Boston College @ Boston University, 12/5 - The First Of Four Venues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boston College @ Boston University, 12/5 - The First Of Four Venues

...if BU can stay out of the NU invitational this year.

Muse has been shaky, and our offense has been ridiculous - and balanced. We have about 9 players with 3+ goals. Should be a fun, fun game to watch.

Also, BU was my safety school. Discuss.
    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
    Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
    Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Re: Boston College @ Boston University, 12/5 - The First Of Four Venues

I'm reserving judgement on how BU might fare until after Friday night. I can't allow myself to be optimistic after two ties and a win.

That being said, if the team can't get up for a game against BC, I think that will say a lot about where the rest of the season is headed.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you never take." - Wayne Gretzky

Photography

Comment

I felt that way watching a struggling BC team get blown out at BU in January last season.

BU will be okay this year but they're not where they need to be yet. BC wins big.
      BC Interruption: SB Nation's Boston College Eagles Community
      -
      Boston College Class of 2010

Comment

It would not be a very fun walk out of Agganis if we lose to a bu team we should beat handily. Ah, rivalry games.

Comment

I think this will be maybe the most telling weekend for BU hockey this season. I'm looking for two things:

1. Does BU have the leadership and focus to get up for the Vermont game with BC coming to Agganis the next night? Attitude, as Parker has said, has been an issue all year with this team. The team seemed to shake that last week and put together two solid efforts against Harvard and Cornell –– and in a sense, I see tying Cornell as a small victory, considering the way the game started out.

2. We're gong to find out just how talented BU really is when they take on BC. Attitude, focus, all that garbage that's distracted from BU's real talent level are going to be thrown out the window –– BU will show up to play BC and will play at its max level. BC is as talented as any HE team, IMHO, so if BU can compete there, I'll start to believe the turnaround is coming. If BC beats them handily, well, I'll know BU's "A" game really is probably only good enough for the middle of the pack in HE.

My guess: BU has a breakout weekend, beats Vermont, but spotty goaltending from Rollheiser and a couple defensive breakdowns costs them a 3rd period lead in a high-scoring affair, and everyone on Comm Ave goes home unsatisfied with a tie (I'm thinking like 5-5 or 6-6, something crazy like that).
          Boston Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by BU Hammer View Post
            I think this will be maybe the most telling weekend for BU hockey this season. I'm looking for two things:

1. Does BU have the leadership and focus to get up for the Vermont game with BC coming to Agganis the next night? Attitude, as Parker has said, has been an issue all year with this team. The team seemed to shake that last week and put together two solid efforts against Harvard and Cornell –– and in a sense, I see tying Cornell as a small victory, considering the way the game started out.

2. We're gong to find out just how talented BU really is when they take on BC. Attitude, focus, all that garbage that's distracted from BU's real talent level are going to be thrown out the window –– BU will show up to play BC and will play at its max level. BC is as talented as any HE team, IMHO, so if BU can compete there, I'll start to believe the turnaround is coming. If BC beats them handily, well, I'll know BU's "A" game really is probably only good enough for the middle of the pack in HE.

My guess: BU has a breakout weekend, beats Vermont, but spotty goaltending from Rollheiser and a couple defensive breakdowns costs them a 3rd period lead in a high-scoring affair, and everyone on Comm Ave goes home unsatisfied with a tie (I'm thinking like 5-5 or 6-6, something crazy like that).
            If BU could take 3 points on the weekend, I might be one of the people on Comm Ave NOT unsatisfied with a tie.

I thought you freep types weren't supposed to make predictions?

Photography

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
              It would not be a very fun walk out of Agganis if we lose to a bu team we should beat handily. Ah, rivalry games.
              You could all hold each other's genitals as you go, that would make it more fun. I know Nick P. would absolutely love to be included in that, heck I bet he would be in even if you win by 10.
              Originally posted by Hokydad
              Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by BUT09 View Post
                If BU could take 3 points on the weekend, I might be one of the people on Comm Ave NOT unsatisfied with a tie.
                I don't know, last year, when the roles were reversed, I would have been pretty good with a tie.

Comment

Originally posted by BU Hammer View Post

Yeah - there are good ties and bad ties, and that was a good tie for BU against Cornell. Whether or not this game would be a 'good tie' for BC depends on the circumstances of the game.

I just don't see BU getting 5 or 6 goals, the way they've been going. I know they scored 6 against Harvard (and Harvard is sooooooooo awesome, I read so in pre-season press clippings Yale too ) but they haven't had a huge offensive performance against a good team.
                  -

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                    I don't know, last year, when the roles were reversed, I would have been pretty good with a tie.
                    Well, last year's first game at Agg was a tie, but you can't really say the roles were fully 'reversed' - BC hadn't started nosediving yet, and BU had already established themselves as a top-5 team by December. Then by January they were already rolling and were clear-cut #1.

BC is off to a pretty good start but they're nowhere near where BU was last year, not yet anyway.
                    -

Comment

Originally posted by BCWH Superfan joe View Post
                      Well, last year's first game at Agg was a tie, but you can't really say the roles were fully 'reversed' - BC hadn't started nosediving yet, and BU had already established themselves as a top-5 team by December. Then by January they were already rolling and were clear-cut #1.

BC is off to a pretty good start but they're nowhere near where BU was last year, not yet anyway.
                      This is true. I think I was remembering the feeling I had at the 2nd @BU game.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                        You could all hold each other's genitals as you go, that would make it more fun. I know Nick P. would absolutely love to be included in that, heck I bet he would be in even if you win by 10.
                        I think you're getting a little confused about who does what. UVM does the elephant walk. BC does the Beanpot Trot.
                        Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Yeah - there are good ties and bad ties, and that was a good tie for BU against Cornell. Whether or not this game would be a 'good tie' for BC depends on the circumstances of the game.

I just don't see BU getting 5 or 6 goals, the way they've been going. I know they scored 6 against Harvard (and Harvard is sooooooooo awesome, I read so in pre-season press clippings Yale too ) but they haven't had a huge offensive performance against a good team.
                          The Cornell tie felt like a win. Though maybe that was just in perspective.

The problem with BU's offense is it is really spotty. There is enough talent for it to be really potent (Bonino, Chiasson, Connolly, Saponari, even the defensemen), but the execution and finish just isn't there a lot of the time.

Photography

Comment

Last year BU's offense-from-the-d-men was freakin' scary, like nothing I've seen at the NCAA level. Especially Warsofsky and Shattenkirk who were two of the most entertaining players to watch last year, imo.

From browsing through the BU thread it seems like y'all think Warso has dropped off this year. What happened? Just a sophomore slump? Or is there something in particular that's dragging his game down?
                            -

Comment

Last year BU's offense-from-the-d-men was freakin' scary, like nothing I've seen at the NCAA level.
                              IMO the scariest part of BU last year was the powerplay. Oy.

Comment

Working...
                              X