as the "God's Honest Truth"? It certainly helps that the ECAC-W appears to be down this year, but is that the case for the NCHA as well? Is it more than just possible, for the sake of being possible, that the conference will decline down the road?

What do you all think?
    Oswego State Great Lakers: 2007 National Champions
    08-09 WTOP 10 Sports Director
    2/20/2009: First Ever Laker Hockey Webcast

Re: NCHA: Still the Unquestioned Best Conference?

Originally posted by nysportsfan29 View Post
    What do you all think?
    I think there's going to be a bench clearing brawl.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

I'm not sure anyone ever thought it was the "God's Honest Truth".

I've contended for the past five years that it's without a question the deepest conference in the nation, but that is a separate entity from whether or not is has multiple teams that could be considered elite, and perhaps therefore the "best" - whatever exactly that might even mean. The NCHA's boon is those teams in the 4-7 spots so while it is deep, it's relative conference strength is impossible to determine without a legitimate sample size of games between teams from different regions.

No, the NCHA is not going to decline. It's getting better.

Anything beyond that is ****ing into the wind and a waste of time.
      “You drive by some of these rinks in the winter and there isn't anybody out there. It's kind of sad, actually...Here it’s go to the rink, pay for your ice time and practice for an hour where we could just walk to the rink and skate for four hours if we wanted to...It was just a lot of fun. I wish I could go back and be eight years old for a couple days" -Neal Broten

2010-11 DIII Commitments
      19gp, (23-24-47), +27

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
        {sigh}

Though at the rate DQ's are piling up in the NCHA it would be rather fitting.
        Last edited by Matthew Webb; 12-07-2009, 09:01 AM.
        “You drive by some of these rinks in the winter and there isn't anybody out there. It's kind of sad, actually...Here it’s go to the rink, pay for your ice time and practice for an hour where we could just walk to the rink and skate for four hours if we wanted to...It was just a lot of fun. I wish I could go back and be eight years old for a couple days" -Neal Broten

2010-11 DIII Commitments
        19gp, (23-24-47), +27

Comment

Really? Apparently this has never happened out east.....
          'JACKET HOCKEY
          NCAA Champions: 2002
          NCAA Frozen Four: 1992, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002
          NCHA Playoff Champions: 1994, 1997, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2006
          NCHA Champions: 1994, 2001, 2009
          WIAC Champions: 1992, 1994, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2009
          NAIA NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: 1976
          It's time to show the world what 'Jacket Hockey really is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          http://jackethockey.proboards75.com/index.cgi

Comment

....ducking.....

W H O O S H
            Go 'Wick!

Comment

I've heard from a few sources that the NCHA is very good......but for some reason I haven't had a chance to see an NCHA team play yet.

I

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernLite View Post
                I've heard from a few sources that the NCHA is very good......but for some reason I haven't had a chance to see an NCHA team play yet.

I

don't get out much?
                The U.P. should be the 27th star on Old Glory.

Comment

As of right now, I think it is unquestioned, or at least it is the most competitive, and I realize best and most competitive are not the same thing.

The poll has the NCHA as the most competitive conference after someone voted for the ECAC-East.

Comment

I think other conferences have one or maybe two contenders and the rest of the teams are weak but in the NCHA the quality is deeper with only a team or two being weak. The depth is in this league.

Comment

Originally posted by jacketfan_2002 View Post
                      Really? Apparently this has never happened out east.....
                      Apparently, my comment flew right over your head...
                      Russell Jaslow

Comment

so nobody thinks that SUNYAC is a strong conferece ???

Comment

Originally posted by cmaulding View Post
                          so nobody thinks that SUNYAC is a strong conferece ???
                          Nobody cares.

Or, let me put it another way, this debate is endless, proves nothing, and never can come to a conclusion.

Ergo, my bench clearing brawl comment.
                          Russell Jaslow

Comment

Nobody cares.

Or, let me put it another way, this debate is endless, proves nothing, and never can come to a conclusion.

Ergo, my bench clearing brawl comment.
                            I completely agree i was just adding fuel to the fire or instgating the fight either way .

Comment

Originally posted by cmaulding View Post
                              I completely agree i was just adding fuel to the fire or instgating the fight either way .
                              That means you get an extra two minutes for instigating.
                              Russell Jaslow

Comment

Working...
                              X