X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My Money's on the team in Green... MSU @ NMU Dec 4/5

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
    Crap, I was hoping to only see State once this year. :-p
    So this means no MTU/UW this weekend? Friggin' hoser.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICHhockeyRULZ View Post
      But Michigan doesn't play Northern this weekend...
      **** off, ********.

Comment

NMU has gone 3-0-3 in their last 6 games against Teams Under Consideration (4-3-4 season to date). They currently reside in 16th place in estimated Pairwise Rankings. I'm happy to see them turn around what was a slow start which obviously many of us were frustrated with.

With that being said, this coming weekend looms large for both schools. If NMU can pick up another 4-6 points they will have positioned themselves nicely when considering RPI, head to head records, records against TUC's and common opponents for NCAA tourney consideration.

While I know it is early to start talking NCAA tournament, the simple fact remains that THESE games are important to the big picture.

With games against Clarkson and potentially Minnesota looming, UofM, Ferris State, and once again UNO and UAF there aren't going to be many weekends to change comparisons.

I've got a good feeling about this weekend and the rest of the season. NMU needs to take care of their business and the rewards will be waiting for them in March!!!
        Last edited by MOJO; 12-01-2009, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MOJO View Post
          NMU has gone 3-0-3 in their last 6 games against Teams Under Consideration (4-3-4 season to date). They currently reside in 16th place in estimated Pairwise Rankings. I'm happy to see them turn around what was a slow start which obviously many of us were frustrated with.

With that being said, this coming weekend looms large for both schools. If NMU can pick up another 4-6 points they will have positioned themselves nicely when considering RPI, head to head records, records against TUC's and common opponents for NCAA tourney consideration.

While I know it is early to start talking NCAA tournament, the simple fact remains that THESE games are important to the big picture.

With games against Clarkson and potentially Minnesota looming, UofM, Ferris State, and once again UNO and UAF there aren't going to be many weekends to change comparisons.

I've got a good feeling about this weekend and the rest of the season. NMU needs to take care of their business and the rewards will be waiting for them in March!!!
          This really is a pretty fair assessment... The holiday period will be fairly light on paper, but the Cats can't be lulled to sleep over it... Clarkson is really the only game between now and January 15th that I think the Cats can take on Cruise Control... In there you have 6 rivalry games and a potential matchup with a Minny team that can still light up the best in the W on a given night... The Cats will have to take these games one at a time and not look past anyone...

As for this weekend, I would have to think that MSU has some major payback on their minds... They were simply embarassed in their last trip to MQT, and most of that team remembers that... They will come out firing on all cylinders... Sadly, this means that whomever is in net will probably see 30+ shots and a game that could see double digits in combined goals...
          It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by NMUFAN View Post
            Congrats to Gregor Hanson being named CCHA offensive player of the week. Two consecutive 6 point weekends.

I doubt he can keep up a three point a night pace but hopefully he and his linemates continue their high energy.

MSU scares me. This is not last years Spartan team. From what I hear they're stronger and faster. Plus Comley will have them more than ready after this past weekend's performance vs the WCHA.

I hope both games can be near sellouts. A loud Berry would help the Cats tremendously.
            Here is the link: http://www.miningjournal.net/page/co....html?nav=5010

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
            This really is a pretty fair assessment... The holiday period will be fairly light on paper, but the Cats can't be lulled to sleep over it... Clarkson is really the only game between now and January 15th that I think the Cats can take on Cruise Control... In there you have 6 rivalry games and a potential matchup with a Minny team that can still light up the best in the W on a given night... The Cats will have to take these games one at a time and not look past anyone...

As for this weekend, I would have to think that MSU has some major payback on their minds... They were simply embarassed in their last trip to MQT, and most of that team remembers that... They will come out firing on all cylinders... Sadly, this means that whomever is in net will probably see 30+ shots and a game that could see double digits in combined goals...
            Each game needs to be taken seriously, IMHO. Focus, determination, grit, and being the hardest working team in D1 hockey each and every night.....

