2009 Hackett Builders Hockey Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 Hackett Builders Hockey Tournament

For those planning on coming to Adrian for the 2009 Hackett Builders Hockey Tournament, please note that all games are at 3 PM ET or 7 PM ET. USCHO schedule says 4 PM and 7 PM. We don't want people to be an hour late.

Friday 3 PM ET Concordia (MN) vs Buffalo State
    7 PM ET St. Johns vs Adrian

Saturday 3 PM ET ST.Johns vs Buffalo State
    7 PM ET Adrian vs Concordia (MN)

Distance to Adrian from:
    Buffalo State 345 miles
    St. Johns 717 miles
    Concordia 872 miles

Thank you for coming to Adrian.

Re: 2009 Hackett Builders Hockey Tournament

Originally posted by bayliner2555 View Post
    Distance to Adrian from:
    Buffalo State 345 miles
    St. Johns 717 miles
    Concordia 872 miles
    And which team is not in Adrian's region

Although with the AQ it doesn't make as much difference, but it shows how silly the regional placement of Adrian and/or the practice of not counting out of region games for NCAA rankings purposes are.
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post

Although with the AQ it doesn't make as much difference, but it shows how silly the regional placement of Adrian and/or the practice of not counting out of region games for NCAA rankings purposes are.
      Obviously the closest one. And your suggestion is.........

Comment

But Adrian is less than 500 miles from St. Norbert.

Guess who Adrian is playing in the NCAA QF's?
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by bayliner2555 View Post
          Obviously the closest one. And your suggestion is.........
          He's pointing out the ridiculousness of Adrian's region designation (and likely the regional designations in general).
          FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

NUProf, One distance that I left out is for you. From your front door to Adrian is 779 miles and Google says you can drive it in 13 hours and 14 min. AARP says that one of the things that should be considered in retirement is travel.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
              He's pointing out the ridiculousness of Adrian's region designation (and likely the regional designations in general).
              I like the split into regions. Obviously, it serves its purpose of saving on travel expenses most of the time. Yes, there are a few (one?) exceptions.

But I think not playing many (or any) out-of-region teams ads another layer to the game. Going out and playing a team you haven't seen... a team you opponents haven't seen... who plays a different style of hockey. The question then becomes not "are they prepared" but rather "How well did the coach prepare them? How much video did he get a hold of? Are they ready for this?"

Often, if you are playing a team that has already faced a previous opponent, you have seen video of the team you're about to play, and noted some tactics and playing styles, even if you were not focusing on that team at the time. Ex: Plattsburgh played Oswego on 11/7,and Oswego had already played 2 games against Elmira. Now, when Plattsburgh is preparing for their 1/9 game in Elmira, Emery might already have an idea of what to look for when watching the tapes, because he's already seen them play. When playing an out-of-region team, this is very rarely the case. It's like the first game of the season all over again.

Now, that's why I personally like it, it is NOT why it exists. It exists to save on teams' travel expenses. When it comes to Adrian, and their opponents... I would agree that it has failed. But, to reiterate a point that has already been beaten to death, for them to be east region, they would have to be in an east-region conference. They are obviously not SUNYAC or MASCAC eligible, and the ECAC conferences (West being the most logical) can't accept them without changing the bylaws of the whole conference, DI, DII, and DIII. That leaves... NESCAC. But doesn't the NE stand for "New England"? Adrian didn't get placed east-region because they COULDN'T wihout going Independent permanently.
              Plattsburgh CARDINALS
              SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
              ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
              NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
              NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
              NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
              NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
                I like the split into regions. Obviously, it serves its purpose of saving on travel expenses most of the time. Yes, there are a few (one?) exceptions.
                It doesn't really save on travel expenses as teams could be logically paired up in attempt to minimize costs even if the current "regions" ceased to exist.
                “You drive by some of these rinks in the winter and there isn't anybody out there. It's kind of sad, actually...Here it’s go to the rink, pay for your ice time and practice for an hour where we could just walk to the rink and skate for four hours if we wanted to...It was just a lot of fun. I wish I could go back and be eight years old for a couple days" -Neal Broten

2010-11 DIII Commitments
                19gp, (23-24-47), +27

Comment

Here's the problem I have with the regions. Last year Oswego played St. Norbert. Great idea. I'm sure it was a great game. I would have loved to have been there. However, that game had no bearing on either teams' season whatsoever.

Why? Because they're too far away on a map? That's ridiculous.

Whoever won that game should have received the full benefits of defeating a quality Division III team, and the other one should have taken whatever hit from losing that game. Instead it's a glorified exhibition game where, basically, the stats counted for the players and that's it. I've got a real problem with that.
                  Last edited by Hammer; 11-24-2009, 11:46 AM. Reason: No changes, but made it more readable.

God, that was fun...

Comment

I admire that your opinion on this subject has never waivered.

So many interesting opinions, discussions and arguments transpired the last two years from a large x-section of members.

The awarding of the AQ to the MCHA seems to have caused a small void in the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernLite View Post
                      I admire that your opinion on this subject has never waivered.

So many interesting opinions, discussions and arguments transpired the last two years from a large x-section of members.

The awarding of the AQ to the MCHA seems to have caused a small void in the forum.
                      I know it is a fruitless quest, but I also remember a great compromise that was hammered and was then shelved. Out of region games during school vacations would have been allowed to count if both teams agreed - this would have meant that Buff State's games in this tournament and Stout's games in the Primelink could have been considered in region games. No academic disruption, no problems, but...

As for travel to Adrian, I do have family in Western Michigan...ya never know.

As for "Burgh's" comments about regions and leagues - true in DI, not in D3. A special provision in the regional policy allows for a team to be in a different region than its league. When that happens all league contests are counted as in-region. This provision helps deal with FB and BB leagues that straddle regional boundaries. The best example of that was Colorado College Football, which played in a league based in the Southeast. Of course CC dropped Football...because of travel expenses.

In any case, I think as long as classes aren't disrupted, any game between NCAA DIII schools should count toward tournament selection and seeding. Anyway, didn't Webb declare Adrian to be a region unto itself ?
                      2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                      2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                      2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                      2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

My question is why is Buff St. going all the way to Adrian and not even playing the Bulldogs? I know Buff St. isn't really a quality Eastern team, but they are an Eastern team. Not to mention St. Johns played Adrian last year.
                        Oswego State Great Lakers: 2007 National Champions
                        08-09 WTOP 10 Sports Director
                        2/20/2009: First Ever Laker Hockey Webcast

Comment

I think St. Johns is returning their end of the home-and-home from last year.

No offense intended, but quite frankly, I'm not really sure why Buffalo St. is there in the first place.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by nysportsfan29 View Post
                            My question is why is Buff St. going all the way to Adrian and not even playing the Bulldogs? I know Buff St. isn't really a quality Eastern team, but they are an Eastern team. Not to mention St. Johns played Adrian last year.
                            I think they got tickets to watch the Lions on Thursday ...so they could enjoy a real football team.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernLite View Post
                              I think they got tickets to watch the Lions on Thursday ...so they could enjoy a real football team.
                              The Packers?

God, that was fun...

Comment

Working...
                              X