Preliminary Computer Rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preliminary Computer Rankings

It is early, so early that the interlock teams are not included. To make sure the changes that I made in my program worked, I ran my rankings through games of Thursday. Two things to note: teams with less than four games have been deleted from the list. The fact that the ECAC NE/MASCAC/NE10 teams have basically only played each other means that until more "mixing" occurs in the schedule, the rankings of the top teams in those leagues is likely to be inflated.

The rankings this year are on an SAT-like scale - the mean score is 500, and theoretically a team could get a rating as high as 800 or as low as 200. The lowest ranked team btw is Johnson and Wales at 307

With those warnings, here's the "pre-initial" top 10 teams

Code:
    1	OSW	672
    2	SNB	642
    3	ADR	626
    4	PLT	625
    5	ELM	624
    6	WEN	619		
    7	MAR	610
    8	PLY	603
    9	FIT	600
    10	WRF	598
    Last edited by NUProf; 11-20-2009, 01:25 PM.
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Re: Preliminary Computer Rankings

To update - these rankings include only teams that have played at least 4 games. The following factors are included in the calculations:

Winning Percentage
    Winning Percentage of the teams you have defeated (0 is used if you haven't beaten anyone)
    OWP
    OOWP
    OOOWP

Code:
    1	OSW	678
    2	SNB	676
    3	ELM	625
    4	MAR	612
    5	PLT	608
    6	FIT	607
    7	ADR	607
    8	WEN	592
    9	UMD	578
    10	WSR	575
    Surprises - Marian and Fitchburg - in the early season, teams which play in leagues that haven't played many non-league games will exhibit very volatile behavior in these rankings, especially with regard to the winning percentage of the teams that you have defeated. I'm still tweeking the weightings of the factors, right now all are weighted equally,

The scale is the familiar SAT type scale (200-800 with a mean of 500)

After Primelink weekend, when everybody has played at least 4 games, we will publish the whole list.

Comment

Computer rankings? Smells like the BCS. Oh no, someone stop these rankings! We need to go to a playoff system. Oh wait...phew. Got a little excited there for a second.

Comment

Originally posted by AGPennypacker View Post
        Computer rankings? Smells like the BCS. Oh no, someone stop these rankings! We need to go to a playoff system. Oh wait...phew. Got a little excited there for a second.
        Don't calm down too much. The arcane, obscure, and foggy procedures of the NCAA D-III men's ice hockey selection committee are legendary.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
          Don't calm down too much. The arcane, obscure, and foggy procedures of the NCAA D-III men's ice hockey selection committee are legendary.
          It's not fog - its smoke - and I have reason to believe it might not come from tobacco.
          Larry Normandin
          SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
          WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            Yeah, but if you win your conference that should get you in, or at least a legitimate shot to get in. Oh wait, there's the Adrian exception (insert Boise State reference here, ad nauseum). I know this has been beat up in other threads, but just couldn't help myself.

Comment

Originally posted by AGPennypacker View Post
              Yeah, but if you win your conference that should get you in, or at least a legitimate shot to get in. Oh wait, there's the Adrian exception (insert Boise State reference here, ad nauseum). I know this has been beat up in other threads, but just couldn't help myself.
              This year the Adrian exception will be called the Salem State exception

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                This year the Adrian exception will be called the Salem State exception
                It all depends how we do OOC. UMD over Babson offset UMB over Framingham St.

I think the MASCAC champion has about a 5-10% chance of making the tournament. But, as long as there is hope, you gotta play the games.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I honestly think that each division should have an automatic qualifier and make the tourney a little bigger. This would end all the questions on teams that get left out each year. And by the way very nice rankings may i ask wht type of code you are useing ?

Comment

Working...
                  X