2010 Frozen Four - Detroit - Fans Helping Fans Travel Guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2010 Frozen Four - Detroit - Fans Helping Fans Travel Guide

Making my 6th consecutive F4 trip to Detroit. We secured a condo for the weekend on John R St. It is about a 1/2 mile north of the Comerica Park/Ford Field complex on the other side of I-75.

We're looking for a good bar to go to. The kind that isn't too fancy, not too pricey, and not so loud you can't hear yourself think. Within walking distance of my destination, could any of you locals recommend some good choices? It would be much appreciated.
    Originally posted by Skeeterman
    Ski yo momma!
    Originally Asked by Grant Potulny (After noticing an autograph seeker was wearing SCSU colors.)
    Who do you cheer for in the post season?

Comment

Originally posted by skiumah2 View Post
      Making my 6th consecutive F4 trip to Detroit. We secured a condo for the weekend on John R St. It is about a 1/2 mile north of the Comerica Park/Ford Field complex on the other side of I-75.

We're looking for a good bar to go to. The kind that isn't too fancy, not too pricey, and not so loud you can't hear yourself think. Within walking distance of my destination, could any of you locals recommend some good choices? It would be much appreciated.
      Unfortunately, there isn't anything I can recommend within walking distance of that location. I can't even comfortably say that you SHOULD walk from that location. I think your best bet is to stick around Comerica Park or Woodward. A cab should cost about 5 bucks. 2 places I would look at are: The Town Pump Tavern and Detroit Beer Co. If you want a hyped up touristy kind of bar you can go to Hockeytown Cafe or 5th Avenue Ballroom (pricey). Beer Co. has good food as well, but is a micro brewery ( I recommend the Detroit Dwarf). 5th Ave. has live music and is located in a corner of Comerica Park. There are some really "local" bars south of Ford Field/Comerica. If you go to google maps and search "Comerica Park" you can zoom in a bit and it shows a lot of bars. Everything (safe and worth the effort) is on the south side of 75.
      Anybody but Northern

Comment

My sister attends U of M and I come out once a year for a football game. So if you're flying in and looking for a good time I say rent a car and stay in Ann Arbor. It's not very far from Detroit and it's a little safer in my opinion.

Comment

There are some very fun places in "Midtown" Detroit. It is a very eclectic and diverse area that is loaded with young professionals and med students. I lived there for a year between stays at various places downtown. Check out "Union Street" on Woodward @ Alexandrine. They have some of the best food in the city and a great selection of Michigan made beers. Also "Majestic" is a nice bar, and "Atlas Global Bistro" is nice as well. If you are interested in a "real Detroit bar" wander over to "The Bronx" or my all-time favorite bar "Jumbos". There are a whole ton of gems in Midtown...the most important rule in Detroit is to not judge a place by the way it looks from the outside. 93% of crime victims in Detroit know their assailant...so ignore those people that tell you it's not safe around here. Just mind your business and you will find that the people here are very friendly and will welcome you appropriately.

As for the rink at campus martius...I got that information that it was closing at the regular mid-march date from the security guard while I was out walking my dog a couple weeks ago. For all I know he was just assuming. I will talk to someone I know at the Detroit 300 Conservancy and see what additional information I can get.
          Last edited by STATEdude3; 02-16-2010, 06:33 PM.
          MICHIGAN STATE
          1966:1986:2007

Comment

can anyone get me out on oakland hills??!?
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by STATEdude3 View Post
              As for the rink at campus martius...I got that information that it was closing at the regular mid-march date from the security guard while I was out walking my dog a couple weeks ago. For all I know he was just assuming. I will talk to someone I know at the Detroit 300 Conservancy and see what additional information I can get.
              you know about the visitors thing inside the compuware building, right? They should know something, too. They were very knowledgeable about what was going on, and who to talk to.

As for the relative "safety" of Detroit- downtown is fine. Been there, walked all over downtown at 2am, and I've not had problems. Walking a half mile down Woodward to the game should not be an issue.

Comment

There are some very fun places in "Midtown" Detroit. It is a very eclectic and diverse area that is loaded with young professionals and med students. There are a whole ton of gems in Midtown...the most important rule in Detroit is to not judge a place by the way it looks from the outside.
                I agree. I just found that some of those crowds can be a little stuck up at times. Rule #1 is just that, don't judge on apppearance. In fact, the nicer looking place tend to be the most expensive. Safety will not be an issue if you stick to Woodward. I have been out and about at all hours and felt safe at all times, I just wasn't sure about the particular condos.
                Anybody but Northern

