New Poll Predictions for 11/16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Poll Predictions for 11/16

Back again this week...Not too much excitement in the rankings.

Here's my guess out how you'll see things pan out on Monday afternoon.

1.St. Norbert
    2.Oswego
    3.Plattsburgh
    4.Manhattanville
    5.Adrian
    6.Middlebury
    7.River Falls
    8.Stout
    9.St. Scholastica
    10.Amherst
    11.Norwich
    12.Superior
    13.Elmira
    14.Hobart
    15.Curry

Is the 5th spot the new 7th spot this year for Adrian until their meeting with Oswego on January 8th? Adrian was locked into that 7 spot last year no matter what they did and I have a feeling the 5th spot may turn into the same thing this year.

I dropped out Neumann because they did not seem like a top 15 team when I saw them on Friday night. Not sure what the hell Dawes was thinking when he started Tendler instead of McKinnon. McKinnon led Neumann to the title last year and held Elmira to one goal in the ECAC West semis and NCAA Play-In game last year. He had the Soaring Eagles number and when he came into the game, allowed just one goal again.

The 15th spot was a crapshoot. I was between Utica, Curry, and Wentworth. Went with Curry because they are traditionally the stronger team of that group.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Re: New Poll Predictions for 11/16

Prez, he got lit up against Utica, giving up 5 goals on 17 shots. Maybe the coach wanted to send him a message, maybe he's hurt, maybe he did make a mistake. But...I'm pretty sure he was thinking when he started someone else in net, at least

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
      Not sure what the hell Dawes was thinking when he started Tendler instead of McKinnon. McKinnon led Neumann to the title last year and held Elmira to one goal in the ECAC West semis and NCAA Play-In game last year.
      What does last year have to do with anything? I'm guessing that the 3.98gaa and .875 save percentage so far this season had something to do with it.
      “You drive by some of these rinks in the winter and there isn't anybody out there. It's kind of sad, actually...Here it’s go to the rink, pay for your ice time and practice for an hour where we could just walk to the rink and skate for four hours if we wanted to...It was just a lot of fun. I wish I could go back and be eight years old for a couple days" -Neal Broten

2010-11 DIII Commitments
      19gp, (23-24-47), +27

Comment

Originally posted by one_to7 View Post
        Prez, he got lit up against Utica, giving up 5 goals on 17 shots. Maybe the coach wanted to send him a message, maybe he's hurt, maybe he did make a mistake. But...I'm pretty sure he was thinking when he started someone else in net, at least
        I didn't say he wasn't thinking. I asked "what he was thinking"

I realize he got lit up against Utica and also realize hindsight is 20/20 but McKinnon absolutely had Elmira's number last season in those final two games. I was stunned when Tendler came out first for warm-ups.

His decision backfired majorly and cost Neumann a chance to win a big ECAC West game.

All I'm saying is based off how well Mckinnon played last year against Elmira, I just don't know how you can't start him especially in the Domes where he won those big games.
        GO LAKERS!!!
        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
        Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew Webb View Post
          What does last year have to do with anything? I'm guessing that the 3.98gaa and .875 save percentage so far this season had something to do with it.
          What do you mean what does last year have to do with anything? You've never had a goaltender that's played really well against one team or a couple of teams?

It happens all the time in sports where a quarterback completely owns a specific team because of the way they play, style, player's tendencies, etc or a basketball player goes for 30 or 40 against a team every time they play.

The kid plain and simple plays well against Elmira and he proved it again on Friday night making some big saves to only allow Elmira one goal once he came into the game.
          GO LAKERS!!!
          Oswego State '09

Comment

The kid plain and simple plays well against Elmira and he proved it again on Friday night making some big saves to only allow Elmira one goal once he came into the game.
            Never think in such absolute terms.

http://www.collegehockeystats.net/08...s/melmneu1.j24
            http://www.collegehockeystats.net/08...s/melmneu1.j03

He as 1-2-1 against Elmira last season and was pulled twice.
            “You drive by some of these rinks in the winter and there isn't anybody out there. It's kind of sad, actually...Here it’s go to the rink, pay for your ice time and practice for an hour where we could just walk to the rink and skate for four hours if we wanted to...It was just a lot of fun. I wish I could go back and be eight years old for a couple days" -Neal Broten

2010-11 DIII Commitments
            19gp, (23-24-47), +27

Comment

Never think in such absolute terms.

http://www.collegehockeystats.net/08...s/melmneu1.j24
              http://www.collegehockeystats.net/08...s/melmneu1.j03

He as 1-2-1 against Elmira last season and was pulled twice.
              I might be wrong didn't he beat Elmira twice? In the ECAC-W playoffs then again in the 1st round of the NCAA's and pulled twice? Iam not sure tho
              2006 ECAC WEST CHAMPS ELMIRA COLLEGE

Here We Go EC!!

In the Eagles Nest at the Domes

2009 D3 College Hockey Pool Champ

Comment

What do you mean what does last year have to do with anything? You've never had a goaltender that's played really well against one team or a couple of teams?

It happens all the time in sports where a quarterback completely owns a specific team because of the way they play, style, player's tendencies, etc or a basketball player goes for 30 or 40 against a team every time they play.

4 regular season games against elmira:

2 from 17 in 59 minutes
                4 from 13 in 27 minutes
                2 from 50 in 65 minutes
                4 from 18 in 20 minutes

That's 12 goals on 98 shots. That's below .880 for his save percentage, and over 4 for his GAA.

Yes, he played well in one regular season game against elmira, plus the 2 NCAA games, but he also played in 23 other games over the course of the season, including three other ones against elmira.

