Best Crowd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Crowd

So who has the best crowd, or student section in D3. Broken down by conference if anyone cares to do so. I know Oswego is always talked about as a hostile place to play and Plattsburgh always draws big crowds but i have never been impressed with participation by those in the crowds. Anyone to rival these or programs that have increased in the past few years in general?

Re: Best Crowd

Or how about who has the best traveling crowd? Oswego gets some decent chants going in The Stafford..
    Oswego'08, '10

From the shores of Lake Ontario to the island of Hilton Head...

2011-2012 SUNYAC Pick 'Em Champion!
    2011-2012 D3FHL Overall Points Champs!

Comment

My Dad can beat up your Dad should be the title of this thread.

This such a fickle topic but none the less...

If you want to talk about best crowds it probably starts with the Rowdy Crowd out in Stevens Point. While they are nowhere near what they used to be they are still an impressive hostile crowd at the Willet. Check out some of their videos on youtube.

Geneseo and Fredonia both have pretty good pep bands which make their rinks a lot more lively and entertaining.

Oswego's crowd...while arguably one of the largest if not the largest student section in D-III, is very lackluster in hockey knowledge and more of the students are there to be seen rather than watch the game and come up with cheers. They can be quite loud at times and have gotten a little bit better recently but the crowds are a far cry from what they used to have in Romney.

I've been to Middlebury a couple of times and have been impressed with their student section. Granted, I haven't been there in about three or four years for a men's game but back in the days of desertmiddfox04 and gang they were pretty rowdy and funny.

Elmira has the bellringers which can always be a bit of an experience for opposing players. The students have even started to attend game more recently but they don't really do much cheering. The Thunderdomes get pretty rocking during an away timeout.

Unfortunately I havent been to Utica in about three years but they draw some awesome crowds there and that place gets LOUD when the fog horn blows for a Utica goal and they have over 3,000 people in there regularly. Im not sure what's left of the Pioneer Posse but last time I was there they were starting to grow into a pretty good cheering section.

Plattsburgh crowds have become as PC as Oswego crowds once they had the Stafford makeover. They shrunk the seating capacity in half and started cracking down on the noisemakers killing what once was a great college hockey atmosphere. The 2008 SUNYAC final was one of the best atmospheres I've been a part of in my 17 years following D-III hockey.

As far as the other CCCP schools and the rest of the Cheese region schools...You'll have to leave that up to someone else. I'm not as familiar with their crowds. I've been to Norwich but not during the students in session so I'm not sure if there is much of a difference or not in game atmopshere.

As far as PrezPuckBunny Rankings...here is the long awaited new top 5.

1.Neumann
      2.Hobart
      3.Hamilton
      4.Fredonia
      5.Elmira
      70.Plattsburgh (Lynn Taylor is lone gone... )

Hobart has finally been dethroned. Their lackluster showing in my last visit to the Cooler gives Neumann's crowd from last year's ECAC West and NCAA playoff run the nod
      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
      GO LAKERS!!!
      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
      Oswego State '09

Comment

I traveled back to Oswego recently to watch them play Morrissville. I, like Prez, was pretty critical of the Oswego State student section during my time at the school as they always seemed to be sitting on their hands if it was a lower-scoring game and lacked knowledge of the game.

But I was pleasantly surprised by what I saw at the Morrisville game. The section was filled and very vocal. Seems like the students are making a comeback. I'd really like to see them come up with a new name for that section seeing as how Zoo Crew was ripped off from another school. And what kind of progress is SA making with the mascot?
        Voice of the Lakers, 2007-2009
        Follow me on Twitter
        The VOTL.com
        Chairman Hows Glorious Army

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Maloney View Post
          I'd really like to see them come up with a new name for that section seeing as how Zoo Crew was ripped off from another school. And what kind of progress is SA making with the mascot?
          A. Please do, and its even worse to steal it from your rivals
          B. The fans waiting in line with us for the Plattsburgh game were talking with a few of us about it..there are some really good ideas out there. It would be cool if they could make a website for this so people could keep up to date with it
          Remy Babineaux
          remyb616@gmail.com
          D3FHL Web Page

Comment

i make it to a few Utica games over breaks and such and the numbers are always amazing and naturally with goals its loud. but outside of that there never seems to be much noise. though this could be because of the students being on breaks too

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
              A. Please do, and its even worse to steal it from your rivals
              B. The fans waiting in line with us for the Plattsburgh game were talking with a few of us about it..there are some really good ideas out there. It would be cool if they could make a website for this so people could keep up to date with it
              Possible new names...

Romney Rowdies
              Campus Center Crazies
              Gosek's Goon Squad
              The Green Berets
              Laker Loonies
              The Green and Gold Gang
              The Woodshed 2
              GO LAKERS!!!
              "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
              Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                Possible new names...

Romney Rowdies
                Campus Center Crazies
                Gosek's Goon Squad
                The Green Berets
                Laker Loonies
                The Green and Gold Gang
                The Woodshed 2
                "Romney Rowdies" doesn't really work. A, you don't play in Romney anymore. B, it reminds me too much of the Rowdy Crowd. The Rowdy Criwd, in all of their rowdiness, have the sole right to use the word "Rowdy" in DIII, IMO.

