2010 Frozen Four - Detroit - Fans Helping Fans Travel Guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2010 Frozen Four - Detroit - Fans Helping Fans Travel Guide

For people looking for hotel rooms, my wife is a travel agent and has a block of rooms booked at the Hilton Garden Inn (1 block from Ford Field) for $150, plus tax. It includes breakfast for up to 4 per room. She recently priced other hotels in the area. Courtyard $169, Marriott $199, MGM $249 1st 2 nights, $299.00 2nd 2 nights, Greektown $299, Detroit Regency $179.99. E-mail her if interested: tamara@classictravelusa.com

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
      Got mine today. Had to sign for them (like last year).
      strange... i have never had to sign for mine... got mine on monday...

Comment

I still don't have mine as we're not around during the day to sign for them and they won't leave them without being signed for. But they did leave my Bauer XXV on the steps last night!
        Last edited by Nick Papagiorgio; 03-10-2010, 03:15 PM.
        Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
        The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Congrats to RIT, BC, Wisconsin, and Miami! We look forward to hosting you here in Detroit. Welcome to all the Frozen Four regulars as well.

With the help of a few friends I have compiled a comprehensive fan experience guide with hotel/restaurant/transportation/entertainment etc. information. I will make sure to post it in the morning. I hope it helps some of you navigate Motown if this is your first trip here.
          MICHIGAN STATE
          1966:1986:2007

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Blanks View Post
            I would suggest staying in Troy at one of the hotels on Big Beaver. It's a 15 minute drive down I-75 to Detroit.
            I live in Troy. It's more like 25 minutes. I've made it in 22 driving really fast. Heavy traffic, try more like 35. The shopping is good out here if that's important to you. Downtown has no shopping worth speaking of.

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
            As for the relative "safety" of Detroit- downtown is fine. Been there, walked all over downtown at 2am, and I've not had problems. Walking a half mile down Woodward to the game should not be an issue.
            Agreed. Downtown is essentially bounded by the Lodge Freeway (M-10) on the west, I-75 on the north, I-375 on the east, and the river on the south. I'm never worried in that zone. Drive-by shootings don't happen downtown; it's not gangland. I've heard of an occasional mugging, but no more than in any other big city. Just use your common sense and be alert. Especially in numbers, you should be fine.

Most parts of midtown are also relatively safe. It's bordered by I-75 on the south and east, I-94 on the north, and the Lodge (M-10) on the west. There are a few dingy areas there (it's a large area), but you really have no reason to be wandering into them. Stay to the main places along Woodward (the main drag), exercise common sense, and again, you should be fine.

Originally posted by moe24 View Post
            But you do need to make sure you stay within a VERY strict definition of downtown. Just one block too far in any direction can lead you into a world of trouble. And DO NOT go anywhere near the People Mover, not only is it nearly useless, there is a reason the locals call it the "Mugger Mover".
            I've never had the slightest bit of trouble on the People Mover, even at night. You are correct that it is almost useless, except to get from Greektown to Joe Louis Arena. Unlike the Joe, Ford Field is a fairly short walk from Greektown.
            Last edited by MichFan; 03-28-2010, 11:37 PM. Reason: Addition

Comment

The downtown definition of safety is not exactly "stay in the loop or you will die." The neighborhood to the east, Lafayette Park (where i lived for 3 years until 2009) and the Riverfront are both very safe, as is Corktown and Mexicantown to the west. There is a 3/4 mile stretch of desolation between downtown and the midtown area. This area is however safe along Woodward. I walk that corridor often and there is really no problems. It's the areas between Cass and Grand River that have some problems, thanks to many missions and shelters in the area.
              MICHIGAN STATE

Comment

Im staying at the Double Tree downtown...close enough right? I think that will be fine.
                BOSTON COLLEGE EAGLES: 2010 2008 2001 1949

