Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UML Recruiting 2010 and beyond

Originally posted by Rox22 View Post
    Pendenza played very well. Good skater, passes well, seemed to have pretty good vision as well as a decent shot. He was good defensively but stuggled when they put him on defense on the penalty kill. It seemed like an odd decision to put him back there anyway so I wouldn't worry about it.

They had Maclean in net instead of Massie so I can't report on him. Although in yet another sign of confirmation that he's heading back to the River Hawks, he's still wearing his red and blue Lowell mask.
    Thanks for the info Rox22.

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
      Winger.

BTW Bob, I'd love for the Hawks to go after Esposito.
      Agree, I also like the sound of Yeadon's game. It seems strange to be talking about recruits that are still a couple of years or more away from arriving at UML. Times have changed.
      Joey Yeadon. Only a junior. Unsigned. High energy, was all over the ice.

Comment

Josh Holmstrom, brother of Ben, has committed to UML for 2010. A 9/5/89 DOB, he's put up a 2-8-10 for Sioux Falls (also where Ben played) in the USHL this year (in 16 games). I'll update the recruit page on my site shortly.
        From the Sioux Falls site.
        http://www.sfstampede.com/index.php?...d=900&Itemid=2

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
          Agree, I also like the sound of Yeadon's game. It seems strange to be talking about recruits that are still a couple of years or more away from arriving at UML. Times have changed.
          Yeadon's dad went to Lowell in the mid to late 70s, just before the championship years, scoring 103 pts in 94 games.

On the radio show a few weeks ago they were talking about recruiting and how a former player was in visiting with his son. Blaise said that he couldn't talk about it, then Chaz said that it was good to see Barry Yeadon visiting, and asked if other former players had kids interested in coming here.
          Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
          "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Originally posted by ScottK View Post
            Yeadon's dad went to Lowell in the mid to late 70s, just before the championship years, scoring 103 pts in 94 games.

On the radio show a few weeks ago they were talking about recruiting and how a former player was in visiting with his son. Blaise said that he couldn't talk about it, then Chaz said that it was good to see Barry Yeadon visiting, and asked if other former players had kids interested in coming here.
            I'm not a "positive energy" type... but **** there's a lot of positive energy around the program. We're building things and if you want to enjoy the ride then hop on the train.
            BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
            Skating Friar Jersey
            AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
            UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
            Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by ScottK View Post

Yeadon's 5'11", 183 and a '93. He's currently got a 1-2-3 line in 18 games. He played for the Jr Bs Midget team last season, putting up a 9-7-16 in 32 games. Of course, he's currently playing for a team that's sending two players to Lowell next season, who will be replacing the two Jr Bs leaving after this season.

Thanks for the info Scott, I hadn't known his dad was a Lowell player.
              Originally posted by Patman View Post
              I'm not a "positive energy" type... but **** there's a lot of positive energy around the program. We're building things and if you want to enjoy the ride then hop on the train.
              That's exactly it, but I believe it'll only continue if our drop off next year isn't terrible. I think we all understand there'll be a drop, but if we remain within home ice competition, I think this program can continue to get better. Recruiting (especially when you're not one of the big programs) is definitely a what have you done for me lately type of thing, IMO.
              Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
              2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
              2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
              2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
              2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

That's exactly it, but I believe it'll only continue if our drop off next year isn't terrible. I think we all understand there'll be a drop, but if we remain within home ice competition, I think this program can continue to get better. Recruiting (especially when you're not one of the big programs) is definitely a what have you done for me lately type of thing, IMO.

I think it will be important to take advantage of this (and last) season's success. If you can get a few game breakers lined up (and you have some nice recruits), then other kids will follow, especially if the fans stay into it next season. Even if there's a dropoff (even a big one), if a recruit comes in to visit and you have 4500+ in the stands going nuts, he won't remember the outcome of the game, he'll remember the atmosphere, and know the caliber of teammate waiting at UML.

It's very hard when you aren't BC/BU/Michigan/etc, but it can be done.

IMO, the best thing Lowell has done is going into the USHL more...kids from that league are ready to play D1 from the moment they step on campus. Even if they're not your top end players, you can get some real quality organizational depth.
                It's easy to root for a winner...

Comment

Originally posted by justinD View Post
                  I think it will be important to take advantage of this (and last) season's success. If you can get a few game breakers lined up (and you have some nice recruits), then other kids will follow, especially if the fans stay into it next season. Even if there's a dropoff (even a big one), if a recruit comes in to visit and you have 4500+ in the stands going nuts, he won't remember the outcome of the game, he'll remember the atmosphere, and know the caliber of teammate waiting at UML.

It's very hard when you aren't BC/BU/Michigan/etc, but it can be done.

