Syracuse in ECAC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Syracuse in ECAC?

While premature and I don't know what convolutions might be required to bring it about, upstate Syracuse seems most naturally to fit with the Ancient Eight and the four other upstate N Y teams in the ECAC. Yes, traditionally Syracuse would be grouped with other Big East foes in Hockey East- B C, UConn, etc., were they to move. And, it would make 13 in the ECAC an unlikely number to last long (for scheduling alone) and 14 might be considered too unwieldy. Especially as so many 'leagues' have way fewer members.

Were I A D as my team's results improved, which I expect for Syracuse, I might cast an eye in that direction- likely would. Is, in my humble opinion, as they say, the premier league, the ECAC (nationwide as to being known, purely such.)

Peering further into my crystal ball I don't see who might- don't see who , again, 'fits' (Colgate? ) to make a duo, and could eventually join them to round out the ECAC to fourteen. That IS a lot! Women's ice hockey continues to grow, however.

Re: Syracuse in ECAC?

Originally posted by papulaisle View Post
    While premature and I don't know what convolutions might be required to bring it about, upstate Syracuse seems most naturally to fit with the Ancient Eight and the four other upstate N Y teams in the ECAC. Yes, traditionally Syracuse would be grouped with other Big East foes in Hockey East- B C, UConn, etc., were they to move. And, it would make 13 in the ECAC an unlikely number to last long (for scheduling alone) and 14 might be considered too unwieldy. Especially as so many 'leagues' have way fewer members.

Were I A D as my team's results improved, which I expect for Syracuse, I might cast an eye in that direction- likely would. Is, in my humble opinion, as they say, the premier league, the ECAC (nationwide as to being known, purely such.)

Peering further into my crystal ball I don't see who might- don't see who , again, 'fits' (Colgate? ) to make a duo, and could eventually join them to round out the ECAC to fourteen. That IS a lot! Women's ice hockey continues to grow, however.
    Colgate is already in the ECAC.. Holy Cross has often come up as considering going to D-1..but not sure when, how, etc

Comment

I see several options to change the Status Quo:

1 - More D1 expansion for the CHA (Adding RIT for example)
      2 - Expand the ECAC to 16 and create an East-West allignment.
      .......You could add Syracuse, Niagara and Mercyhurst to the ECAC west.
      .......Then you would have to add WS and RMU to the WCHA.
      .......You would have to keep all the Ivies in one div, presumably ECAC East.
      3 - Once RIT comes into D1, add RIT and Cuse to ECAC.

There are many issues to consider with any of the above options.
      Last edited by OnMAA; 11-12-2009, 10:45 AM. Reason: allignment

Comment

Syracuse in ECAC?

Yes, thanks- was enroute to H Depot and started to do the numbers realizing I had taken Colgate out of ECAC, inadvertantly. SO is five teams and Ivy which make current twelve. Maybe, then UPenn might decide to activate women's ice hockey. They are, of course, doing a terrific job with lacrosee being one of two 'endowed' programs in the Ivy - the other Yale.

Comment

Yes, thanks- was enroute to H Depot and started to do the numbers realizing I had taken Colgate out of ECAC, inadvertantly. SO is five teams and Ivy which make current twelve. Maybe, then UPenn might decide to activate women's ice hockey. They are, of course, doing a terrific job with lacrosee being one of two 'endowed' programs in the Ivy - the other Yale.
          Geographic ECAC East - West Alignments:

East: Brown, Yale, Quin, Harvard, Dartmouth, Princeton
          West: Colgate, Cornell, Clarkson, SLU, Union, RPI

Problem is Cornell not with the other Ivies.

If you add Cuse and RIT, move Cornell

East: Brown, Yale, Quin, Harvard, Dartmouth, Princeton, Cornell
          West: Colgate, Clarkson, SLU, Union, RPI, Cuse, RIT.

Problem is heavy travel for Cornell.

If you then add Niagara and Hurst

East: Brown, Yale, Quin, Harvard, Dartmouth, Princeton, Union, RPI
          West: Colgate, Clarkson, SLU, Cornell, Cuse, RIT, Niagara, Hurst

Still a problem with split on Ivies, as geographically Union and RPI join the east in a 2x8 configuration.

As you can see many issues if you start tinkering with expansion in the ECAC.

