Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern Recruits

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    You're not very good at this. Cody Ferriero wanted to go to BC. He changed his mind, took his ball and went home when he realized he'd have to actually compete for ice time and scholarship money.

Exactly.
    Exactly. He wanted to go to BC because his brother when and excelled there. But figured he would get special treatment because of it. He wasn't and he actually going to be fighting for playing time so he packed up and left.

His brother was a great kid who had his head on straight, so I don't know what happened here but the only thing I can imagine is that the "family adviser" isn't giving great advice.

I am sure he will do very well at NU, it just doesn't look great on your resume when you don't show the will to compete on the ice.
    BC Eagles Hockey East Champions: 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2007, 2005, 2001, 1999, 1998, 1990, 1987
    National Championships: 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949
    Beanpot Champions: 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2004, 2001, 1994, 1983, 1976, 1965, 1964, 1963, 1961, 1959, 1957, 1956, 1954

Bentley Falcons Hockey

Comment

You're not very good at this. Cody Ferriero wanted to go to BC. He changed his mind, took his ball and went home when he realized he'd have to actually compete for ice time and scholarship money.

Exactly.
      Uhhhh, here is why there is that "arrogant" perception. Obviously Ferreiro will just be placed on the first line, PP and PK at NU and not have to compete for playing time like he would have at BC .

When it comes down to it, I can understand why a kid who is drafted in the fifth round feels he shoud be on full scholarship and not a 2 for 4 deal. If he's on full at this point, regardless of the school, that's only ~80k or more in his and his parent's pockets that otherwise would have gone to the BC. I think everyone here would have chosen to save the ~80k and that's probably a conservative number.

Comment

Actually, the difference is closer to $110M - essentially tax free. How many years would it take to earn that back playing sub-NHL pro hockey?

Comment

Originally posted by WDR357 View Post
          Uhhhh, here is why there is that "arrogant" perception. Obviously Ferreiro will just be placed on the first line, PP and PK at NU and not have to compete for playing time like he would have at BC .

When it comes down to it, I can understand why a kid who is drafted in the fifth round feels he shoud be on full scholarship and not a 2 for 4 deal. If he's on full at this point, regardless of the school, that's only ~80k or more in his and his parent's pockets that otherwise would have gone to the BC. I think everyone here would have chosen to save the ~80k and that's probably a conservative number.
          Uhhhhhhh I didn't say anything about NU. Did you read the USHR article? He was unhappy with being told he'd be one of 12-13 forwards competing for ice time.

This has nothing to do with arrogance. I have no idea what Cronin told him, but it would make sense that it was different from what the BC staff told him.

Also, hokydad and many others would be happy to point out that a ton of 5th round level talent don't get full scholarships.

Comment

Uhhhhhhh I didn't say anything about NU. Did you read the USHR article? He was unhappy with being told he'd be one of 12-13 forwards competing for ice time.

This has nothing to do with arrogance. I have no idea what Cronin told him, but it would make sense that it was different from what the BC staff told him.

Also, hokydad and many others would be happy to point out that a ton of 5th round level talent don't get full scholarships.
            What you implied was quite obvious. Regardless of what anyone says I'd guess he knew he could get a better deal elsewhere and went for it. He knows he'll have to compete for ice time at NU or any other school he might have chosen. Use logic, not what USHR tells you.

Comment

What you implied was quite obvious. Regardless of what anyone says I'd guess he knew he could get a better deal elsewhere and went for it. He knows he'll have to compete for ice time at NU or any other school he might have chosen. Use logic, not what USHR tells you.
              What I implied? You were mistaken, it's ok. It happens. I don't think you should try telling me what I implied. Has it been confirmed that Northeastern gave him a better scholarship offer than 2/4? USHR didn't tell me it, Cody Ferriero did. They had an interview with him full of his own quotes. Part of his problem was that the BC coaching staff told him he'd be competing with 12-13 other forwards and he didn't like hearing that.

I have no details on the scholarship he got from NU or what Cronin told him. I am not implying anything about the NU situation, just going off of Ferriero's own quotes.

Comment

from what i read it does look like playing time and scholarship money were the driving factors in his decision. and lets face it, there will be less competition for playing time at NU, especially at forward. so in that regard it might be the right decision for him, but it doesnt say much for his character the way he went about it.

this isnt too much of a loss for BC, but i cant decide how much of a gain it is for NU. if this is just a kid with an ego it could hurt the team, but cronin is a no nonsense coach so i cant imagine it getting too out of control.
                my huskies > your huskies

Comment

It has absolutely nothing to do with arrogance. Fact of the matter is BC is a better team than NU. It is kind of hard to argue that. There are less spots available on this BC team because so many forwards returned from the national title team last year. Thus there would be extra competition for a spot at BC. You don't like that, than I don't know what to tell you.

Oh and can we get a link or quote showing he is getting a full scholarship from NU?
                  BC Eagles Hockey East Champions: 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2007, 2005, 2001, 1999, 1998, 1990, 1987
                  National Championships: 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949
                  Beanpot Champions: 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2004, 2001, 1994, 1983, 1976, 1965, 1964, 1963, 1961, 1959, 1957, 1956, 1954

Bentley Falcons Hockey

Comment

Lesson one in communication: What is received is what is communicated! If you thought he'd have to compete for playing time at NU or anywhere else, your statement didn't communicate that. It essentially read that you think he won't have to compete for playing time at NU. I'm sure Ferreiro will get playing time at NU. I'd bet he would have at BC too.

No kidding BC is a better program than Northeastern So much better that every one of their recruits would be bumping NU forwards off the top lines? Not a chance.

Comment

who said BC is arrogant.....

Comment

Maybe he thought the academics for his degree where better at Northeastern than BC. If his degree is anything involving science that is very likely to be the case.

Comment

Montreal signed a #1 pick, Harvard's Louis Leblanc; Now if BC's great forward Chris Kreider will just sign with the Rangers it will be a great off season for NHL fans, and bu fans.
                          Last edited by roma; 08-01-2010, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Going from being coached by Jerry York to being coached by Cronin is like jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

Comment

Originally posted by biggd View Post
                              Going from being coached by Jerry York to being coached by Cronin is like jumping from the frying pan into the fire.
                              Tell that to the Northeastern players or the players who played for him at U Maine. They are blindly loyal to him. BC coach is a class act times ten but I would bet 50 to 1 that Northeastern players have more interaction and a closer relationship to him than the BC players do to their head coach.

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                                but I would bet 50 to 1 that Northeastern players have more interaction and a closer relationship to him than the BC players do to their head coach.
                                What does this even mean?

Comment

Working...
                                X