Comment

Originally posted by scullyer View Post
                  Unfortunately, there isn't anything I can recommend within walking distance of that location. I can't even comfortably say that you SHOULD walk from that location. I think your best bet is to stick around Comerica Park or Woodward. A cab should cost about 5 bucks. 2 places I would look at are: The Town Pump Tavern and Detroit Beer Co. If you want a hyped up touristy kind of bar you can go to Hockeytown Cafe or 5th Avenue Ballroom (pricey). Beer Co. has good food as well, but is a micro brewery ( I recommend the Detroit Dwarf). 5th Ave. has live music and is located in a corner of Comerica Park. There are some really "local" bars south of Ford Field/Comerica. If you go to google maps and search "Comerica Park" you can zoom in a bit and it shows a lot of bars. Everything (safe and worth the effort) is on the south side of 75.
                  There are some very fun places in "Midtown" Detroit. It is a very eclectic and diverse area that is loaded with young professionals and med students. I lived there for a year between stays at various places downtown. Check out "Union Street" on Woodward @ Alexandrine. They have some of the best food in the city and a great selection of Michigan made beers. Also "Majestic" is a nice bar, and "Atlas Global Bistro" is nice as well. If you are interested in a "real Detroit bar" wander over to "The Bronx" or my all-time favorite bar "Jumbos". There are a whole ton of gems in Midtown...the most important rule in Detroit is to not judge a place by the way it looks from the outside. 93% of crime victims in Detroit know their assailant...so ignore those people that tell you it's not safe around here. Just mind your business and you will find that the people here are very friendly and will welcome you appropriately.

I had looked at the neighborhood on Google Earth and it didn't look to me that there was anything around there either. I figured we may have to stay near the 2 stadiums, and your information confirmed that for me. Thanks to both of you for all the suggestions.
                  Ski yo momma!
                  Originally Asked by Grant Potulny (After noticing an autograph seeker was wearing SCSU colors.)

Comment

Does anyone know when the Detroit Tigers opening day tickets go on sale for the Friday of the FF? Or are they already sold out ?

Thanks,
                    Last edited by Scott Biggar; 02-17-2010, 01:22 PM.
                    Scott Biggar
                    WITR - Voice of the RIT Tigers
                    Staff Writer - US College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                      can anyone get me out on oakland hills??!?
                      In the beginning of April? Probably not. If they are open, they wouldn't be real keen on letting a bunch of out-of-towners play. Good luck with that, though.
                      Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

If your actions speak louder than words, you're not yelling loud enough. - Stephen Colbert

You build. You paddle. You stand in awe of what your hands have made. - Pygmy Boats

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Biggar View Post
                        Does anyone know when the Detroit Tigers opening day tickets go on sale for the Friday of the FF? Or are they already sold out ?

Thanks,
                        We tried getting tickets for Friday but being opening day, the prices were almost $100 per ticket. We ended up buying tickets for the Saturday game at 1:00 PM for about $35 per ticket. Baseball in the afternoon, crown a hockey champion across the street later that night. It should be a great day.
                        Ski yo momma!

Comment

We tried getting tickets for Friday but being opening day, the prices were almost $100 per ticket. We ended up buying tickets for the Saturday game at 1:00 PM for about $35 per ticket. Baseball in the afternoon, crown a hockey champion across the street later that night. It should be a great day.
                          We go to opening day every year. You should still go downtown for the party. There will be 250,000 people milling around the park for 3-4 hours before game time. I've never purchased tickets beforehand either. There are hundreds of scalpers. Last year we waiting until about 15 minutes before the game started and picked up 2 tickets in the 5th row upperdeck behind home plate...$30 a piece. You can't go wrong at that price.
                          TECH STILL SUCKS!

Comment

I think my plan on the Friday is to get to Hockeytown early and just stay there and maybe roam over to the stadium and see about getting a cheap scalper ticket after the game starts. If not, no big deal, back to the bar.
                            Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Blanks View Post
                              We go to opening day every year. You should still go downtown for the party. There will be 250,000 people milling around the park for 3-4 hours before game time. I've never purchased tickets beforehand either. There are hundreds of scalpers. Last year we waiting until about 15 minutes before the game started and picked up 2 tickets in the 5th row upperdeck behind home plate...$30 a piece. You can't go wrong at that price.
                              Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
                              I think my plan on the Friday is to get to Hockeytown early and just stay there and maybe roam over to the stadium and see about getting a cheap scalper ticket after the game starts. If not, no big deal, back to the bar.
                              I'm pretty sure we'll be down there for that. Sounds like a blast! Thanks for the info.
                              Ski yo momma!

Comment

Originally posted by bluevox View Post
                                In the beginning of April? Probably not. If they are open, they wouldn't be real keen on letting a bunch of out-of-towners play. Good luck with that, though.
                                well i read that MI season starts 4/01. and i can call and try to use some of my connections, but it's always easiest to find a member to take me.

so i asked.

worse thing that can happen is i'm told 'no'. and that's where i am anyhows.
                                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Working...
                                X