Therefore I see the more natural evolution as an expansion of the CHA with the likes of RIT. Travel wise OHIO would also fit in the CHA.

Comment

Originally posted by sheba View Post
            Colgate is already in the ECAC.. Holy Cross has often come up as considering going to D-1..but not sure when, how, etc
            IIRC, Holy Cross is a D-I team. They just play a D-III schedule and offer no athletic scholarships.

Holy Cross is in-eligible to compete in the ECAC East playoffs and the NCAA D-III playoffs because of this fact I believe.
            The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
            "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
            GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
            GO LAKERS!!!
            GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
            Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
              IIRC, Holy Cross is a D-I team. They just play a D-III schedule and offer no athletic scholarships.

Holy Cross is in-eligible to compete in the ECAC East playoffs and the NCAA D-III playoffs because of this fact I believe.
              Holy Cross was seen as a virtual shoe-in to be added to the ECAC when Vermont departed as they were an excellent academic and geographic fit. Purportedly it was the Crusaders' reluctance to upgrade the women's program to full D-1 that doomed their candidacy and opened the door for Quinnipiac. Given the state of the economy and college endowments it would be quite a shock if they reversed course and increased funding for the program now.

Comment

Syracuse in ECAC?

I had not thought of an, 'East' and 'West' ECAC. Inevitably would be a logical solution. The Ivy' s might resist separation which is implied I think above. As in football seems teams jump around some as needs/likes determine. I have watched for a long time the tussle between the ACC and Big East, especially in Basketball- rooting usually for the Big East. And certainly conferences need to have sufficient numbers and be some allied as to region, I would expect.

We might move Brown out as per current blogs which would nicely solve this problem and allow for these six now ('neighborhood') upstate (NY) programs to face off ?

Comment

I had not thought of an, 'East' and 'West' ECAC. Inevitably would be a logical solution. The Ivy' s might resist separation which is implied I think above. As in football seems teams jump around some as needs/likes determine. I have watched for a long time the tussle between the ACC and Big East, especially in Basketball- rooting usually for the Big East. And certainly conferences need to have sufficient numbers and be some allied as to region, I would expect.

We might move Brown out as per current blogs which would nicely solve this problem and allow for these six now ('neighborhood') upstate (NY) programs to face off ?

You cannot compare womens hockey to Basketball and Football when it comes to conference allignments. Vastly different economics generate different driving forces.

Comment

I did try to do a half-hearted search to see what I might have missed but I couldn't find anything...therefore, I will bite.

Why was this thread started? I thought Syracuse was already in the CHA.

Comment

I suspect SU's thrilled being in the CHA -- it seems a perfect place to build its program. I'd guess any future conference aspirations might be dependent on whether SU's planning to start a men's program in the near future (3-5 years). If so, placing its teams in the same conference would seem a natural desire.

I'm also guessing that we're more likely to see the Ivies split off into their own conference (maybe take 3 or 4 schools from ECAC, CHA/AHA) than we are to see them willingly separated by divisions. The Ivies could likely work with a 13-team ECAC (which would also help the ECAC non-Ivies, which have scheduling challenges), but a 14-team league would probably not fly unless the Council of Ivy Group Presidents lift the scheduling ban currently imposed on member insitutions.

Comment

Syracuse AD Daryl Gross is all about winning and recognition. The ECAC has 12 teams and the CHA only has 5 so alot probably depends on the autobid waiver the NCAA women's ice hockey committee has recommended for the CHA.

Comment

Syracuse would be a great addition to the ECAC or to Hockey East. As noted above, when Vermont left the ECAC Holy cross was considered the best fit to replace Vermont, in part because of its excellent academic reputation. It was my impression that the reluctance to commit more to the Women's team was the reason that they didn't join. Niagara and Mercyhurst would seem to be a stretch in each case, since the ECAC has historically had a bit more focus on the academic side.

Comment

Coach Flanagan and the rest of Team are about winning as well not to mention the rest of the CHA this season. Each team has beaten or tied a ranked team or a team receiving votes this season. An Olympic year has produced a little parity in D1 and anything can happen. An expansion of the CHA is the wise move as more schools will apply to D1.
                            As OnMAA said moving Ohio to the CHA is logical making the division even more competative. 6 to 10 team divisions are the best size for a 32 to 36game sched. This also produces great rivalries between newer schools beyond the standard rivals.

Comment

Working...
                            X