Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2009-2010 Season Thread II: Still got a pulse, time for CPR

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
    don't bother...

collegefan06 is either colby's mom or vincent's gf. it is the coaches fault that the boys are playing to their potential, nor putting out the effort. the coaches need to teach them NOW how to be in position, or to get a shot off more quickly, or how to pass to a skater in the same color sweater as you and not the other team, or where to stand.

don't you see?!!?!?!?!?
    I definitely don't agree with this. These players are not as good as they will ever get. There's still an awful lot of improvement and development to be done at this level. College hockey coaches still need to do an awful lot of teaching. That's why someone like Parker stays a college hockey coach rather than doing it at the NHL level. (sure, they shouldn't have to tell them what team to pass to, etc.) But where to be in position on certain plays, to get shots off more quickly, effort and mental lapses - absolutely. These kids aren't pros. Of course, when you are a 25 year old player and should be a pro, the coaches don't need to teach you that stuff, and we all saw what we get when we have someone like that on the team.

Originally posted by Bumbles View Post
    Because hopefully their parents taught them that when things get tough, you don't quit and bail? Imagine where that would leave the guys on the team who aren't ready or don't have the option of going somewhere else. I would lose any and all respect for any player that left.
    Haha, well that's cute and all, but come on. It's no different than a player leaving early at the end of the season. BU is a stepping stone (or is supposed to be) to a higher level of play. They aren't here because they want to play for BU. They are here because they want to play in the NHL. ****ty season, ****ty coaching, ****ty record, ****ty time - if you have a shot at the next level and don't need to be bogged down in this crap, you're out of here. Happens pretty frequently. Hockey's not like basketball or football, where you don't get drafted until the season's over and you've already decided to go pro. You already have a team to go to in hockey, and there are different levels and different routes (Canada) to go to. These kids have options. And if this option doesn't work out, they will be advised to go elsewhere. If Pat Kane had come to BU, you think he would have been here past winter break?

Comment

• Re: Boston University 2009-2010 Season Thread II: Still got a pulse, time for CPR

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
      I definitely don't agree with this. These players are not as good as they will ever get. There's still an awful lot of improvement and development to be done at this level. College hockey coaches still need to do an awful lot of teaching. That's why someone like Parker stays a college hockey coach rather than doing it at the NHL level. (sure, they shouldn't have to tell them what team to pass to, etc.) But where to be in position on certain plays, to get shots off more quickly, effort and mental lapses - absolutely. These kids aren't pros. Of course, when you are a 25 year old player and should be a pro, the coaches don't need to teach you that stuff, and we all saw what we get when we have someone like that on the team.

yes, coaches.

no, players.

a little of both, first couple times, coach - after the 30's game, player

these are not 'kids', they are all legal age. can vote, serve in iraq, etc. ie, adults who should exhibit some responsibility. and this age can certainly be professional (see, crosby, s. kane, p. ) except for one thing.... they ain't that good yet. it's very rare that someone this age all of a sudden wakes up and moves from low level minor talent to nhl all star talent. therefore it is the grinder type who truly matures and realizes that it's up to him to put forth the effort to improve his strengths to get the job done and improve his weaknesses to keep them from hurting both himself and his team that gives an example of what can happen with work and awareness. a coach's role now is to implement systems that don't force players without the ability to have to try and do something they can't. and to give the players an opportunity to step up and improve themselves.... but even the last point requires a player to take advantage of that. such as, how the hell are these young kids tired every third period??!? are they not in shape? did they do nothing over the summer to get in shape to put out 60 minutes of effort? every team at every level shorts the bench, this isn't new for these boys.

