Patty Kaz 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patty Kaz 2010

As we get close to the break it might be fun to start thinking about the Patty Kaz award this year. Taking a look at the scoring leaders this thing is wide open, with lots of players who have never been nominated before (befitting an Olympic year).

The top ten in scoring are separted by only eight points, and are dominated by multiple players from three teams: UNH (Paton, Long), Mercyhurst (Scanzano, Bendus, Bram), and UMD (Blais, Frinfiddson, Wilson). Perhaps those who follow those teams can speculate on who, right now, would have the inside track on their best candidate for the award. OSU's Langan, Minnesota's West and Providence's Cottrell round on the top ten (eleven players total, due to a tie for tenth). Clarkson's Thibault started off hot, but has slipped down the list.

The goaltending leaders are pretty bunched, too: Schelling, Raty, Pattenden and Dahm fairly close in stats.

I would imagine it's uphill skating for the freshmen I've mentioned, given that no frosh has ever won the award, and it's doubtful one would this year unless the numbers couldn't be ignored, and that's not the case now.

Let the speculating/arguing begin!
    Last edited by PrincetonFan; 12-03-2009, 11:01 AM.

Re: Patty Kaz 2010

Could be a real tough call with many of the top players playing nationally this year.
    The WCHA Dynasty
    Wisconsin
    National Championships: 2011,2009,2007,2006; Runners Up: 2012, 2008
    MOP Winners: Bauer (07), Duggan (11), Knight (11), Vetter (06, 09)

Minnesota
    National Championships: 2012, 2005, 2004, 2000 (AWCHA); Runners Up: 2006
    MOP Winners: Darwitz (05), Killewald (00), Raty(12), Wendell (04)

Minnesota-Duluth
    National Championships: 2010, 2008, 2003, 2002, 2001; Runners Up: 2007
    MOP Winners: Blais (10), Martin (08), Ouellette (03), Rooth (01)

Comment

Originally posted by PrincetonFan View Post
      The top ten in scoring are separted by only eight points, and are dominated by multiple players from three teams: UNH (Paton, Long), Mercyhurst (Scanzano, Bendus, Bram), and UMD (Blais, Frinfiddson, Wilson). Perhaps those who follow those teams can speculate on who, right now, would have the inside track on their best candidate for the award. OSU's Logan, Minnesota's West and Providence's Cottrell round on the top ten (eleven players total, due to a tie for tenth). Clarkson's Thibault started off hot, but has slipped down the list.
      Usually at this stage, we look at the top scorers in terms of PPG, because the number of games played varies so much due to late-starting Ivies. This top ten really ends at West, because Holy Cross players are typically ignored, given that they are a D-I program in name, but not in schedule. Hokey Langan, the top scorer for OSU, will have to battle the unfamiliarity that goes with being a frosh, particularly one who was not hugely hyped before the season, and people calling her Logan. I doubt she'll finish higher, but at this rate, she makes my top 10.

The goaltending leaders are pretty bunched, too: Schelling, Roty, Pattenden and Dahm fairly close in stats.
      IMO, Schelling and Räty have separated to some extent from the other two. Räty is going to miss too many games in the second half to finish higher than top ten, and I guess Schelling will as well.

I would imagine it's uphill skating for the freshmen I've mentioned, given that no frosh has ever won the award, and it's doubtful one would this year unless the numbers couldn't be ignored, and that's not the case now.
      They haven't won, but a number have made the top 10.

Of Minnesota players, I expect that Räty, West, and Schleper will be nominated. I'd say that Schleper and Birchard of UNH are the D with the best chance to make the top 10. Perhaps Rasmussen of UMD if her numbers tick upward a bit.

My guesses for top 3? I'd put Schelling in there, except it is hard to gauge the impact of the Olympics, and it will depend to some extent what happens to Northeastern when their league schedule gets tougher. I think Paton gets in the top three at her current pace. Scanzano, Bendus, and Bram will start to show some separation from each other at some point (or maybe not, like the WSU trio in some years past), and then one or two gets in the top three, depending on how Schelling goes.

Don't see anyone from the WCHA getting in the top 3. Nobody from the ECAC has a great case for the top ten right now, but Buesser and Parsons have played so few games that things could change considerably.
      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Courtney Birchard - Defense

Nationally:
        35th Overall in scoring (first Defenseman)

33th Overall Goals /game (first Defenseman)

4th (tie) Overall Power Play Goals (first Defenseman)

4th (tie) Overall Shorthanded Goals (log jam with 1 each)

4th Overall Game Winning goals (3) (first Defenseman)

1st Defenseman Points Per game 1.0

I know defenseman have traditionally not gotten a lot of Kaz love, but Ms. Birchard is making her presence known in a big way, and IMHO should be on the list.
        "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post
          Courtney Birchard - Defense

I know defenseman have traditionally not gotten a lot of Kaz love, but Ms. Birchard is making her presence known in a big way, and IMHO should be on the list.
          It's true that judging defensemen is tough based on statistics alone, so it's good to hear from those who actually see these players in action. Usually one D is always included in the ten semifinalists, so perhaps Birchard will be the one this year. Of course, there's the sticky problem of each coach only being allowed to nominate two from their team (although I believe other players can get votes even if they aren't coach-nominated, but that's got to make it tougher). If Birchard is nominated, that probably means Long won't be.

