Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cornell & Colgate @ RPI & Union (12/4, 12/5)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cornell & Colgate @ RPI & Union (12/4, 12/5)

Originally posted by ColSkate65 View Post
    This seems to be a backhanded slap at 'Gate. WARNING: Don't take the 'Gate lightly this season. We were ranked #20 before our close loss to Cornell. This is a different team than many of you may have seen as the "weak sister traveling partner" last year....
    Actually it wasn't meant to be. In fact, I have absolutely no qualms with Colgate whatsoever. As for taking opponents seriously, there's a reason the games are played, and why ALL opponents should be taken seriously.

And you guys weren't the weak sister traveling partner..... you did beat us at home after all.....

Comment

This seems to be a backhanded slap at 'Gate. WARNING: Don't take the 'Gate lightly this season. We were ranked #20 before our close loss to Cornell. This is a different team than many of you may have seen as the "weak sister traveling partner" last year....
      I'm not sure it has as much to do with production on the ice as it has to do with the number of fans who make the trip to Troy for the game.
      Without A Peer - Full coverage of RPI Men's and Women's Hockey, with a twist of lemon.

Without A Peer live tweets every RPI hockey game, men's and women's. Follow us at @without_a_peer on Twitter.

Comment

Prestige pricing isn't for the schools we take seriously, it's for the ones that travel well and/or draw heavy crowds from the locals. Cornell and Clarkson have a decent number of alumni in the area, and they bring lots of their own fans. Union is only 20 minutes away, so we get a lot of their fans as well. With your current ECAC record, I'm pretty sure you will be taken seriously.
        RPI
        Remember, whenever we score, you need to punch, shove, or throw the person next to you, or else you will be removed from our section.

Announcer: [Opposing Team] returns to full strength!
        Crowd: That's de-
        [HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONK!!!]

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
          And you guys weren't the weak sister traveling partner..... you did beat us at home after all.....
          Actually, Colgate and RPI split the season series last year. (In both cases, it was the home team winning in overtime.)

Also, I plan to attend Saturday's Colgate-RPI matchup at the Field House. The only question is, will I be able to get a ticket at the door? I'm optimistic I'll be able to, seeing that this isn't your Freakout game or an opponent called Clarkson. Will comment more about this weekend's matchups in a few days.
          Colgate '09

Comment

Originally posted by Rainman View Post
            Actually, Colgate and RPI split the season series last year. (In both cases, it was the home team winning in overtime.)

Also, I plan to attend Saturday's Colgate-RPI matchup at the Field House. The only question is, will I be able to get a ticket at the door? I'm optimistic I'll be able to, seeing that this isn't your Freakout game or an opponent called Clarkson. Will comment more about this weekend's matchups in a few days.
            You'll be able to walk up I'm sure. Just remember the game is at 4 pm.
            R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by realet View Post
              I'm not sure it has as much to do with production on the ice as it has to do with the number of fans who make the trip to Troy for the game.
              Correct. Excluding Big Red Freakout games, games against Clarkson, Cornell, and Union each account for approximately 10% (closer to 12% in Clarkson's case) of the average season attendance at the Houston Field House. Makes sense that RPI would want to charge more for these games, knowing that past history shows they'll draw a decently sized crowd.

Edit: and yes, I did go through attendance numbers for the past 10 years at the Houston Fieldhouse to verify this

Comment

Originally posted by JCrawford View Post
                Correct. Excluding Big Red Freakout games, games against Clarkson, Cornell, and Union each account for approximately 10% (closer to 12% in Clarkson's case) of the average season attendance at the Houston Field House. Makes sense that RPI would want to charge more for these games, knowing that past history shows they'll draw a decently sized crowd.

Edit: and yes, I did go through attendance numbers for the past 10 years at the Houston Fieldhouse to verify this
                JC-You are indeed correct-these have been the consistently biggest draws for a long time. Back when Vermont was our travelling partner however, they used to bring a monstrous crowd to HFH.
                Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

I can't wait for Schafer to cry and complain when we beat them Friday

Comment

I hope the students stick to let's go white.....I am always puzzled why the students would cheer let's go red, when we play Cornell. Sounds like we are cheering for them.
                    Let's go white
                    Last edited by Go Puckman; 11-30-2009, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Go Puckman View Post
                      I hope the students stick to let's go white.....I am always puzzled why the students would cheer let's go red, when we play Cornell. Sounds like we are cheering for them.
                      Let's go white
                      JMO, but the game is in our house. No way should we change our cheers just because the team we are playing also uses "Lets Go Red". Let the Cornell fans use "Lets Go Red" and we can just join them and make it louder. The boys on the ice know who the crowd is cheering for.

Comment

Originally posted by Go Puckman View Post
                        I can't wait for Schafer to cry and complain when we beat them Friday
                        Woof woof

Comment

Originally posted by redhead18 View Post
                          JMO, but the game is in our house. No way should we change our cheers just because the team we are playing also uses "Lets Go Red". Let the Cornell fans use "Lets Go Red" and we can just join them and make it louder. The boys on the ice know who the crowd is cheering for.
                          Although I understand the logic, it seems weird to say "Let's Go Red!" when the other team is wearing the red uniforms.

Time to post:
                          From the Cornell Alumni Magazine Vol 104 No. 4 describing why Cornell's uniforms are bright red
                          Some give credit to legendary hockey and lacrosse coach Ned Harkness, who came to the Hill in 1963. He changed the color of the hockey uniforms to bright red (perhaps because that was what he was accustomed to, after eighteen years at RPI); other Cornell sports teams followed suit.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by redhead18 View Post
                            Yes. Also, it seems weird if we only change one of the cheers. Should we change the "Go go go you Red Red Red" cheer for the beginning of the period, too?

Our cheers (the ones that we make for our team, anyways) should not be dependent upon our opponents.

This looks to be a great series with all four of the teams sitting in 2-5 at the beginning of the weekend. If any of the four teams can pull out a sweep, it would be a huge boost to their spot in the standings.

And, Ralph, that is a great quote.
                            Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
                              Yes. Also, it seems weird if we only change one of the cheers. Should we change the "Go go go you Red Red Red" cheer for the beginning of the period, too?

Our cheers (the ones that we make for our team, anyways) should not be dependent upon our opponents.

This looks to be a great series with all four of the teams sitting in 2-5 at the beginning of the weekend. If any of the four teams can pull out a sweep, it would be a huge boost to their spot in the standings.

And, Ralph, that is a great quote.
                              I'm a fan of cheering "R P I" at the Cornell games. I agree that the people on the ice know who is cheering for who, but I figure it doesn't hurt to be clear. "R P I" is also a cheer heard at non-Cornell games as well (less often than LGR) so I don't think it's quite a drastic change-up.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockchops View Post
                                I'm a fan of cheering "R P I" at the Cornell games. I agree that the people on the ice know who is cheering for who, but I figure it doesn't hurt to be clear. "R P I" is also a cheer heard at non-Cornell games as well (less often than LGR) so I don't think it's quite a drastic change-up.
                                I agree again. R - P - I is a great cheer for Cornell games. Just don't, please don't for the love of all that is holy, cheer "Let's go White!" in place of "Let's Go Red!" But, that's just my opinion.
                                Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Working...
                                X