again, i've been as hard on JP as anyone not named jofa (i in fact coined "JackPa" years ago , but this is not all him ('cept for the groceries aspect ))
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
        Haha, well that's cute and all, but come on. It's no different than a player leaving early at the end of the season. BU is a stepping stone (or is supposed to be) to a higher level of play. They aren't here because they want to play for BU. They are here because they want to play in the NHL. ****ty season, ****ty coaching, ****ty record, ****ty time - if you have a shot at the next level and don't need to be bogged down in this crap, you're out of here. Happens pretty frequently. Hockey's not like basketball or football, where you don't get drafted until the season's over and you've already decided to go pro. You already have a team to go to in hockey, and there are different levels and different routes (Canada) to go to. These kids have options.
        But who on this team do you seriously think is NHL-ready at this point? It's stupid to leave BU just to play in the AHL. Sure, you make money, but the resources at BU in terms of strength and conditioning as well as the ability to get a degree should an injury end your career is invaluable.
        Shatty hasn't been nearly as good this season and would no doubt be playing for either Lake Erie or the ECHL. Colby isn't going anywhere. Bonino could possibly play in the AHL right now, but he's coming off an injury, isn't performing as well as he can, and doesn't seem the type to abandon his duties as an assistant captain on the team. Gryba is here until he gets his degree. Saponari and Trivino aren't even close to being NHL-ready.

I expect the entire team back after break. The question is, are they going to be ready to finally get their acts together?
        April 11th 2009
        October 27th 2004
        October 28th 2007

Sure, the Yankees have won 27 World Series Championships, but how many Beanpots have they won?

Comment

don't bother...

collegefan06 is either colby's mom or vincent's gf. it is the coaches fault that the boys are playing to their potential, nor putting out the effort. the coaches need to teach them NOW how to be in position, or to get a shot off more quickly, or how to pass to a skater in the same color sweater as you and not the other team, or where to stand.

don't you see?!!?!?!?!?
          mookie,

it's clear the closest you came to playing a sport is standing along the glass at your 7 year olds hockey games.

Of course its up to the players to do their part on the ice including playing with passion, grit, heart, smarts and determination. When it comes to playing with smarts, I believe, apparently unlike you, that these boys have all been "taught" positionally where to be on the ice and that the group of returning players demonstrated all of the above throughout last year.

So, if that is the case, what's the problem with them this season? Did their passion, focus, work ethic, grit, smarts, etc suddenly abandon them? Why did they have it last year and not have it this year?

From my perspective, there are a number of reasons for this including 1. that the coaches rely heavily on a small group of players over and over not figuring out whether there are others on the team that, with consistent ice time, can bring this team more of what is lacking on the ice. With the amount of ice time this corp group sees they aparently don't have legs in the third period.

I also believe...and all it is is my opinion.... 2. that JP is a negative coach by nature. He accentuates the negatives behind closed doors with the players because that is his personality. With a young team lacking the unbelievable leadership of MG and JM to counteract his negativity, this team fullfills its coaches negative messages to them.

3. This team is lacking in doing the little things like smart line changes and short crisp shifts. If this is the players fault, bench them and send a message. I know this team doesn't have the third and fourth line depth of last years but compared to most teams they play the talent top to bottom exceeds the competition. If it doesn't then go back to your post about coaches duties....are they good at shopping?

This isn't a one year phenominon. Look at the Terriers performance this decade. They have struggled, not been able to win the big games and generally disappointed their fans each season, except for last year.

I am not excusing the players. They certainly are responsible too. They have to do it when the puck drops and be prepared to execute the game plan the coaches have prepared. Coaching should be about physically and mentally preparing a team to succeed. Among the most important prep items at this level and above, I believe is leadership and mental preparation. That is what separates success from failure. It is also my opinion most teams take on the personality of their coach and with the exception of last year I think that has been the case with the Terriers the last 10 years.

Therefore, I am concluding that the coaches have not prepared these players to mentally succeed as well as they are capable of. Is that all the coaches responsibilty? No, the players share in it and have responsibility too. With a senior class like last year's leading the way and neutralizing the negativity, that team acheived amazing success and had more mental toughness than I've seen from any team any where in a long time.

That is all I'm trying to say.

Mookie, in closing, your personal characterizations are humorous and only the more so when I review your many posts and consider the source.

Comment

don't bother...

don't you see?!!?!?!?!?
            I do think there is a fair amount of technique being taught at the college level, watching film, etc., but when players need to be benched (and with good reason so far) then it's not like the coaches aren't trying to motivate the players. Parker is rewarding good play and punishing mistakes, like every coach at every level.