If you add up all his games against elmira, they're good, but not spectacular. Throw in his stats being pretty bad so far this year, and coming off a bad game against utica, and it's not really a 'what was he thinking??' moment that he chose to go with a different goalie.

Sidenote: kind of odd that neither team had more than 29 shots in the first two games, but every game at elmira saw at least one team with over 40.

Comment

Originally posted by Elmira_College-Fan View Post
                  I might be wrong didn't he beat Elmira twice? In the ECAC-W playoffs then again in the 1st round of the NCAA's and pulled twice? Iam not sure tho
                  You are correct. 2-2-1, I missed the NCAA game. Doesn't really change anything, though.

2010-11 DIII Commitments
                  19gp, (23-24-47), +27

Comment

You are correct. 2-2-1, I missed the NCAA game. Doesn't really change anything, though.
                    I guess agree to disagree. What I meant is if I was coaching Neumann, I would have gone with McKinnon based off what he did against Elmira in the two most crucial games they played against each other last year, not to mention his play was a big reason why Neumann won the National Championship.

I've seen Tendler and McKinnon play a fair amount of times now and I feel McKinnon gives the team the best chance to win and I think his resume is pretty darn good for a sophomore goaltender.
                    GO LAKERS!!!
                    Oswego State '09

Comment

I've seen Tendler and McKinnon play a fair amount of times now and I feel McKinnon gives the team the best chance to win and I think his resume is pretty darn good for a sophomore goaltender.
                      Don't go praising sophomore goaltenders... we all know what happened when people did that last year [cough]Hince[/cough].
                      Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                      SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                      ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                      NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                      NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                      NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                      NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Now this makes sense. Thinking one should play over another because you've seen them both play and one is better than the other is logical.

I guess agree to disagree. What I meant is if I was coaching Neumann, I would have gone with McKinnon based off what he did against Elmira in the two most crucial games they played against each other last year, not to mention his play was a big reason why Neumann won the National Championship.
                        Chocking it up to some mystical psychological Elmira Factor on the other hand, is not.

Just to name a few:

-MacKinnon hasn't been tearing it up this season, so maybe coach wanted to see what the other guy could do against a quality opponent. He allowed five goals on 12 shots in his prior start against Utica. Was pulled from the game.
                        -Maybe he was injured
                        -Maybe he was sick
                        -Maybe he was late for a team meeting and wasn't going to play barring emergency
                        -Maybe MacKinnon was lousy in practice all week
                        -Maybe Tendler was a stud in practice all week
                        -Maybe coach noticed some tendency for the team to play with more confidence out in front of Tendler
                        -Maybe Dawes **** well felt like it, which could be justiable for dozens of reasons
                        -Maybe none of the above
                        -Maybe, like me, you have no clue what the reality is here

Goaltending is a fickle thing. I'm aware of more than one instance where a coach was **** near "trying" to establish someone as a #1 and it never happened because someone else got in there and played so well there was never a reason to take him out.

Point is, there are a wide variety of reasons Tendler might have started Friday. Therefore, to say that "you don't know what the hell Dawes was thinking" is a ridiculous statement, but in a fun backwards sort of way.

You said it to imply his judgement was flawed, but it actually ends up a beautiful irony...because the truth is that you really have no clue what Dawes was thinking.
                        Last edited by Matthew Webb; 11-16-2009, 12:24 AM.

2010-11 DIII Commitments
                        19gp, (23-24-47), +27

Comment

I didn't know that there were poll predictions for which goalie a coach should start.

Comment

Back again this week...Not too much excitement in the rankings.

Is the 5th spot the new 7th spot this year for Adrian until their meeting with Oswego on January 8th? Adrian was locked into that 7 spot last year no matter what they did and I have a feeling the 5th spot may turn into the same thing this year.
                            You may be right about Adrian being a fixture in 5th position in the poll.
                            Still some great company at the top to be mentioned with.

The date with Oswego will be significant, however Adrian have a few games prior to Oswego that could result in movement ,including a couple of games against Hamline.
                            Last edited by NorthernLite; 11-16-2009, 12:14 PM.

Comment

New Polls are up... and I find it very intriguing. Oswego and Plattsburgh both lose First-Place votes without losing a single game. River Falls and Scholastica each move up 2 spots despite having gone 1-0-1 and 0-0-2, respectively, and Stout stays put despite being on the other end of Scholastica's 0-0-2 weekend.

Code:
                               1. St. Norbert           (16)     6-0-1     296     1
                               2. Oswego                         7-1-0     269     2
                               3. Plattsburgh                    4-1-0     255     3
                               4. Manhattanville        ( 2)     3-0-0     242     4
                               5. Adrian                ( 2)     4-0-0     214     5
                               6. Wis.-River Falls               5-1-1     183     8
                               7. Middlebury                     0-0-0     180     7
                               8. St. Scholastica                3-1-2     141     10
                               9. Wis.-Stout                     2-2-2     111     9
                              10. Amherst                        0-0-0     103     11
                              11. Elmira                         5-2-0      90     15
                              12. Norwich                        0-0-0      88     12
                              13. Neumann                        2-2-2      65     6
                              14. Hobart                         3-2-2      45     13
                              15. Wis.-Superior                  3-2-0      38     14
                              Others Recieving Votes: Curry 16, Gustavus Adolphus 15, Hamline 13,
                              Utica 8, Babson 7, St. Olaf 6, New England College 5, Castleton 3,
                              Marian 3, St. Thomas 3, Lawrence 1
                              Last edited by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh; 11-16-2009, 04:12 PM. Reason: Grammar fail
                              Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                              SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                              ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                              NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                              NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                              NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                              NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Working...
                              X