Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fall/Spring transfer eligibility guidelines ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fall/Spring transfer eligibility guidelines ???

Can someone explain the eligibility rules if a student transfers mid year, also if they don't play for the new school in the winter semester will they have lost that years eligibility.

Re: Fall/Spring transfer eligibility guidelines ???

Originally posted by jemica View Post
    Can someone explain the eligibility rules if a student transfers mid year, also if they don't play for the new school in the winter semester will they have lost that years eligibility.
    If they were eligible at their original school, they are eligible at the new school as soon as they are considered enrolled there - typically the first day of classes. If they practiced with the team at the original school beyond the first game of the season, they have used a season of eligibility whether they played in a game or not. If they didn't practice after the first game, and don't play at the new school, they don't use up a season.
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
      If they were eligible at their original school, they are eligible at the new school as soon as they are considered enrolled there - typically the first day of classes. If they practiced with the team at the original school beyond the first game of the season, they have used a season of eligibility whether they played in a game or not. If they didn't practice after the first game, and don't play at the new school, they don't use up a season.
      NUProf, that was an excellent answer to a common question. Do the same rules apply if the change of schools is between semesters and is there a limitation on how many times a player can change schools?

Comment

Originally posted by bayliner2555 View Post
        NUProf, that was an excellent answer to a common question. Do the same rules apply if the change of schools is between semesters and is there a limitation on how many times a player can change schools?
        The change must be between terms, so (of course) you could only do this once per season. If you move to DI, it's a whole different set of rules. As for a limitation on number of transfers during an career, I don't know of one, but practically speaking that's more a theoretical question than an actual one.

Comment

So you feel that even if they practice without dressing for any game before the transfer that season eligibility starts....I was also told that as long as they don't play in a game or organized scrimmage with the team that they would not have used up any eligibility......

Comment

NUProf doesn't miss on too many of these.
            FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
              NUProf doesn't miss on too many of these.
              I often wondered if he moonlighted as a compliance officer.
              “You drive by some of these rinks in the winter and there isn't anybody out there. It's kind of sad, actually...Here it’s go to the rink, pay for your ice time and practice for an hour where we could just walk to the rink and skate for four hours if we wanted to...It was just a lot of fun. I wish I could go back and be eight years old for a couple days" -Neal Broten

2010-11 DIII Commitments
              19gp, (23-24-47), +27

Comment

I don't know, but I learned pretty quickly that when he speaks on matters like this, it's best to get out of the way, sit back, shut up, and listen. Chances are that I'm going to learn something.
                FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by jemica View Post
                  So you feel that even if they practice without dressing for any game before the transfer that season eligibility starts....I was also told that as long as they don't play in a game or organized scrimmage with the team that they would not have used up any eligibility......
                  They can practice until the first game of the season with no loss of eligibility. If you practice after the first game you have used a year of eligibility. The purpose of this rule is to make it impossible for someone to "red shirt" in DIII, but allow someone who is cut during tryouts to transfer and not lose eligibility if he doesn't play until the following season. (This is part of the DIII "reform" package that was pushed by the NESCAC a few years ago)
                  Last edited by NUProf; 11-19-2009, 04:51 PM.

Comment

They can practice until the first game of the season with no loss of eligibility. If you practice after the first game you have used a year of eligibility. The purpose of this rule is to make it impossible for someone to "red shirt" in DIII, but allow someone who is cut during tryouts to transfer and not lose eligibility if he doesn't play until the following season. (This is part of the DIII "reform" package that was pushed by the NESCAC a few years ago)
                    Thank you very much, that makes it clear.....by the way would you know of a web site or page that explains eligibility rules and two sport athletes, most of what I have found is related to freshman

Comment

Prof

Before you make the trip down the interstate to Maine, do you want to explain the medical redshirt?
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        Prof

Before you make the trip down the interstate to Maine, do you want to explain the medical redshirt?
                        This is operating from memory, but as I recall if a player suffers a season ending injury in the first quarter of the season, he can petition the NCAA for an additional season of eligibility. No guarantees that the NCAA will grant it, but if they do and he recovers enough to be able to practice with the team he can as part of his injury rehab.

I'd like to be going down the road to the games, but I'm either going to go to the women's game vs. UMB or listen to WDEV tonight - my wife is working today.

Comment

I'd like to be going down the road to the games, but I'm either going to go to the women's game vs. UMB or listen to WDEV tonight - my wife is working today.
                          And this is a problem??
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                          X