X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Brown - Oops! They did it again.

[QUOTE=Brown Parent;4627380]
    Originally posted by ccookie79 View Post

Not in denial, I simply do not know the details but I can see the negative affect on the team. As a parent of a player that graduated several years ago, I quietly buy a ticket, sit down and watch the game.
    My bad! In post #260, you identified yourself as a parent. A bit misleading, wouldn't you say? You identified yourself as 1 of the 2..... ccookie79 being the other one. So which statement is true? Oh, that's right you don't answer direct questions.

You know, Parent, I applaud your loyalty to the team, but as a supporter of Brown generally, shouldn't you be concerned with the way their treating the players?

Comment

fan007 wrote:

My bad! In post #260, you identified yourself as a parent. A bit misleading, wouldn't you say? You identified yourself as 1 of the 2..... ccookie79 being the other one. So which statement is true? Oh, that's right you don't answer direct questions.

You know, Parent, I applaud your loyalty to the team, but as a supporter of Brown generally, shouldn't you be concerned with the way their treating the players?

fan007,
      Nothing misleading about it, I think it is appropriate to refer to myself as a Brown parent considering that I am still alive and footing the bill of my daughter's Ivy education. As to the second question, I am concerned about the direction of the program and have addressed my concerns with the AD. Have you?
      Last edited by Brown Parent; 02-14-2010, 01:31 PM. Reason: untangling a fly-fishing reel

Comment

[QUOTE=Brown Parent;4627459]
        Originally posted by fan007 View Post

Nothing misleading about it, I think it is appropriate to refer to myself as a Brown parent considering that I am still alive and footing the bill of an Ivy education. As to the second question, I am concerned about the direction of the program and have addressed my concerns with the AD. Have you?
        How much does it cost?

Comment

CanHockGuy wrote:

How much does it cost?

CanHockGuy,
          Sadly for my bank account, more than my first home.
          Last edited by Brown Parent; 02-14-2010, 01:32 PM. Reason: untangling a fly-fishing reel

Comment

[QUOTE=Brown Parent;4627537]
            Originally posted by CanHockGuy View Post

Sadly for my bank account, more than my first home.
            What I meant was, how much of the mental part.

Comment

[QUOTE=fan007;4627226]
              Originally posted by Brown Parent View Post

If you were truly a parent, then you and I both know you have the answer but are refusing to post it. 2 more questions, parent:

1) Where in the world is Carmen Coady? You'd think he'd at least show up for the senior festivities, don't ya think! He's been MIA for 3 weeks, what's up with that?

2) How did your daughter feel last year when she was bypassed for captain after Digit chose a sophomore and a junior. This year, she was bypassed again as Digit apparently didn't pick captains this year [how'd I miss that one?]

That shows complete disrespect. Someone on this thread wrote that if they were coach, the first thing they'd do was show some respect for the players. I'd say that'd be a good start. I don't think there's a college team in the country that doesn't have a captain. Only in Digit's world......
              You should join 5 4 fighting and take a program and hit yourself in the head too. You're missing the obvious - on purpose, methinks! I hope you're a better example to your daughter - stand up for yourself!
              Having read a number of your posts, I and I'm sure, the entire Ivy community can only hope that you are not a Brown Alumni, if you are... I would suggest that Brown has larger issues than just their women's hockey program.

Comment

[QUOTE=fan007;4627226]

If you were truly a parent, then you and I both know you have the answer but are refusing to post it. 2 more questions, parent:

1) Where in the world is Carmen Coady? You'd think he'd at least show up for the senior festivities, don't ya think! He's been MIA for 3 weeks, what's up with that?

2) How did your daughter feel last year when she was bypassed for captain after Digit chose a sophomore and a junior. This year, she was bypassed again as Digit apparently didn't pick captains this year [how'd I miss that one?]

That shows complete disrespect. Someone on this thread wrote that if they were coach, the first thing they'd do was show some respect for the players. I'd say that'd be a good start. I don't think there's a college team in the country that doesn't have a captain. Only in Digit's world......
                You should join 5 4 fighting and take a program and hit yourself in the head too. You're missing the obvious - on purpose, methinks! I hope you're a better example to your daughter - stand up for yourself!
                As you may guess from the user name I am a Harvard fan but like following discussions of other teams in the league. I had not noticed the lack of captains in the team rosters but wonder how Brown gets away without having captains. The NCAA hockey rules require each team to have a captain (Rule 2, sec. 2a). As the game protocols require each team to have captains to meet with officials before the game If there are no captains I would presume that Brown would be receiving a 2 minute penalty at the start of each game for protocol violation but I don't recall that happening at the recent Brown-Harvard game. I would presume that it is possible to get a waiver if, for example, a captain quit the team or had a season ending injury but I doubt the NCAA would provide a season-long waiver.

It is sort of like being required to dress two goalies. After Christina Kessel tore her ACL a couple of weeks ago Laura Bellamy was sole goalie for a few games until a second goalie was obtained.

How does Brown do this. Not complaining, just curious.

Comment

We enjoyed our Senior Day game this evening and I do not have writing skills sufficient enough to describe what it is like to go through that particular post-game handshake, knowing that for many it is the last time. Both sides of the line sensed how precious those moments are; we were out there for quite awhile. I am so sorry that too many of the Bears did not have the opportunity to be on that line tonight - that they were not in uniform for the final embrace.

BTW, if anyone is planning to be at the Princeton game next Friday and would care to exchange greetings, I would be pleased to meet you.

Comment

[QUOTE=ccookie79;4627176]

... I wanted to vomit when I saw Digit hug the seniors and then hand over the Panda Bear trophy to a junior who is a great kid but hasn't seen 5 minutes of ice time in her college career.
                    I'm sure that your detractors will quickly point out that she has received way more than five minutes ice time. In fact she had a start this year and went in in relief twice in previous years. All told, about four periods of hockey.

