Traveling in the ECAC - Places to Stay and Eat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traveling in the ECAC - Places to Stay and Eat

A few years ago there was a great thread about places to stay and eat when traveling with your team. I'm sure there are now a lot of additions and deletions. Any suggestions?

Re: Traveling in the ECAC - Places to Stay and Eat

Not sure how dated this link is, but it is pretty good...

http://www.chtg.net/

Comment

I'm making the trip in a few weeks down to Quinnipiac for the UMass game, and there isn't much info on where to eat on CHTG. Anybody have any good suggestions for a pre/post game meal?
      Let the Rebuilding Begin

Comment

A places to eat thread from the women's forum http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?t=78646. It covers all teams, not just the ECAC.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by umassfan49 View Post
          I'm making the trip in a few weeks down to Quinnipiac for the UMass game, and there isn't much info on where to eat on CHTG. Anybody have any good suggestions for a pre/post game meal?
          If you are looking for pre or post game at Quinnipiac, go to Eli's on Whitney or Eli's Brick Oven Pizza. They are across the road from each other at the same intersection. Eli's is more of a restauarant/bar and it's usually packed. The Pizza restaurant isn't as big but the thin crust pizza is good. Both places are a five-minute drive to or from the rink, so it's handy.

I didn't make it to either last weekend on my final trip to QPac, but I have been to both in previous years and I would recommend either of them.

Comment

Don't eat at Pizza Hut in Canton. [/obligatory]

Do eat pizza in New Haven.

Continuing with the theme, if you're feeling like pizza, go to EBA's in Hanover (note: I haven't been to Dartmouth in a while, so my info might be out of date), or to The Nines in Ithaca. (Budget extra time at both places.)

In Princeton, walk along Nassau Street and see what strikes your fancy, there are a bunch of good options along there. Don't be lazy and just stop at a random chain restaurant on Route 1 on your way into town. And if you're really in a hurry, there's a Wawa right near Baker Rink.
            Cornell University Men's Hockey
            NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
            Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
              Not sure how dated this link is, but it is pretty good...

http://www.chtg.net/
              I run the CHTG. Unfortunately it's not so easy to make the updates happen and I'm busy so I usually end up taking several months to publish them. I am thinking about turning it into a wiki.

At the very least, the bottom of each page has a last-updated date.
              Boston College Eagle Hockey » "We want our players to leave here with a diploma in one hand and a ring in the other." - Jerry York

Try FantasyCollegeHockey.com

sigpic

"I said, it's all in our hands / got to learn to respect what we don't understand /we are fortunate ones, fortunate ones, I swear."

Comment

Originally posted by Bob McKenzie View Post
                If you are looking for pre or post game at Quinnipiac, go to Eli's on Whitney or Eli's Brick Oven Pizza.
                Hamden has it's share of fast food too. McD's, BK, Wendy's, Taco Bell all within 5 minutes or so from the Bank. There's also an Applebee's, TGIF's, and Chili's, as well as Panera bread all located on the "magic mile" known as Dixwell Avenue.
                Quinnipiac Bobcats
                2023 National Champions
                ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
                Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
                Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
                  And if you're really in a hurry, there's a Wawa right near Baker Rink.

Those posters not familiar with the Philadelphia area may need need an explanation.

Comment

Some personal recommendations if you're in the Capital District:

Food

In Troy:

Brown's Brewing Co (River St. near Federal St.) - Microbrewery with good beer and good food, reasonable prices but can get kinda crowded on the weekends, especially if there's a show next door at Revolution Hall

The Notty Pine (15th St. and Hutton St.) - Local bar and restaurant about a half mile from Houston Field House, fair number of RPI fans can be found here before or after the games.

Ali Baba (15th St. btw. Hutton and Eagle) - right near the Notty Pine, good Mediterranean food.

