Princeton @ Lowell - Dec. 11-12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Princeton @ Lowell - Dec. 11-12

Lowell enters the last pre-break weekend having lost a tough 2-1 game at UNH, then rebounding well in a 5-3 victory over UMass on Saturday.

Princeton come in having lost 5 straight.

From a River Hawks perspective, it was good to see Lowell play with some fire after three straight losses. The goals that had become so elusive were plentiful against a solid Minutemen team, and the defense is sure to get a boost from the rumored return of Barry Goers.

What should we expect from the Tigers, Princeton fans?
    Lowell Forever
    Forever Lowell

Re: Princeton @ Lowell - Dec. 11-12

lowell to win by five on aggregate

Comment

Looking at the season so far for Princeton, they've been having some problem scoring goals. They're averaging just over 2 goals per game, and have scored three total in their last three games. On the other hand, they're giving up about 3.4 goals per game. Their senior goalie has a 3.57 GAA, and a 89.1% save rate, while the junior goalie (Reynolds) has a 91.3% rate, and a 2.72 GAA. Senior Dan Bartlett leads their team with 9 points (5 goals) in 11 games and there's only 3 players on the team averaging even half a point a game (UML has 10 in that range).
      Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
      2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
      2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
      2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
      2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

I thought I saw on the scoreboard during the UMass game that they moved this Saturday's game to 4PM. Did I see read that correctly?

That will work out great for me as I have a Christmas Party in Hampton, NH Saturday night that I must attend.
        Let's go Lowell.

Comment

Originally posted by Gainzo View Post
          I thought I saw on the scoreboard during the UMass game that they moved this Saturday's game to 4PM. Did I see read that correctly?

That will work out great for me as I have a Christmas Party in Hampton, NH Saturday night that I must attend.
          It's always been 4pm. The holiday skate is right after the game.
          Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
          "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Are there any Princeton fans here?
            Monty

2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
            2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Not too many Tiger fans on this board. Especially with the way this season has started.

So, the thing is that something just isn't right. It's a team comprised of mainly junior and seniors that have played in the last two NCAA tournaments, yet are struggling this season. Scoring has been an issue. I've seen a few games and the team will just dominate a period, yet not be able to put the puck away. Then a chance will go the other way, end up in the back of the net, and momentum will change and that's it.

By no means is that a knock on the goalies either. I saw them play Colgate and each goal the Raiders scored was prettier than the one before, no real fault of the goalies. Kalemba, the senior goalie, was the ECAC Player of the Year last year and was a Hobey Baker candidate.

My guess is that the weekend will favor UML. As a Tiger fan, I'll hope for a split. My feeling is that this team will get it together eventually and there is a lot of season to go. I wonder though if it needs the holiday break that will follow this series to do that.

As for style, Princeton goes up and down the ice and takes chances offensively, which will result in chances going the other way. It's the kind of style where you need to put the puck away when you get scoring chances and that hasn't really been happening.

Any others questions, ask away...

Comment

Thanks for the info!
                Originally posted by rodney View Post
                So, the thing is that something just isn't right. It's a team comprised of mainly junior and seniors that have played in the last two NCAA tournaments, yet are struggling this season. Scoring has been an issue. I've seen a few games and the team will just dominate a period, yet not be able to put the puck away. Then a chance will go the other way, end up in the back of the net, and momentum will change and that's it.
                Oh yeah ... Lowell fans know how that feels over the past few years.
                My guess is that the weekend will favor UML. As a Tiger fan, I'll hope for a split. My feeling is that this team will get it together eventually and there is a lot of season to go. I wonder though if it needs the holiday break that will follow this series to do that.
                I hope you do get it together. After the break.
                As for style, Princeton goes up and down the ice and takes chances offensively, which will result in chances going the other way. It's the kind of style where you need to put the puck away when you get scoring chances and that hasn't really been happening.
                I didn't see the Lowell game against Providence (a 4-2 loss on the road), but that's how a couple of people described PC's game, and Lowell didn't play well in response that game.
                Monty

Comment

Anyone know if Lowell is making the trip to Princeton next year for a weekend series?
                  UMASS LOWELL RIVER HAWKS HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by jrobes01 View Post
                    Anyone know if Lowell is making the trip to Princeton next year for a weekend series?
                    My assumption would be yes, or if not next year, the year after that. Princeton doesn't usually play teams that won't return the trip, unless it's a tournament.

Comment

Princeton has struggled early in this season for reasons that seem hard to figure out. They will outskate opponents but end up not putting the puck in the net and in a few games, have taken alot of penalties, some really stupid ones that come from being half a step behind their opponents. Senior goaler Zane Kalemba has been left hung out to dry on many occasions when it seemed that the Princeton defense figured that they didn't really have to play much D when a last year's Hobey Baker top ten prospect was between the pipes. That said, it also feels like last year's Zane Kalemba may have made a few more stops. I watched them play Quinniapiac in Hamden and they were pretty even in the first period, but they fell apart in the second when they had 5 unanswered goals scored on them, and then tightened up in the third and scored their lone goal. They are having a bad stretch and I hope that Guy Gadowsky can figure out a way get a handle on this or it is going to be a long season until March.

Comment

On the UML radio show last night Guy Gadowsky mentioned that health has been a big issue for Tigers so far this season.

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                          On the UML radio show last night Guy Gadowsky mentioned that health has been a big issue for Tigers so far this season.
                          Yeah, they had a few guys have surgery in the offseason that won't be ready till mid-year. As a result, there really has been no depth, so as a few injuries have come up, it has put them in a position where they have no healthy scratches are somewhat limited in what they can do from a lineup standpoint. They have dressed seven defensemen several times this season.

Comment

I wasn't aware of the surgeries/injuries until right now. Rodney, have you any idea which players those are? I haven't noticed any conspicuous absences on the ice, but I also haven't been looking for them, so they might have flown under my radar.

It doesn't really change my comment or the situation though. I will be shocked if Lowell doesn't win both games this weekend. It seems like Princeton is going to struggle at least until these players get off the injured list.
                            MAKE HOBEY PROUD!

"If there really is a hoop heaven, the house band would be Princeton's, troubadours in straw hats who played the theme from "Underdog" late in the Tigers' victory."
                            - Sports Illustrated 3/25/96
                            "We have 7 national championships. Who's ever heard of you guys?"
                            -Drunk NoDak Fan at 2008 Midwest Regional

Comment

Referee:.......................................... ..................Kevin Shea
                              Referee:.......................................... ..................Tom Quinn
                              Linesman: .................................................. ..Paul Scleparis
                              Linesman:......................................... ......Christopher Millea
                              Gary

www.umlhockey.com
                              Unofficial Home of Lowell Hockey

182nd member to 2,000 posts
                              "It's like putting lipstick on a pig." Chris MacKenzie says, speaking of the fresh paint on the visiting locker room at Alfond.
                              KnowItAll: "I have little respect for the imagination and creativity of a person who can only think of ONE way to spell a word."

Comment

Working...
                              X