What an insult to the graduating players who have just given four years to the program.
                    Last edited by Redhouse; 02-14-2010, 07:06 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

[QUOTE=Veritas;4627692]

As you may guess from the user name I am a Harvard fan but like following discussions of other teams in the league. I had not noticed the lack of captains in the team rosters but wonder how Brown gets away without having captains. The NCAA hockey rules require each team to have a captain (Rule 2, sec. 2a). As the game protocols require each team to have captains to meet with officials before the game If there are no captains I would presume that Brown would be receiving a 2 minute penalty at the start of each game for protocol violation but I don't recall that happening at the recent Brown-Harvard game. I would presume that it is possible to get a waiver if, for example, a captain quit the team or had a season ending injury but I doubt the NCAA would provide a season-long waiver.

It is sort of like being required to dress two goalies. After Christina Kessel tore her ACL a couple of weeks ago Laura Bellamy was sole goalie for a few games until a second goalie was obtained.

How does Brown do this. Not complaining, just curious.
                      My guess is that Digit does indicate captains on her paperwork and sends the appropriate designees to meet with the refs or someone would have assessed a penalty by now. Captains do not have to wear a letter on the ice IIRC, only be identified to the refs before the game.

Digit may rotate that duty or she may have a set of players assigned that duty. The fact that she doesn't give them duties beyond the required is entirely her perogative. Those who want to complain about Digit's coaching will find anything to criticize, whether there is fact to support it or not remains to be verified.

Comment

[QUOTE=Brown Parent;4627459]

As to the second question, I am concerned about the direction of the program and have addressed my concerns with the AD. Have you?
                        Glad to hear at least one Brown supporter has taken the only approach that may accomplish something!!! Hopefully more that feel something needs to change have done the same but are just not saying anything here. All thec omments and bback and forth exchanges on this forum will have no effect and you will be here whining again next season!

Oh, and Cody and Jill were at the Challenge Cup looking for talent for the next season or two. They're trying to make the program BETTER. Part of their job!
                        There is no right way to do the wrong thing.

U19AAAA Forever!

Comment

Originally posted by GHF View Post
                          Glad to hear at least one Brown supporter has taken the only approach that may accomplish something...
                          On the odd chance somebody wants to make this thread readable and just doesn't know how, here are some hints on quoting. The quotes on the last page plus of this thread are wrong, because somebody edited improperly, others quoted without fixing the error, so the name in the quote box is NOT the poster that first composed the text. For example, GHF was responding to "Brown Parent", not "fan007". When I first quote the "Glad to hear ..." post, it showed up as coming from "Brown Parent", not "GHF", the actual author. So for everyone that takes the time to post here, please take a couple more minutes to use the "Preview Post" button before doing a "Submit Reply". If that does not attribute the quote to the right person, edit your text to remove the "square-bracket QUOTE name;number end-square-bracket" portion of the incorrect poster. Preview the post again, and don't submit it until it reads correctly.

It is hard enough for people to find middle ground on this topic without a thread that looks like a tangled fly-fishing reel.
                          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

[QUOTE=GHF;4627964]

Glad to hear at least one Brown supporter has taken the only approach that may accomplish something!!! Hopefully more that feel something needs to change have done the same but are just not saying anything here. All thec omments and bback and forth exchanges on this forum will have no effect and you will be here whining again next season!

Oh, and Cody and Jill were at the Challenge Cup looking for talent for the next season or two. They're trying to make the program BETTER. Part of their job!
                            Perhaps there are many of us who have spoken to the AD. Perhaps you also read a post on this thread a few days back where HCKY85 explained so eloquently why doing so would be an exercise in futility. The taint goes deep.

As for Coady and Jill, it's interesting that they're still recruiting for a school whose admissions deadline has passed. Seems like a lot of applicants should be asking for refunds. As an allegedly big part of New England Hockey, you'd think Coady wouldn't have to travel out of the district to find talent. Apparently his skills aren't good enough to produce Ivy-caliber students. Too bad, the local kids could put some wins on Brown's record.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                              On the odd chance somebody wants to make this thread readable and just doesn't know how, here are some hints on quoting. The quotes on the last page plus of this thread are wrong, because somebody edited improperly, others quoted without fixing the error, so the name in the quote box is NOT the poster that first composed the text. For example, GHF was responding to "Brown Parent", not "fan007". When I first quote the "Glad to hear ..." post, it showed up as coming from "Brown Parent", not "GHF", the actual author. So for everyone that takes the time to post here, please take a couple more minutes to use the "Preview Post" button before doing a "Submit Reply". If that does not attribute the quote to the right person, edit your text to remove the "square-bracket QUOTE name;number end-square-bracket" portion of the incorrect poster. Preview the post again, and don't submit it until it reads correctly.

It is hard enough for people to find middle ground on this topic without a thread that looks like a tangled fly-fishing reel.
                              For what it's worth, ARM, I have been hitting the quote button but the past couple have come up with incorrect references. I'm not sure what's going on, but I know I've used the feature often without error.

Comment

Originally posted by ccookie79 View Post
                                As for Coady and Jill, it's interesting that they're still recruiting for a school whose admissions deadline has passed. Seems like a lot of applicants should be asking for refunds. As an allegedly big part of New England Hockey, you'd think Coady wouldn't have to travel out of the district to find talent. Apparently his skills aren't good enough to produce Ivy-caliber students. Too bad, the local kids could put some wins on Brown's record.
                                Clearly you are not a hockey parent, as you know that at this time of year, coaches are scouting the HS Juniors who may be applying ED. Not enough season next fall to get enough looks at players before the early signing period.

Duh!

And I know how to clean up bad quotations!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X