Finlandia Coaching Change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finlandia Coaching Change?

The AD has taken over at MCHA Finlandia. Was Burcar fired?

Re: Finlandia Coaching Change?

Originally posted by davinchi View Post
    The AD has taken over at MCHA Finlandia. Was Burcar fired?
    I can't seem to find the article anymore, but a couple weeks ago, the local Daily Mining Gazette indicated that he was let go for "violations of internal policy".

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
      I can't seem to find the article anymore, but a couple weeks ago, the local Daily Mining Gazette indicated that he was let go for "violations of internal policy".
      Daily Mining Gazette article is here.

According to a Finlandia University press release, Burcar was removed for institutional policy violations.

"It has to do with operational policies," athletic director Chris Salani said. "I can't go into it much more than that."
      Salani will take over as head coach with Ross Rinkinen, Jason Moilanen and Brian Hannon all continuing duties as assistant coaches.

"I've talked with all three," Salani said. "I've asked them all to remain on in their capacities, and as of right now, they are."

Salani played two half-seasons of hockey at Michigan State University before helping out as a volunteer coach for a season. He was also a member of the football team during his time in East Lansing. Afterwards, he spent more than two seasons with the Division I University of Massachusetts (Amherst) hockey program as an assistant coach while seeking a master's degree in sports management.

Salani's latest coaching venture was as the first coach of the women's team at Finlandia. Salani's two seven-win seasons still stand as the program's best. He finished with a career record of 21-68-8.

The hockey team will be another duty added to Salani's already-busy schedule.

"Given all my responsibilities, this is going to just be an additional task that I'll have to manage," he said. "Certainly given my background, I'll be able to handle it.

"I've been fortunate in the past to have a Division I background both as a player and a coach."

Burcar finishes his career at Finlandia with a 104-96-11 record during eight complete seasons and six games into the 2009-2010 campaign.
      News release:
      Finlandia Hockey Announces Interim Head Coach
      FOR
      IMMEDIATE
      RELEASE

Hancock - November 23, 2009

HANCOCK, MI – Effective immediately, Finlandia University Athletic Director Chris Salani will assume the position of interim head coach, men’s hockey. A national search for a permanent head coach will begin following the 2009-10 men’s hockey season.

"Our core priority in the Finlandia Athletic Department is to create opportunities that encourage the success and well-being of Finlandia student-athletes," Salani said. "We will continue to provide to men’s hockey team members the resources and support they need for a successful hockey season and academic year."

Salani said former head coach Joe Burcar has been released from his position, citing institutional policy violations.

For information, please contact Chris Salani at 487-7378.
      Last edited by norm1909; 12-05-2009, 12:52 AM.
      Larry Normandin
      SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
      WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Great! I pick a team in the LPS and then find out two days later that the coach is fired. Hopefully Finlandia will pick it up tomorrow night for me, can't imagine they would lose to Northland two nights in a row.

Comment

Lions adjusting to new coach, prepping for ....
          Larry Normandin
          SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
          WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Working...
          X