LETS GO CATS!!!!

Comment

I don't know if it's the building, the big sheet, the long roadtrip, or something else, but we always seem to have huge problems up in Marquette.

Considering the losing streak and how anemic our power-play has become in recent weeks, this trip could not come at a worse time.

It's a perfect storm. I cannot visualize any scenario that doesn't have Northern sweeping us.
              Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
              66 - 86 - 07
              59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
              59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
                I don't know if it's the building, the big sheet, the long roadtrip, or something else, but we always seem to have huge problems up in Marquette.

Considering the losing streak and how anemic our power-play has become in recent weeks, this trip could not come at a worse time.

It's a perfect storm. I cannot visualize any scenario that doesn't have Northern sweeping us.
                Well, your powerplay is in luck, NMU is ranked around 36th in the nation at killing penalties, at a rate of 80%. On the other side of the special teams, NMU is 14th in the nation, scoring 23% of the time. Olver has 5 of the team's 14 PP goals.
                Last edited by NMU8405; 12-01-2009, 01:40 PM.
                Cat Chat, The U.P's best College Sports Show. Check us out at www.catchattv.org

Born a Black Bear
                1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

A NMU Wildcat for Life
                1980 1981 1989 1991 1992 1993 1999 2010

NMU Hockey
                2006-2007: 15-24-2
                2007-2008: 20-20-4
                2008-2009: 18-16-5

1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

Comment

The long road trip to Marquette??? Yeah, that hour and seven minute flight is a rough one! How do they do it? I do know they spent a lot of time crying that the league wouldn't put them in the luxury of the Landmark Inn for the playoffs last year, and they had to suffer with the common folk at the Ramada. Poor Sparty! Life is soooooooo tough.

As for NMU's goaltending, here are the November stats going into last Saturday's game: Stewart 3-0-2 2.13 GA .934 sv%, Ellingson 1-1-0 2.50 .918. One tough period hardly negates five outstanding games for Stewart. Each goalie had one tough game in November. Reid gave up five at Ohio State, Stewie, a 4 spot at Alaska.
                  Last edited by davyd83; 12-02-2009, 09:44 AM.
                  "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by Yager View Post
                    So this means no MTU/UW this weekend? Friggin' hoser.
                    Wisconsin sucks so much, even a native doesn't want to go there.
                    Always a Wildcat...
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    If you quote the derp you are spreading the derp. Please help keep the board derp-free.

Comment

Nice sandbagging.

Comment

Originally posted by nmupiccdiva View Post
                        Wisconsin sucks so much, even a native doesn't want to go there.
                        They waxed sparty...
                        Go Blue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NMUFAN View Post
                          Nice sandbagging.
                          Then let me try:
                          I like MSU's chances. Nice change of venue - they have 5 days to regroup instead of 4, and young players concentrate on ... well, concentrating every shift - the lack of which killed MSU last weekend. I'd say this could be a tidy 3-point weekend for us.

Oh and shut the ******* up, UMichDroolz

Comment

I can only imagine that studying for exams has put you in this frame of mind. That, or the chill you took from wearing shorts last Saturday has gone to your brain ...

This is not last year's team. This team is not going to roll over and die. The last two weekends have been a bump in the road. They need to get back to the things they were doing right. Find the power play, and all will be well.
                            "It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."
                            - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by UMICHhockeyRULZ View Post
                              They waxed sparty...
                              Who waxed you. **** off.

Comment

Pick to Click!
                                sigpic

MinnesotaNorthStar: bando > all of you
                                streaker:There isn't a team in this league she doesn't mention, (well, okay, she probably doesn't know there is a team in Marquette) if it does something worth mentioning.
                                TwitchBoy: what the heck, GO CATS GO CATS GOCATSGO!

Comment

Working...
                                X