Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2009 College Hockey Showcase (Minn, Wis, Mich. MSU)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2009 College Hockey Showcase (Minn, Wis, Mich. MSU)

Originally posted by VarsityWisconsin View Post
    This "joke" of a team is 5 spots higher than UND in the PWR and 2 spots behind Denver. And, yes, the PWR doesn't mean anything until the end of the season, but it does mean that to this point the Badgers have been a more impressive team from the schedule of games that they played. They only have one bad loss at Minnesota St where McDonaugh and Smith lost their cool and committed penalties that cost them the game. I have no problem with the loss to Minnesota because they are the most talented team in the conference which goes to speak of how much they are underachieving.
    If only the PWR meant something before all the games were played....

Minnesota is not the most talented team in the conference. I think Denver is.
    Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
    Originally posted by Quizmire
    mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
    MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
    MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
    I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

If you go by NHL draftees in the top rounds, I believe Minny has Denver beat, but I could be wrong.
      Wisconsin - The real State of hockey.

Comment

If you go by NHL draftees in the top rounds, I believe Minny has Denver beat, but I could be wrong.
        That's not what I'm going by...

MNS - forking genius.

MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Well I'm going by NHL scouting. They might know hockey talent better than you do.

Comment

You can't judge talent by NHL draft choices. The Gophers are the best example of that this year.

Comment

Well I'm going by NHL scouting. They might know hockey talent better than you do.
              They draft based on how they think they will play in the NHL...not how good they will be in college. Look at Jeff Frazee. He was terrible at Minnesota, but now is an AHL All-Star...

Not to mention how many of those (Patrick White anyone?) have been busts.

MNS - forking genius.

I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Once again, I'm talking about talent. I'm not talking about how well a player will mesh with a college team. Talent doesn't always equal wins, but when Minnesota is right, they can beat anybody in the nation. They just aren't doing the little things to win games. I can use NHL scouting to measure talent because they are the best in the business at doing so. If you want to talk about best college players, that is a different story because nobody's like Genoway and Duncan enter the mix then.

Patrick White sure didn't look like a bust in the UW series. He lit us up for 2 goals and an assist. Exactly my point. Minnesota has guys like him who are just as good as anybody in the country and when they decide to do the dirty work to win games, they are among the best.

Comment

If you want to talk about best college players, that is a different story because nobody's like Genoway and Duncan enter the mix then.
                  Well, we're talking about a college team, so yes, we should be talking about college players...

MNS - forking genius.

I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                    Well, we're talking about a college team, so yes, we should be talking about college players...
                    No, no, no, you're crazy.
                    I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Talent is talent and it applies to all levels of play... even college hockey. I thought that was kind of obvious, but apparently it isn't to those northerners.

Comment

VW: first off, you are a moron. Secondly, WI is not a team on the same level as DU or UND. I place them as a 4th-6th place team, depending on many variables (including ones that don't involve talent).

MN, while having supposed individual talent, is not a team right now. I don't know if they will be. There is no gelling to this team yet, and I don't see it happening this year. It pains me to say this, but after tonight, I (of all people) am veering to Scoobydom. Maybe I'll wake up tomorrow and have some more Kool-Aid, I don't know.

But your statement of WI being able to play with anyone? Hah! Hilarious. A blind squirrel only finds a nut once in a while, maybe.
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

We'll let the next few months decide that.

Comment

Talent is talent and it applies to all levels of play... even college hockey. I thought that was kind of obvious, but apparently it isn't to those northerners.
                            VW - Talent on paper doesn't mean jack chit. I think our MN friend below was saying that. UW 1992 had all the talent in the world. In the end it didn't matter. Same with Michigan in like 97 or so w/Morrison, Botterill et al.

What matters is who wins, period.

As for NHL scouts. Are you serious? the same guys who passed on Brian Rafalski in college, and he had to go to Europe to get respect? Those guys?

The same dummies who drafted Rob Lurtsema (who IIRC didn't do jack **** for UW in two years on the team)?

NHL scouts put a premium on size first, skill second unless you're unbelievable like Crosby. After that, I mean c'mon. Why did it take so long for them to realize the talent rich NCAA players could kick *** up there?

I'd give *some* college recruiters as much or more cred that NHL scouts....yes, definitely.
                            Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                              VW - Talent on paper doesn't mean jack chit. I think our MN friend below was saying that. UW 1992 had all the talent in the world. In the end it didn't matter. Same with Michigan in like 97 or so w/Morrison, Botterill et al.

What matters is who wins, period.

As for NHL scouts. Are you serious? the same guys who passed on Brian Rafalski in college, and he had to go to Europe to get respect? Those guys?

The same dummies who drafted Rob Lurtsema (who IIRC didn't do jack **** for UW in two years on the team)?

NHL scouts put a premium on size first, skill second unless you're unbelievable like Crosby. After that, I mean c'mon. Why did it take so long for them to realize the talent rich NCAA players could kick *** up there?

I'd give *some* college recruiters as much or more cred that NHL scouts....yes, definitely.

To take it to the extreme:

Craig Patrick: You're missing some of the best players.
                              Herb Brooks: I'm not looking for the best players, Craig. I'm looking for the right ones.
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                                To take it to the extreme:

Craig Patrick: You're missing some of the best players.
                                Herb Brooks: I'm not looking for the best players, Craig. I'm looking for the right ones.
                                Well Herb was right and he proved it at the NCAA and Olympic level.
                                Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X