Early on in the season I believed that this team would not start fast. Probably under .500 through 8 games, but they're talented enough that once they come together they'd be able to climb to a top 4 spot in Hockey East eventually. You know, lots of young players need to adjust, freshmen from last year getting huge jumps in ice time. However, key injuries and guys weren't just not "stepping up," but were regressing in the same roles they'd excelled in last season. Poor efforts. I don't know what more the coaching staff could be doing. I'm sure during their film studies they're addressing the X's and O's to the players, and I think most of these players have had that drilled into their head, but they're tired or lazy or whatever. Is the poor 3rd period play actual fatigue or as Parker recently wondered, are they just too afraid to lose?
            Boston University 2009 Champs
            Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

Originally posted by collegefan06 View Post
              Mookie, in closing, your personal characterizations are humorous and only the more so when I review your many posts and consider the source.
              thanks. i try to keep it light.

i wanted to go back and see what you've typed, since you only have 10 - and you have a tendency to return and edit your posts. which is tough because i've already read them and replied.

JackPa's style is his style. he's been pretty consistent. plus he's won national titles in three different decades over four. now, 1)these kids have to know what they are getting into. and 2) it has worked.

would i enjoy his style? no. i've had basketball coaches that came through the 'bobby knight' school and hated them. i'm generally a self-important d!ck when it comes to things like that and need the last word - so i don't fit into that type of program well.

but again, kids who come here know (or should know with some simple research) what they are getting into and a great number of them continue to come back and be with the program and consider Jack a dear friend after playing for him.

so we know his methods have generated great results over four decades (perhaps even cross-generational ), and a majority of his athletes respect him and are proud to call him a friend.

.... now, the talent.

i mentioned it early on, but some of our guys excelled as 3rd and 4th liners last season, and have not improved enough to take the next step to 1st and 2nd liners.

Jack has tried to get some other guys involved on the top two lines. JoeP played a few. KG had a chance early in the season. plus we only get to see 2/7th of the ice time this team spends together at best. there is practice going on throughout the week where i suppose players get noticed and earn their assignments, no?

whatever needs to be done, i just hope it happens soon. players, coaches, whatever. probably have to win hea tourney, but stranger things have happened.

Comment

thanks. i try to keep it light.

i wanted to go back and see what you've typed, since you only have 10 - and you have a tendency to return and edit your posts. which is tough because i've already read them and replied.

JackPa's style is his style. he's been pretty consistent. plus he's won national titles in three different decades over four. now, 1)these kids have to know what they are getting into. and 2) it has worked.

would i enjoy his style? no. i've had basketball coaches that came through the 'bobby knight' school and hated them. i'm generally a self-important d!ck when it comes to things like that and need the last word - so i don't fit into that type of program well.

but again, kids who come here know (or should know with some simple research) what they are getting into and a great number of them continue to come back and be with the program and consider Jack a dear friend after playing for him.

so we know his methods have generated great results over four decades (perhaps even cross-generational ), and a majority of his athletes respect him and are proud to call him a friend.
                .... now, the talent.

i mentioned it early on, but some of our guys excelled as 3rd and 4th liners last season, and have not improved enough to take the next step to 1st and 2nd liners.

Jack has tried to get some other guys involved on the top two lines. JoeP played a few. KG had a chance early in the season. plus we only get to see 2/7th of the ice time this team spends together at best. there is practice going on throughout the week where i suppose players get noticed and earn their assignments, no?

whatever needs to be done, i just hope it happens soon. players, coaches, whatever. probably have to win hea tourney, but stranger things have happened.
                Agreed!

and the edits were minor corrections to mispellings and the sort......not substantive

Comment

don't bother...

collegefan06 is either colby's mom or vincent's gf.

cant he be both?
                  “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
                  Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
                  Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
                  National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

Originally posted by SteveF View Post
                    cant he be both?
                    Steve outed me....of course he failed to mention I'm his daughter too!

Comment

Originally posted by TommyNoblesIsLife View Post
                      But who on this team do you seriously think is NHL-ready at this point? It's stupid to leave BU just to play in the AHL. Sure, you make money, but the resources at BU in terms of strength and conditioning as well as the ability to get a degree should an injury end your career is invaluable.
                      Shatty hasn't been nearly as good this season and would no doubt be playing for either Lake Erie or the ECHL. Colby isn't going anywhere. Bonino could possibly play in the AHL right now, but he's coming off an injury, isn't performing as well as he can, and doesn't seem the type to abandon his duties as an assistant captain on the team. Gryba is here until he gets his degree. Saponari and Trivino aren't even close to being NHL-ready.

