Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Union @ RPI, Wednesday 12/9/09

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
    1. Used as a disparaging term for a mentally ******** person.

We don't think you're mentally ********, although if you continue down this road I'm sure we could be persuaded.
    You don't always know who you're talking to. People all around can be attached in some way to someone with mental retardation. If you value respect so much, you should show some and not throw around highly offensive terms. I'd much rather hear "sucks" than have you throw "retards" around.

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonySaxe View Post
      Nope. Not really. Check the first.
      Yup. Really.

Definitions and usage are not limited to only the first listing in the dictionary. Ask any Union grad. Or any grad at all. It's accepted usage to people who are not so anal about PC. Just sayin.
      A neg.rep on this thread is a badge of honor.....troyboy March 7 2011

Comment

You don't always know who you're talking to. People all around can be attached in some way to someone with mental retardation. If you value respect so much, you should show some and not throw around highly offensive terms. I'd much rather hear "sucks" than have you throw "retards" around.
        You're really working on that persuasion, aren't you?

I'm glad that bothers you. Serves you right.
        Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

You're really working on that persuasion, aren't you?

I'm glad that bothers you. Serves you right.
          Serves you right? Gosh you just scream class.

Comment

My gosh, does someone need to wear the stripes and ref this one? For some reason, it seems like AnthonySaxe IS the one you almost fought with in the parking lot, RC.

But in any case, we lost, big deal. One team has to each night (aside from the kissing of the sisters). We'll see y'all for revenge night on the 16th.

Comment

Serves you right? Gosh you just scream class.
              Hey pot, meet kettle.

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
              For some reason, it seems like AnthonySaxe IS the one you almost fought with in the parking lot, RC.
              I was starting to wonder if that might be the case too. He's certainly classless enough to have been the guy.

Comment

Hey pot, meet kettle.

I was starting to wonder if that might be the case too. He's certainly classless enough to have been the guy.
                I have in no way demonstrated any classlessness. It seems your definitions are all over the board.

Comment

First of all, thank you for your service, RC. And I'm right there with you on the anthem stuff. It's an unwinnable argument to get people to stop shouting anything during the anthems, but I think we can all agree to leave "sucks" out of it.

Second, there was a pretty good game played last night, eh? Had the game ended at 59 minutes, I would have walked out of there satisfied that RPI deserved the win. I thought they were the better team for the most part - certainly in the second period and most of the 3rd...outside of Trabucco's 2 shots that I'm pretty sure York heard, but never saw. I'd also be annoyed at the stupid penalties Union took - especially by Lareau that gave RPI the go-ahead score.

I'm more convinced now that the players are starting to consider this a true rivalry. There was some intense play as the game wore on, though there wasn't too much post-whistle activity. I wasn't sure who initiated the scuffle at the end, but the Union players clearly were not happy with Kerins. Perhaps a penalty was deserved, but I don't know about the game DQ.

I think we're going to have a more intense battle on Jan 16th. Messa should be packed & ready for this one.
                  Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by aweise View Post
                    First of all, thank you for your service, RC. And I'm right there with you on the anthem stuff. It's an unwinnable argument to get people to stop shouting anything during the anthems, but I think we can all agree to leave "sucks" out of it.

Second, there was a pretty good game played last night, eh? Had the game ended at 59 minutes, I would have walked out of there satisfied that RPI deserved the win. I thought they were the better team for the most part - certainly in the second period and most of the 3rd...outside of Trabucco's 2 shots that I'm pretty sure York heard, but never saw. I'd also be annoyed at the stupid penalties Union took - especially by Lareau that gave RPI the go-ahead score.

I'm more convinced now that the players are starting to consider this a true rivalry. There was some intense play as the game wore on, though there wasn't too much post-whistle activity. I wasn't sure who initiated the scuffle at the end, but the Union players clearly were not happy with Kerins. Perhaps a penalty was deserved, but I don't know about the game DQ.

I think we're going to have a more intense battle on Jan 16th. Messa should be packed & ready for this one.
                    Regarding anthems, I only yell "Red" if I am at a home game around other people that commonly do it. For the most part I find it in bad taste, and this is coming from someone who has commonly performed the song both vocally and instrumentally (vocally not at college, but elsewhere; obviously I performed it with the pep band). Commonly I will sing along, either English or French depending upon how I feel that day and if they actually pllay that anthem. Yes I get weird looks from people around me, but it's still respecting the song and respective countries.