Comment

Originally posted by jamie9248922 View Post
                  Im staying at the Double Tree downtown...close enough right? I think that will be fine.
                  That is an excellent hotel that just opened a year ago. You are walking distance to all of the downtown spots...and if you chose just 1 block to the People Mover (train to nowhere). The Finn and Porter on the first floor has very good steaks. Also check out the Anchor Bar just a block east on Lafayette, it is a traditional hockey bar. 1 Block west is "John K King Bookstore" which is the largest used bookstore in the world. It is a fovorite hangout for Jay Leno and others. Their sports section ac5ually has several college hockey classics.
                  Last edited by STATEdude3; 03-28-2010, 11:57 PM.
                  MICHIGAN STATE

Comment

A quick reminder that we are hosting a pick up hockey game for Posers at Yost Ice Arena, Saturday April 10, noon-2pm.

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...04#post4728304

Comment

• Re: 2010 Frozen Four - Detroit - Fans Helping Fans Travel Guide

Originally posted by jamie9248922 View Post
                      And you can walk to the game from there. Walk to Washington, up to Grand Circus, and you'll see Ford Field just past Comerica. probably a 10-15 min walk. Been there, done that...

The Ford Shelby is a really nice hotel- make sure you get the warm cookies. The only issue we've had (stayed there twice) is that the front desk can sometimes be unorganized. So come with a paitent hat on.

Comment

My group has one extra room at the Marriott Renaissance. $140 per night.
                        Originally posted by mookie1995
                        bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                        Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                        Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Since the Tiger's home opener is Friday, most of the hotels downtown are probably booked. I really liked the revamped Fort-Shelby hotel. Two of us stayed there for a Tiger's game, with a standard 2 bed room had a "living" area, and 2 flat screens. I would recommend the vallet parking option (30 bucks) and unless you plan on going out to Dearborn or another suburb just to park it and take the people mover wherever you needed to go downtown. Just get off at Grand Circus Park and walk the 2 blocks to FF.

For safety, just be smart. I have been downtown countless times and have never had a problem walking around. I've walked from Greektown back to the Ren Cen after midnight and never felt unsafe. Police are everywhere downtown. As in any large city, there is going to be crime, but if you're going expecting to get mugged and robbed, then you're not going to have a good time.

Stay safe, be smart, and have a great time! You'll be pleasantly surprised!

Comment

ok guys here ya go...I put this together with some help from some friends around town. I live a couple blocks from Ford Field and I frequent all of the downtown businesses. If you have any questions feel free to throw out some questions in this thread and I'll do my best to answer them.

As for the suburbs...I can answer questions about traveling to and from them, but that is about it. I don't do much out there but drive around, but I'm sure the other posters here can help out with that.

Welcome to Detroit!

link to the 2010 frozen four fans helping fans visitors guide
                            http://www.mediafire.com/?2nw2bznymjn
                            Last edited by STATEdude3; 03-29-2010, 08:59 AM.
                            MICHIGAN STATE

Comment

For those staying downtown, merchandise will be available at Ford Field (obviously) and various temporary locations. Also, there are two sports apparel shops downtown that have told me they will be carrying Frozen Four gear:

Fanatic U on Monroe Street in the Greektown district, and the Detroit Locker Room located on the 2nd level of the Millender Center (complex that includes the Courtyard by Marriott). Give local vendors your business, not the NCAA people at Ford Field!!
                              MICHIGAN STATE

Comment

Originally posted by STATEdude3 View Post
                                For those staying downtown, merchandise will be available at Ford Field (obviously) and various temporary locations. Also, there are two sports apparel shops downtown that have told me they will be carrying Frozen Four gear:

Fanatic U on Monroe Street in the Greektown district, and the Detroit Locker Room located on the 2nd level of the Millender Center (complex that includes the Courtyard by Marriott). Give local vendors your business, not the NCAA people at Ford Field!!
                                Here's the big question: Is there a place where I can buy a Red Wings t-shirt with Patrick Eaves' name on the back?

Comment

Working...
                                X