Recovery Sports Grill (Hoosick St. near Burdett Ave.) - new sports bar/grill on the first floor of the new Hilton Garden Inn right down the street from the rink, pretty good food from the one time I've been there, lots of RPI sports paraphernalia decorate the place which is pretty cool.

Some other places in the Capital District I like:

Blue Spice (1619 Central Ave, Colonie): Thai food, a little pricey but both the food and service are great.

Karavalli (9 Johnson Road, Latham): Indian food, small place located in a strip mall but it's good.

You can also find a bunch of chains as well as smaller local places and fast food on Wolf Road in Colonie. Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Romano's, 99, PF Chang's, Cheesecake Factory, etc. There's not much that you can't find there.

Hotels

In Troy, the main one is the brand new Hilton Garden Inn mentioned above, which opened this past summer and plays host to visiting teams, guests of the Institute, etc. There's also the Franklin Square Inn downtown but I'm pretty sure it's expensive, and they have no booking or anything online.

There's a ton of places to stay in Latham and Colonie, around US-9 and Wolf Rd. 10-15 minutes from RPI and ~20 minutes from Union. Most of the hotel chains are represented as well as some local places, and it ranges from glorified motels to luxury places. A search on google maps will pop up plenty of options. My parents have stayed at several different places in the area and didn't have any real bad experiences.
                    APBWiki

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                      Those posters not familiar with the Philadelphia area may need need an explanation.
                      Heh. Wawa is a deli/convenience store. It's like a 7/11 except for the irrationally high regard in which it's held by people from Philly and South Jersey.
                      Cornell University Men's Hockey
                      NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
                      Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Forget the Wa. If you're going to Princeton for any reason, you MUST go to Hoagie Haven for dinner. This legendary sub shop, which has been mentioned at least twice on Jon Stewart's Daily Show among other places, is located on Nassau Street just East of campus near the intersection of Olden Street and has a culture all its own. Once you get past the "Italian" and "Cheesesteak" items, the menu ventures into a mysterious secret language, featuring sandwiches like the Bloch, the Phat Lady, and the Heartstop. When you order, they'll ask you "half or whole," which is code for 9-inches or 18-inches.

Students, faculty, alumni, townies, and athletes from visiting sports teams go out of their way to visit The Haven every time they visit campus, so by eating there, you'll be sharing an experience with many of the fans and players of ECAC hockey.
                        MAKE HOBEY PROUD!

"If there really is a hoop heaven, the house band would be Princeton's, troubadours in straw hats who played the theme from "Underdog" late in the Tigers' victory."
                        - Sports Illustrated 3/25/96
                        "We have 7 national championships. Who's ever heard of you guys?"
                        -Drunk NoDak Fan at 2008 Midwest Regional

Comment

If you're on the island, you should eat at Stumpy's. He is a Missing Link, Dion's uncle actually, and he makes great tacos. The secret is his sauce, which includes Missing Link urine, a true delicacy. Stumpy's even has Randy Newman singing about what he sees, when he's not working Thunder Island Hockey League games.

Comment

St. Lawrence/Clarkson-Sergi's
                            Cornell- The Rose
                            Colgate- Nichols and Beal
                            Yale-Any restaurant in New Haven
                            Quinnipiac-Eli's
                            Dartmouth-EBA's or Lui Lui's

Brown-crap shoot
                            Princeton-same thing
                            Harvard-again same thing
                            Union/RPI bunch of stuff on Airport Road
                            QU Bobcats

Comment

Originally posted by Zudnic View Post
                              I run the CHTG. Unfortunately it's not so easy to make the updates happen and I'm busy so I usually end up taking several months to publish them. I am thinking about turning it into a wiki.

At the very least, the bottom of each page has a last-updated date.
                              It's a great idea for a website. I always reference it when I'm curious about out-of-town arenas. I think you should turn it into a wiki, because there are some arenas who have lacking pages.
                              Ain't nothing but a husky dawg.

Comment

Working...
                              X