I think the Game DQ is because it was a scuffle at the end of the game for being ticked about losing. Yes, it's OK for the team to be ticked, but that doesn't mean you take it out on the winners. In the NHL (at least when the lockout ended, I don't know if it's still true), you receive a fine for fighting in the last 5 minutes of the game. I see the Game DQ as something very similar, except that since NCAA players are not paid, their punishment comes in the form of ice time.

But yea, so it's 1-2 now. January 16th is when we attempt to get our revenge. Until then, continue to play well when you don't play RPI.

Comment

• Re: Union @ RPI, Wednesday 12/9/09

I have in no way demonstrated any classlessness. It seems your definitions are all over the board.
                      Defending shouting anything not in the anthem, during the anthem? Yeah, that's real class.

Comment

Yeah, I figure that would be the place to start. Honestly, if people want to emphasize certain words... why not, you know? We can be mean and nasty to each other all game long, why do it during the anthems too?

Second, there was a pretty good game played last night, eh? Had the game ended at 59 minutes, I would have walked out of there satisfied that RPI deserved the win.
                        And honestly, they probably did up to that point. But they completely collapsed and, like I said, big ups to Union for capitalizing. There are a lot of teams out there that might have gotten the tying goal when the opposing team just stops playing, but you guys went for it all in regulation and got it. Valery-Trabucco is a BEAST, and he scores pretty goals, too (although that third goal kinda left me scratching my head. what an odd angle).

I'd also be annoyed at the stupid penalties Union took - especially by Lareau that gave RPI the go-ahead score.
                        The refs were incompetant on both sides. Phantom interference calls all night long, while letting the real thing go unabated.

Honestly, Kerins got what he deserved. He was being a real jerk at the end, and it was frustration for sure. Hurts to say that since he's done such an outstanding job this year otherwise.

And there's no question the team sees a rivalry, even if a lot of us fans don't. That'll happen when you play each other as often as we do nowadays.

Given that the Engineers woke up in the last 15 seconds of the game and even almost managed to tie it up (like, oh, gee, there's still game left?), and given how embarrassing this loss has to be for them, there's no doubt that game will be even more intense. Should be another big invasion, too, as usual. I definitely can't say enough about Union's fans last night turning out well. They weren't as organized as RPI's group at Messa was, but they were in significant enough numbers to make themselves known. We'll have to try and return the favor.

Comment

It was certainly frustration over the loss and as someone said a culmination of 3 games worth of "interaction". I would note that Pirri and Boileau had a health "dialogue" running throughout the night, which continued after the final horn as well. If anything I think Kerins inadvertently may have delivered a much needed wake up call to his team that some passion is required to play the game at a high level...we certainly didn't have much passion for most of the 3rd. Credit U for pulling off the comeback. Hopefully we can return the favor n 1/16.
                          ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Having had a chance to see the video of the end of the game, I see where the game DQ came from. Like aweise said, it's hard to tell who started it, but Kerins hooked his fingers in J. Simpson's facemask, shook his head back and forth and eventually tore the helmet right off his head and to the ice.

While the rulebook doesn't say anything about misconducts or disqualifications for the play (minor or major at ref's discretion), I don't know that throwing a minor, major, or a 10-minute misconduct on the board at 20:00 of the third is an appropriate punishment for a move like that. The game DQ is the only way to actually penalize Kerins for what is a stupid and potentially dangerous move.
                            APBWiki

Comment

Originally posted by GRussinko View Post
                              Having had a chance to see the video of the end of the game, I see where the game DQ came from. Like aweise said, it's hard to tell who started it, but Kerins hooked his fingers in J. Simpson's facemask, shook his head back and forth and eventually tore the helmet right off his head and to the ice.

While the rulebook doesn't say anything about misconducts or disqualifications for the play (minor or major at ref's discretion), I don't know that throwing a minor, major, or a 10-minute misconduct on the board at 20:00 of the third is an appropriate punishment for a move like that. The game DQ is the only way to actually penalize Kerins for what is a stupid and potentially dangerous move.
                              I agree. Had Kerins done that earlier in the game, the penalty could possibly have been a major and a game misconduct. Since it occurred right at the end of the game, the officials had little choice but to hand out a game DQ if they wanted to actually dish out punishment for the facemask. Simply calling a minor or major penalty for a move like that at the end of the game does little more than add to the player's penalty minute total.

Comment

The anthem discussion had me thinking, why is it that it has to be played at sporting events? The fact that it precedes "games" with certain exceptions, like Memorial Day or the 4th of July, to me demeans its value and significance. I can't honestly remember the last time I've heard the anthem at a nonsporting event and maybe that's part of my concern. Just seems odd to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X