I expect the entire team back after break. The question is, are they going to be ready to finally get their acts together?
                      I'm not advocating for or against leaving college early (though I am against it), but this post makes it sound like you became a BU fan, or a college sports fan in general, last weekend sometime. You know players across the country have been leaving college early with little to no guarantee of ever making it to the NHL for almost the past 20 years. I also never said they would be leaving for the NHL.... Shattenkirk has been pretty good the past couple of weeks. He'd be in the AHL for the rest of the season. Bonino wants to play in the NHL. Wearing an A on his sweater isn't going to keep him here if he has an opportunity. Colby Cohen, Trivino, Connolly, they'll go wherever they need to go if they decide BU's not working out for them. Gryba will be gone within a week of our last game of the season. He's not finishing his degree before he plays in an AHL game.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveF View Post
                        cant he be both?
                        ironically, on three separate occasions at banner night i overheard people singing, "higgins' mom, has got it going on..."

Comment

ironically, on three separate occasions at banner night i overheard people singing, "higgins' mom, has got it going on..."
                          She's a nice lady, but there is a player mom that is really good looking and she's not it.
                          Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

Originally posted by candycanes99 View Post
                            Shattenkirk recently said in his post-game that the break will be good to get their minds off hockey. That's no good in my opinion. Then they come back afraid of the season again with no change in perspective. They need to use this break to refocus and figure out on their own what they hope to accomplish, because something about the collective approach of the players is severely lacking.
                            Don't you think it might be a good idea for these guys to focus on their final exams for a little while? Some of the stuff you fanboys write really blows my mind.
                            Originally posted by reBlur
                            the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
                              Don't you think it might be a good idea for these guys to focus on their final exams for a little while? Some of the stuff you fanboys write really blows my mind.
                              Obviously what he meant was that he hoped Shattenkirk wasn't looking at the break as a way to escape from the disaster that was the first half as opposed to using it as time to regroup and find a way to change things around for the second half. If you weren't on here looking for posts that you could make smarta** comments about maybe you would've actually realized that.

Comment

Originally posted by Bumbles View Post
                                Obviously what he meant was that he hoped Shattenkirk wasn't looking at the break as a way to escape from the disaster that was the first half as opposed to using it as time to regroup and find a way to change things around for the second half. If you weren't on here looking for posts that you could make smarta** comments about maybe you would've actually realized that.
                                I think Shattenkirk obviously was talking about just being able to put hockey on hold to finish exams and spend time with family over the Holidays.

I don't think it's very obvious what CC was saying but to me he was having a fanboy moment. I DO think it's obvious and very very I'm comfortable saying this, that over time reading this board, the fanboys think these guys live and die with BU hockey (just as they do) and it is a travesty of the highest order if they are not scoring goals and winning games so they can slobber all over each other from their seats, jump up and down, and give each other man-hugs and kisses on their facepainted, glittery little cheeks while screaming things like "SHATTY!!!!!!" and "HIGGY I HEART YOU!". Let's face it. While they are hockey players all hoping to go professionally, they have a lot going on. Handling the classes, girlfriends, and hockey (practice, games, some travel, lifting and other conditioning) isn't that easy and obviously they are looking to balance these things and as a result, hockey isn't always the only thing and biggest thing going on. And knowing that CC is one of the bigger fanboys around, I don't think it was a stretch to read that and think he was having a fanboy moment where his frustrations got the best of him and he thinks Shatty and all of the other guys on the team (I don't know all of their pet names) should be spending every minute of their break to figure their problems out (because obviously they owe it to the fansies).

Now, saying that, my opinion on the subject is this. These guys need to have amnesia. Just as people say to put their rings away so it doesn't get them too cocky, they need to forget about the losses and simply come back with a blank slate looking to play as best as they can individually. It's Jack's job to get them to play as well as they should be as a team. That is as simple as it gets.
                                Originally posted by reBlur
                                the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Working...
                                X