I believe this deserves its own thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I believe this deserves its own thread

As I was double-checking the stats for this week's POTW nominees (thus far nominated), I was reminded of This article:

Niagara scored three shorthanded goals on the same penalty kill in topping Canisius before a sell-out crowd of 2,100 at Dwyer Arena.

Niagara scored all three shorties in the second period after Derek Foam was whistled for interference at the 11:55 mark. Sam Goodwin converted on a 2-on-1 with Danny Baco just 27 seconds into the penalty kill. Then 30 seconds later, Mironov scored on a breakaway and Dan Sullivan’s point shot 36 ticks later finished the trifecta.

Niagara’s shorthanded output was the 12th time in NCAA history a team scored three shorthanded goals in a single game and also the second time that it happened during the 2008-2009 season. It is the second time that three shorthanded goals were scored on the same minor penalty kill, something that Burkholder was excited about.
    My question, then, is... Is this the first-ever Shorthanded Hat Trick on one 2-minute minor penalty? If so, I say give the man the DII/III Frontpage! Heck, this might even deserve the DI frontpage!

EDIT: Man, I wish I could read... he scored 2 on one penalty, and one on the next a minute later. Still impressive.
    Last edited by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh; 12-06-2009, 12:13 PM.
    Plattsburgh CARDINALS
    SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
    ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
    NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
    NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
    NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
    NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Re: I believe this deserves its own thread

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
    As I was double-checking the stats for this week's POTW nominees (thus far nominated), I was reminded of This article:

My question, then, is... Is this the first-ever Shorthanded Hat Trick on one 2-minute minor penalty? If so, I say give the man the DII/III Frontpage! Heck, this might even deserve the DI frontpage!

EDIT: Man, I wish I could read... he scored 2 on one penalty, and one on the next a minute later. Still impressive.
    Well, I certainly will be talking about this in my column this week.

I remember that Niagara achievement when you brought that up. But, I am trying to find out if a single player ever scored three shorthanded goals in a game. And it was a natural hat trick, too (let's not get into the particulars on the real definition of a natural hat trick...).
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
      But, I am trying to find out if a single player ever scored three shorthanded goals in a game. And it was a natural hat trick, too (let's not get into the particulars on the real definition of a natural hat trick...).
      From the same article about Niagara:

The last time three shorthanded goals occurred on the same penalty kill was in 1988, when Harvard’s C.J. Young netted all three himself in 49 seconds at the end of the second period and during the start of the third.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        From the same article about Niagara:
        And on the same penalty, too, which outdoes Musselwhite. Amazing.

But, I'll still give Musselwhite his due.
        Russell Jaslow
        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

But, I am trying to find out if a single player ever scored three shorthanded goals in a game. And it was a natural hat trick, too (let's not get into the particulars on the real definition of a natural hat trick...).
          ******* width="500" height="405">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NTNHXemHoqY&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6&border=1">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NTNHXemHoqY&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405">
          Voice of the Lakers, 2007-2009
          Follow me on Twitter
          The VOTL.com
          Chairman Hows Glorious Army

Comment

According to numerous websites, C.J. Young also pulled off the feat in 1988 for Harvard - in 49 seconds! All three shorthanded natural hat tricks (Young in '88, Harrison in '08, Musselwhite in '09) came over the course of two periods. Some would say that isn't a natural hat trick, but like Russell said, we won't get into that. Musselwhite's feat appears to be a first for D3 hockey. I believe this is also the seventh SH hat trick in NCAA history.

EDIT: It's the 8th SH hat trick in NCAA history. Mike Gurtler of Mercyhurst (Go Lakers!) scored three shorties a couple of weeks ago against Holy Cross. BOX
            Last edited by Ryan Maloney; 12-06-2009, 02:39 PM.
            Voice of the Lakers, 2007-2009
            Follow me on Twitter
            The VOTL.com
            Chairman Hows Glorious Army

Comment

I saw Andy Wheeler of Wisconsin get 2 in about 30 seconds maybe 10 years ago and that was impressive. Three in 49 seconds is crazy good.
              Still No Championships - R.I.P. 3/23/2008

"It's a great day to be great!" Greg Jennings 2/6/11

"I don't step on toes, LittleJohn, I step on necks!" - C. Norris

I've got the fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.

2008 D3 Poster of the Year
              2007 D3 Tournament of Posters Champion
              2005-2006 D3 Rookie Poster of the Year
              Boycotting that steaming pantload Relevant Radio since 10/25/06!

Comment

Working...
              X