Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowdoin Colby

What should we expect?
    I am going for the Polar Bears, of course.

Re: Bowdoin Colby

For the first time in a while I think it is safe to say we can expect good goaltending in this one. McKinney and Nerland both pitched shutouts this past weekend and Nerland was an own goal away from back to back SHOs.

I haven't seen Colby yet this year but they don't seem to have a lot of offensive weapons besides Hartigan. Bowdoin on the other hand has a few in Weiniger who is coming off a 3-3-6 weekend including a Hatty against Castleton and Hardy who went 2-1-3 last weekend. It will be interesting to see if Rossi gets a start this weekend coming off an injury. He was playing very well before getting injured. If he is healthy I wouldn't be surprised if he and Nerland split the weekend with Rossi getting the start at home as a senior in the non conference game.

When it comes down to it though, anything can happen in this great rivalry!
    Go Polar Bears Plaaaay Hockey!

Comment

Should be some great games this weekend, as they always are when the two skate against each other. While Hartigan is Colby's points leader (4-4-8 in 6 games), the Mules do have six players with over five points on the season. Tortorella is starting three freshman forwards on the first line, even though Crinnion and Hartigan are not among them. This year's squad seems much deeper than in the past couple of years, with multiple lines that can put the puck in the net. My main concern is putting too much pressure on McKinney in net. The two goals against Skidmore both came on defensive lapses (one allowed a 2 on 1 play, the other a wide-open shot between the circles that Skidmore was able to put into the top corner). The key to these games for Colby will be capitalizing on power plays (the Mules have a very strong unit this year) and avoiding defensive miscues in the neutral zone.

Comment

Expect a packed house, and rowdy Colby fans. There was a sizable & loud turnout of students this past Friday night v. Castleton St., a good sign for such a lackluster game.

There was definitely a lack of enthusiasm at Colby games last year, but with an improved team that's won 4 straight games, 3 of those at home, I think interest has picked back up on campus.

In terms of Colby's play, they've looked good both on the PP and the PK. They're still making mental mistakes, however, I believe both Skidmore goals started with turnovers in the neutral zone. Cody McKinney has also given up his fair share of dangerous rebounds, which could be trouble when Colby plays a strong offensive team (i.e. Bowdoin).

On a side note: Michael Doherty had a beautiful breakaway goal to win the game versus Skidmore. The 2nd line of Crinnion-Belliveau-Doherty is in it's 2nd year of playing together, and can produce along with the all-freshman 1st line (Kondiles-McGrath-Smigelski).
        Mule train, yeah, yeah!

Comment

Bowdoin fans have been a little lackluster early in the season. That being said, there was an article in the school newspaper about a bus going up to Waterville on Friday night. For Saturday, the team is trying to organize a 'White Out'. The new rink is a lot more open than the old Dayton Arena, so it will be interesting to see how loud it can get at 'The Sid'.

Comment

Colby needs to watch the turnovers, especially in front of the net. I watched the Skidmore game and the second goal was a 2 on 0 while Colby had the power play and then they gave up another breakaway late in the third. McKinney is playing outsanding, and has only given up 11 goals in the last five games. As far as rebounds, when you turn the puck over at the hash marks for a slap shot, any goalie would be lucky to make the save let alone worry about the rebound. It' going to be a great game both team will step it up.

Comment

First of all, Bowdoin is doing an awesome job broadcasting the home games on-line this season. The picture quality is much improved over past seasons, the kids calling the games are doing great (they always do), and making the video available the next day is a very good idea. All of this is great for the program. I know I speak for more fans than just myself when I say thank you to everyone involved. Just wanted to write that somewhere.

The crowd looked smaller last Friday than in home-openers past. Is that just because the new rink is bigger, or did fewer people come out?

I haven't seen Colby play but from the looks of the games last weekend, Bowdoin is clicking pretty well for this point in the season. Should be fun to watch

Comment

Agreed on the excellent job the students have done webcasting the games this year. Tonights women's Bowdoin Colby game and the men's game on Saturday can be seen here:

http://www.bowdoin.edu/video/athletics-live.shtml

It also appears like there is a full screen option finally so you don't have to strain your eyes looking at a video the size of a matchbook.

Does anyone know if there will be video, audio or live stats for the game tonight at Colby?

EDIT: The men's game at Colby can be seen here:
                http://d3cast.com/
                Last edited by polarbearfan; 12-11-2009, 12:33 PM. Reason: new info

Comment

Working...
                X