"Campus Center Crazies" - yeah, y'all are crazy, but I don't think that's QUITE what you were getting at with this name.

"Gosek's Goon Squad" could work for now, but what about when the finally fire Gosek?

"The Green Berets" would be a nice comparison to the Cadets if you played Norwich with any regularity.

"Laker Loonies" - see "Campus Center Crazies" comment. Also, this name makes me think of canadian currency

"The Green and Gold Gang" - umm... you're Packers Fans now?

"The Woodshed 2" - I can't comment on this one, since I'm probably missing the background on this.

I will say, my favorites of these are "The Green Berets" and "The Green and Gold Gang"
                Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
                  "Campus Center Crazies" - yeah, y'all are crazy, but I don't think that's QUITE what you were getting at with this name.
                  Too much like the Krietzberg Krazies, which was Dave Moody's name for the Cadet fans
                  2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                  2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                  2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                  2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                    Too much like the Krietzberg Krazies, which was Dave Moody's name for the Cadet fans
                    Their not Krazie, its just another word for Alzheimer's.........
                    Remy Babineaux
                    remyb616@gmail.com
                    D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                      I've got a gentleman from Duke who would like to speak with you.

Comment

Reminiscing

Elmira's fan tradition was one of the best, and the reason that many recruits chose the school. HOWEVER, as administrators attempted to create a child-friendly, politically correct atmosphere, the crackdown on chants, standing, glass-pounding, pre-game tailgating, language, certain beverages, yelling at the opposing bench, etc simply sucked the life out of the place.

I attended Cornell in the 80s when the crowd and the chants were definitely R-rated, and the same thing occurred there, but not with the same dampening effect. The biggest squelch was a money-grabbing split of the student section by inserting a high-rollers section directly in the middle. The favorite cheer post-split was "Section C Sux." It's still pretty raucous, but quite tame comparatively. I've even taken my kids there to games which I would not have done in the 80s.

Comment

Re: Reminiscing

Originally posted by elbojpb View Post
                          Elmira's fan tradition was one of the best, and the reason that many recruits chose the school. HOWEVER, as administrators attempted to create a child-friendly, politically correct atmosphere, the crackdown on chants, standing, glass-pounding, pre-game tailgating, language, certain beverages, yelling at the opposing bench, etc simply sucked the life out of the place.

I attended Cornell in the 80s when the crowd and the chants were definitely R-rated, and the same thing occurred there, but not with the same dampening effect. The biggest squelch was a money-grabbing split of the student section by inserting a high-rollers section directly in the middle. The favorite cheer post-split was "Section C Sux." It's still pretty raucous, but quite tame comparatively. I've even taken my kids there to games which I would not have done in the 80s.
                          I got to sit there for the Princeton/Cornell game a few weeks ago and while the seats were nice when the action was right in front of you, it sucked anytime it was in the corners on the near side of the rink you couldnt see anything because the standing students would block your view.

I dont know why anyone would like to sit there other than the fact you are right near the Cornell bench. Other than that, I'd rather sit on the horseshoe end of the rink where I have sat a majority of the time I've been to games at Lynah.

No section C sucks chant while we were there but there was a Section O sucks when Princeton scored.

I'm dying to get back there for one of the North Dakota games...and hopefully back where I usually sit.
                          GO LAKERS!!!
                          Oswego State '09

Comment

NCHA
                            -- UW-Stout
                            --
                            --
                            --
                            --
                            -- Gap of pure excellence
                            --
                            --
                            --
                            --
                            -- UW-Stevens Point
                            -- UW-River Falls
                            -- St. Scholastica
                            -- St. Norbert
                            -- UW-Eau Claire
                            -- UW-Superior
                            WATCH Stout Blue Devil Hockey Live!

Stout Student Section: Devils' Advocates

NCHA Peters Cup Playoff Champions: 08-09
                            NCHA Regular Season Championships: 06-08 (Shared)
                            WIAC Championships: 10-11
                            NCHA Runner-Up: 07-08
                            NCAA National Tourney Appearances: 07-08, 08-09

Webmaster & Tech Guru - www.stouthockey.com - DIII Hockey's most popular fan site.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueDevilRadio View Post
                              NCHA
                              -- UW-Stout
                              --
                              --
                              --
                              --
                              -- Gap of pure excellence
                              --
                              --
                              --
                              --
                              -- UW-Stevens Point
                              -- UW-River Falls
                              -- St. Scholastica
                              -- St. Norbert
                              -- UW-Eau Claire
                              -- UW-Superior
                              You are a god**** fool. Being rude and unimaginative does not equal excellence. I'm surprised it took one of you idiots this long to post your drivel in this thread.
                              "Career highlights? I had two - I got an intentional walk from Sandy Koufax and I got out of a rundown against the Mets." - Bob Uecker

Read my blog! gbsportsguy.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
                              X