IMO, the best thing Lowell has done is going into the USHL more...kids from that league are ready to play D1 from the moment they step on campus. Even if they're not your top end players, you can get some real quality organizational depth.
                  I agree, especially on getting into the USHL. Lowell currently has four players from the USHL on their team, one frosh, 3 seniors. They have commitments from 4 currently playing in the USHL now (along with a 5th that was just traded to the BCHL). I don't think any of the kids that they have commitments for are all that high rated, but they're solid players.
                  Monty

2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                  2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

An article on Tyler Brickler and his joining the Westside Warriors (BCHL). He played his first game last night and was held scoreless.
                    http://www.kelowna.com/2009/11/25/wa...ard-from-ushl/

Comment

if all of lowell's recruits for the rest of time came from the USHL and BCHL that would be awesome. those have been, for the most part, can't-miss.

also brickler's coach was a merrimack assistant a year or two ago.

Comment

Any update on Doug Carr ? - goalie that plays in same league as Shayne Thompson.

Comment

Stats for UML recruits through last night ...
                          Code:
                          Name                POS  TEAM (League)                HT   WT   DOB     GP  G  A  PTS  PIM
                          Tyler Brickler      LW   Westside Warriors (BCHL)   5'11  175  01/27/91  3  0  0    0    2
                          Nick Curry          RW   Springfield Jr Blues (NAHL) 6'0  185  11/02/89 26 10 21   31   20
                          Josh Holmstrom      RW   Sioux Falls Stampede (USHL) 6'0  175  09/05/89 17  2  9   11   12
                          Julian Melchiori    LD   Newmarket Hurricanes (CCHL) 6'1  180  12/06/91 22  6 13   19   10
                          Joe Pendanza        LW   Boston Jr. Bruins (EJHL)   5'10  180  11/22/90 21  8 15   23    8
                          Will Rayner         RD   Lincoln Stars (USHL))       6'1  190  01/19/90  5  0  0    0    6
                          Chad Ruhwedel       RD   Sioux Falls Stampede (USHL)5'11  170  05/07/90 17  2  6    8    8
                          Shayne Thompson     LW   Brockville Braves (CJHL)   5'11  195  06/13/89 30 19 29   48   36

Name                POS  TEAM (League)                HT   WT   DOB     GP  W  L  T  %       GAA
                          Marc Boulanger       G   Olds Grizzlys (AJHL)       5'11  165  03/27/90 18  7  8  3 89.6%   3.00
                          T.J. Massie          G   Boston Jr Bruins (EJHL)    5'11  165  05/03/90 14  4  5  2 91.3%   3.05

Name                POS  TEAM (League)                HT   WT   DOB     GP  G  A  PTS  PIM
                          William Eiserman    LD   NH Jr. Monarchs (EJHL)     5'11  187  07/21/92 13  0  6    6   10
                          Colton Saucerman    RD   Des Moines Bucaneers (USHL) 5'9  170  05/05/92 20  0  0    0   40
                          Terrence Wallin     RW   The Gunnery                5'10  166  04/06/92  0  0  0    0    0

Name                POS  TEAM (League)                HT   WT   DOB     GP  W  L  T  %       GAA
                          Chris Eiserman       G   NH Jr. Monarchs (EJHL)      6'3  210  07/28/93 12 10  1  0 92.3%   2.30
                          *Pendanza's 6 PPG are tied for second in the EJHL.
                          *Thompson's 48 points have currently 8h in CJHL scoring.
                          *Melchiori's 19 points have him ninth amongst all defensemen in the CCHL. He missed four games playing for Team Canada East in the World Junior A Challenge.
                          *C. Eiserman is currently fourth in the EJHL in GAA and fifth in save %.
                          *TJ Massie is currently eighth in the EJHL in GAA and ninth in save %.
                          *Brickler was traded to the Westside Warriors on November 18th. While with Sioux City, his numbers were 0-3-3 in just 5 games played.
                          *Wallin's Gunnery season starts on December 5th.
                          *Rayner was placed on the 45 day IR in mid-October.
                          *Curry is 3rd in the NAHL in scoring.
                          Monty

Comment

From yesterday's Chaz Scoggins article in the Lowell Sun.
                            http://www.lowellsun.com/hockey/ci_13889268

NHL teams are said to be making their moves on a pair of talented juniors, All-American defenseman Maury Edwards and center Scott Campbell.
                            I've kind of forgotten about the possibility of Campbell leaving early too.

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                              From yesterday's Chaz Scoggins article in the Lowell Sun.
                              http://www.lowellsun.com/hockey/ci_13889268

I've kind of forgotten about the possibility of Campbell leaving early too.
                              Yeah, I'd say he's earned the looks. Easy to forget as we don't seem to have people looking at a player to snag them early, much less two in a year.
                              Gary

www.umlhockey.com
                              Unofficial Home of Lowell Hockey

182nd member to 2,000 posts
                              "It's like putting lipstick on a pig." Chris MacKenzie says, speaking of the fresh paint on the visiting locker room at Alfond.
                              KnowItAll: "I have little respect for the imagination and creativity of a person who can only think of ONE way to spell a word."

Comment

Shayne Thompson out with shoulder injury. His team - Brockville Braves - have won 13 straight games.

Comment

Working...
                                X