Comment

If Birchard is nominated, that probably means Long won't be.
            I'd say that it is a safe bet that Paton, Birchard, and Long will all be nominated. IIRC, last year was the first season where they opened up the nomination process such that other coaches around the league can nominate players from outside their team who did not receive a nomination by their own coach. I would think the one left off of McCloskey's list will stand out among the best players in HEA.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
              I'd say that it is a safe bet that Paton, Birchard, and Long will all be nominated. IIRC, last year was the first season where they opened up the nomination process such that other coaches around the league can nominate players from outside their team who did not receive a nomination by their own coach. I would think the one left off of McCloskey's list will stand out among the best players in HEA.
              Thanks for the correction. I think that's fair and appropriate.

Comment

One of the requirements should be remaining in an upright position for at least 50% of the game. That would eliminate any UNH player right off the bat.
                (where the heart beats)

bleep.

Comment

I'd like to see Emily West on the list. IMO, she's Minnesota's Erika Lawler as well as one heck of a person OFF the ice. I'd also like to see a few MC players on the list along with a few UMD players. And is Pezon already a senior? dang....time is flying.
                  (where the heart beats)

bleep.

Comment

[QUOTE=ARM;4496631 Scanzano, Bendus, and Bram will start to show some separation from each other at some point (or maybe not, like the WSU trio in some years past), and then one or two gets in the top three, depending on how Schelling goes.

[/QUOTE]

I can't disagree at all that these 3 could be nominated from Mercyhurst. All 3 are speciall players but Bendus is my favorite. Something about her size and her heart while playing is enjoyable to watch.
                    "If you're satisfied with being good, you'll never be great"

"heck, you go to some D-III hockey games and a Steven Segal Chinese stick fight breaks out,....." by Camman15

2009-2010 Regular Season Atlantic Hockey Pick-em Champion

Comment

If Paton keeps it up I think she'll be a Top 3 nomination. I can't speak about some of the other top scorers, but Paton has not only been prolific this year, but she's been clutch and shown great leadership.

It seems that whenever UNH NEEDS a goal, she either gets it or sets it up. Witness the late goal to beat Syracuse or the hattrick/4 pt game vs RPI. On the gwg vs RPI it was as if she just decided "Screw it, I'm scoring NOW."

Paton is also on the top PP and PK, and she's also great in the defensive zone. Last year she was given the task of shutting down Stack in the HEA tourney and did so, and also shadowed Irwin in the NCAAs, keeping her off the scoresheet until Paton went down with an injury.

But it's also a long way to go.
                      113-162-27 .419

252-113-40 .672

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                        Scanzano, Bendus, and Bram will start to show some separation from each other at some point (or maybe not, like the WSU trio in some years past), and then one or two gets in the top three, depending on how Schelling goes.
                        Based on this season alone...

If I had to pick one player to put on the ice at the end of the game because I need a goal, I would choose Bram.

If I had to pick one player I would start a team around and she would be the captain, lead penalty killer, and play point on the power play, I would choose Bendis.

Scanzano has a slight knee injury and has not been playing as well as she did last season. I think we saw glimpses of the 2008-09 Scanzano this past weekend against Colgate, so she may be ready to start taking over games.

I agree with MIC. If I had to pick one, it would Bendis.

If Hurst and UM continue to separate themselves as the top two teams, I think you need to take a player from each team and then the next best player from the rest of the country.

Comment

Originally posted by RStarr View Post
                          I'd like to see Emily West on the list. IMO, she's Minnesota's Erika Lawler ...
                          While comparison to Lawler is always a high compliment, I don't know that Westy is really from the same mold. Lawler was perpetual motion during her shift, then barely making it back to the bench on a depleted tank. Although West plays all 3 zones like Lawler, her speed is on display more in sudden bursts up the wing, at the end of which she goes to the net with what a football announcer would call "reckless abandon". I'm always afraid she won't be able to get up, but she's one tough kid.

In terms of numbers, she shows well in some important categories: tied for 2nd in both goals and GPG, tied for 2nd in gamewinners, tied for 1st in SH goals.

Originally posted by freak View Post
                          If Paton keeps it up I think she'll be a Top 3 nomination.
                          I agree. She still stands out in my mind from a game played over 3 years ago, and players who are memorable do well in this voting.

Originally posted by LakersFan View Post
                          I agree with MIC. If I had to pick one, it would Bendis.
                          The problem I have in embracing Bendus over the other two is that I have zero memory of her. I should, given her stature would make her unique on the Laker roster, but in terms of my FF memories ... nothing. Now Hux will tell you that this is because I slept through the weekend, but he was too busy figuring out how to fill his stomach to know. I do have vivid memories of both Bram and Scanzano though. Interesting that you think that the latter has not been performing that well when she leads the country in points per game. As this evolves, I'm sure we'll look beyond the overall numbers at who produced best in big games, at crunch time, etc., but for now, I think we all agree that all three will be in the mix.

Comment

I definitely think Emily West deserves to be in the running, 1st in goals, 1st in short handed goals and 1st in game winning goals. Heck of a player.
                            "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard"

Comment

Originally posted by THE Icemom View Post
                              I definitely think Emily West deserves to be in the running, 1st in goals, 1st in short handed goals and 1st in game winning goals. Heck of a player.
                              I totally agree.
                              GOT ICE? PLAY HOCKEY

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world," Calvin.

“If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.” Thomas Jefferson.

Comment

Working...
                              X